Gucci Bamboo Top-Handle Club: 1947 'till now

Hi everyone! :wave: I thought I would introduce myself in this thread (thanks for the invitation Papertiger!) because I just bought a new bamboo leather top handle bag. :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Unfotunately, I don't have pics to show all of you because I don't have it yet. I did not like the one on display at my store because the leather had some weird striations on it. So I asked the SA to find another one for me and get it brought in from another store. I am not a Gucci expert (only have one other Gucci bag which has held up really well) and don't know the color or size to give you guys any details. I tried looking on the Gucci website but the color I bought is not offered there. If my memory serves me right, it's a gray/beige neutral color. My receipt tells me nothing because the SA put the purchase on a gift card (not sure why?).

So until I have it in hand, I don't have any real news to share. I do find it interesting though that many of you are over at the H forum! :lol::lol:You know who you are! I guess many of us have similar taste.

Until my reveal, I have a few questions about this bag I hope you can help me answer.
1. Where do you put it at a restaurant if you are not using the shoulder strap? Do you carry your shoulder strap around inside the bag and hook it on when you need to hang it on a chair? I don't recall this bag having any feet but I cannot remember? The bamboo handle does not look like it will hang on a chair. If there is another chair free, I will certainly set it there but what if there isn't? And unfortunately, I don't always dine at restaurants where a bag pouf/stool is offered.

2. Do I need to condition the bamboo handle or treat it in any way? I saw in a previous post some cracking on the handle and it scared the living daylights out of me. Is this normal? I want this bag to be a forever bag and wonder if I need to be extra careful? I also read that some people have experienced the handle not keeping its shape and have a plastic strap on it to hold it together. Does the bag come with this strap or is this a DIY "McGuyver" contraption you ladies have developed?

I'm sorry for all the newbie questions. I can't wait to share my new beauty with you all when it finally arrives.

:yahoo:

Welcome MYH

Congratulations on your new bag-to-be, it sounds like a wonderful neutral, I hope the replacement comes soon. The BTH is an iconic piece and one of my all-time favourite bags, I'm know you're going to enjoy it.

It's true, for years, I've mostly spent my time and money in Gucci and H, these seem to make products fit for purpose, great quality and just in case have good aftercare.

To try and answer your questions

1. Both my bags are large so putting them on my lap is not an option, I wouldn't be able to get near the table :biggrin:.. My Stone version's double strap is quite heavy, so if I'm using it without I wouldn't choose to carry it around just to hang on the back of a chair either. For most of my larger top handles, I'll ask for a spare chair. If I'm dining with other women we'll usually share the 'bag chair/s'. At more up-market restaurants they are used to this 'strange' behaviour. If there's no room anywhere/no chair possible I will either sit forward on my chair and put the bag behind my back. Once I put my bag between my ankles and resting on my feet, I can't say it was very comfortable but I wasn't in there long.

2. Gucci store BTHs with the plastic strap before sale. In most stores they will take off the strap before they put it out or sell it, but I'm sure you can ask for it to be left on. I've had no trouble with either of my bags, and thinking about the vintage ones on this thread shows (I hope) it's an issue with individual bags and not usually a problem even after years.

Greetings MYH! Welcome and congrats on your BTH purchase. I have the smaller one in grey and adore its shape and versatility going from day to an evening after work event. I have had absolutely no problems with the quality of the leather or the bamboo handle. Of course I do not go looking for issues either as I tend to be very casual about my bags. I carry mine with the strap more than hand carry because it suits my lifestyle and running around more. If going to a wedding or special event, I hand carry and remove the strap. When going out to dinner I usually place on an extra chair with our jackets, etc. and sometimes in crowded cafes I will place it at the rear of my chair so it is nestled behind my back if I am concerned about purse snatchers, pickpockets lol. I think it is a great bag and always comes in such delightful colors and leathers. Gucci staff are always so friendly compared to H., I have never been poorly treated at their stores no matter how much I buy or what I am wearing. I'd love to give them more of my business, but alas, it is the silks that call out to me at H. Enjoy and we'd love to see your new Gucci baby when it arrives!

Welcome MYH

Congratulations on your new bag-to-be, it sounds like a wonderful neutral, I hope the replacement comes soon. The BTH is an iconic piece and one of my all-time favourite bags, I'm know you're going to enjoy it.

