Getting on the list in London - experts needed

LittleH

O.G.
Aug 12, 2008
Dear TPF'ers,

I know you have all given advice in the past on where to shop, etc. But, I need some expert advice from you. In 1.5Y I will turn 30 and my gift to myself is a 35cm Birkin. However, even though there are beautiful items on ebay from gorgeous resellers I do want to get the whole buying from H experience.
I live in South Ken and typically buy my scarves, smaller items and jewellery items from the Sloane St shop or the Harrods concession but so far I have not established a relationship per se with a unique SA.
I have already been a couple of times to the Sloane St shop in recent days to enquire about getting on the list for a new Birkin, and I am informed that it will be opening sometime in the middle of September.
I am desperate to do well and to ensure that I manage to get on the list this time round.
Hence my enquiry to you ladies and gentlemen: what is the "marche a suivre" that you would recommend? How should I proceed? Are my chances equal if I visit Bond St or Sloane St or even the Royal Exchange on the day of the opening of the list?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

My advice would be to keep calling as well - I don't live in London but managed to get