It's true, for years, I've mostly spent my time and money in Gucci and H, these seem to make products fit for purpose, great quality and just in case have good aftercare.

1. Both my bags are large so putting them on my lap is not an option, I wouldn't be able to get near the table :biggrin:.. My Stone version's double strap is quite heavy, so if I'm using it without I wouldn't choose to carry it around just to hang on the back of a chair either. For most of my larger top handles, I'll ask for a spare chair. If I'm dining with other women we'll usually share the 'bag chair/s'. At more up-market restaurants they are used to this 'strange' behaviour. If there's no room anywhere/no chair possible I will either sit forward on my chair and put the bag behind my back. Once I put my bag between my ankles and resting on my feet, I can't say it was very comfortable but I wasn't in there long.

2. Gucci store BTHs with the plastic strap before sale. In most stores they will take off the strap before they put it out or sell it, but I'm sure you can ask for it to be left on. I've had no trouble with either of my bags, and thinking about the vintage ones on this thread shows (I hope) it's an issue with individual bags and not usually a problem even after years.

Greetings MYH! Welcome and congrats on your BTH purchase. I have the smaller one in grey and adore its shape and versatility going from day to an evening after work event. I have had absolutely no problems with the quality of the leather or the bamboo handle. Of course I do not go looking for issues either as I tend to be very casual about my bags. I carry mine with the strap more than hand carry because it suits my lifestyle and running around more. If going to a wedding or special event, I hand carry and remove the strap. When going out to dinner I usually place on an extra chair with our jackets, etc. and sometimes in crowded cafes I will place it at the rear of my chair so it is nestled behind my back if I am concerned about purse snatchers, pickpockets lol. I think it is a great bag and always comes in such delightful colors and leathers. Gucci staff are always so friendly compared to H., I have never been poorly treated at their stores no matter how much I buy or what I am wearing. I'd love to give them more of my business, but alas, it is the silks that call out to me at H. Enjoy and we'd love to see your new Gucci baby when it arrives!

Thank you Papertiger and Lanit for the warm welcome! And thanks for sharing what you do with the bag. I think I will try to ask for another chair, but if there isn't space, it will have to go behind me on my chair and I will just have to scoot forward! Oh the sacrifices we make for our handbags. We are crazy! :roflmfao: Who knows, maybe sitting forward on the chair will force me to have better posture. :lol:

And thanks for alleviating my concerns about the bamboo handle. I will stop fretting about it getting distorted.

Lanit - I'm with you! The call of the H silks is too strong to ignore. Luckily H and Gucci are very close together at my mall so I can easily stop by both!

The SA from Gucci just called and said she thinks she has located one without the weird striations on the front. It is being delivered this Wed. I am crossing my fingers that it is the ONE. I cannot wait to get my hands on it. :woot:

MYH, I can't wait to see your BTH once you get it. The BTH is definitely the holy grail of my collection. I pretty much always carry mine by the strap. It usually goes on a chair beside me, but I'm always cautious about where I put it when out. I'm like that with all of my handbags. Once you have it in hand it will definitely become a lifelong piece.

Can't wait for your BTH reveal!

I am counting down the days until Wed! I will post pics right away.

MYH, I can't wait to see your BTH once you get it. The BTH is definitely the holy grail of my collection. I pretty much always carry mine by the strap. It usually goes on a chair beside me, but I'm always cautious about where I put it when out. I'm like that with all of my handbags. Once you have it in hand it will definitely become a lifelong piece.

Thanks bama_gucci! I think I will probably also carry mine by the strap too.

The SA from Gucci just called and said she thinks she has located one without the weird striations on the front. It is being delivered this Wed. I am crossing my fingers that it is the ONE. I cannot wait to get my hands on it. :woot:

We're all crossing our fingers for you :woohoo:

Nice bags. I want one also. Need to start saving. So may bags to buy so little time. :panic:

Take your time and don't panic, every time i think I'm going to miss out on the bag of my dreams, a better version comes out ;)

Ok. Look what came home with me? :biggrin:

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1377734105.151895.jpg

She was actually a bit darker than I remembered but I was ok with that.
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1377734128.150321.jpg

The bamboo handle. Love the dark color but not sure if the cracks are normal? I saw a previous poster with the same issue. But honestly, if I hadn't read the other post, I would not have even noticed or cared.
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1377734140.630089.jpg

A little peek at the color.
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1377734151.533831.jpg

I didn't ask what this color was called but I would say it's a light brown/mushroom color. I'm hoping to use it year round. Here's the full frontal. :lol: Not a huge bag but a great size for me. Wearing the shoulder strap is comfortable too and it stays on which is a miracle for me because I have weird slopey shoulders. I will take better pictures in natural light tomorrow. It's evening here so these pictures will have to suffice for now.
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1377734169.238997.jpg

And I was pleasantly surprised to find a light tan suede interior!
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1377734180.655287.jpg

This purchase caught me by surprise! I was walking around the mall waiting for DH to meet me and I never go into the Gucci store. But I was bored that day and had checked all my other usual haunts already and she was just sitting there by the front entrance. I went to pick up the bag and found it SO heavy. So was about to put her back when the SA came rushing over to ask if I had any questions. I said, no because this bag is too heavy! and she said that was because the mirror was inside. Well I thought, how much can a mirror weight and it turns out ALOT! Then she showed me a shoulder strap that could be attached and I felt myself starting to get reeled in. Uh oh! I slipped her on my shoulder and she stayed on and the strap length was just right. Danger! Danger! Next thing I know my wallet is open. The rest is history. So glad to have found this little club on purse forum.

Thanks for stopping by!

Last edited:

Welcome MYH

Can't wait for your BTH reveal!

She's here and I posted pics! Check the thread. Thank you for sharing in my excitement with me.

View attachment 2312232

View attachment 2312233

The bamboo handle. Love the dark color but not sure if the cracks are normal? I saw a previous poster with the same issue. But honestly, if I hadn't read the other post, I would not have even noticed or cared.
View attachment 2312234

View attachment 2312235

I didn't ask what this color was called but I would say it's a light brown/mushroom color. I'm hoping to use it year round. Here's the full frontal. :lol: Not a huge bag but a great size for me. Wearing the shoulder strap is comfortable too and it stays on which is a miracle for me because I have weird slopey shoulders. I will take better pictures in natural light tomorrow. It's evening here so these pictures will have to suffice for now.
View attachment 2312236

View attachment 2312237

This purchase caught me by surprise! I was walking around the mall waiting for DH to meet me and I never go into the Gucci store. But I was bored that day and had checked all my other usual haunts already and she was just sitting there by the front entrance. I went to pick up the bag and found it SO heavy. So was about to put her back when the SA came rushing over to ask if I had any questions. I said, no because this bag is too heavy! and she said that was because the mirror was inside. Well I thought, how much can a mirror weight and it turns out ALOT! Then she showed me a shoulder strap that could be attached and I felt myself starting to get reeled in. Uh oh! I slipped her on my shoulder and she stayed on and the strap length was just right. Danger! Danger! Next thing I know my wallet is open. The rest is history. So glad to have found this little club on purse forum.

Thanks for stopping by!

Beautiful BTH and it's the perfect colour for all seasons! :loveeyes: Congrats! Welcome to the club - this club could always use more members!

Yes the mirror weighs quite a bit but it's pretty.:smile:

View attachment 2312232

View attachment 2312233

View attachment 2312234

View attachment 2312235

View attachment 2312236

View attachment 2312237

Thanks for stopping by!

Breathtaking! :tender: Love the colour, like you say a very good neutral.

Congratulations MYH

Yes, the mirror weighs a ton, I often take it out if I'm out all day (just have to be careful I don't lose it)

View attachment 2312232

View attachment 2312233

View attachment 2312234

View attachment 2312235

View attachment 2312236

View attachment 2312237

Thanks for stopping by!
mYH - ooh she is gorgeous! What a beautiful warm color she is! Yes, I too was surprised at the weight at first, but due to the craftsmanship, she is a Joy to carry. I don't mind the tiny bit of crazing on my handle, after all, bamboo is a natural material and I tend to appreciate the imperfections. Enjo your pretty bag. Your interiors are such a lovely backdrop too.:woohoo:

My bag has a fabric interior. I wonder when Gucci changed that, and maybe that could also affect weight. Still think it s a beautiful bag!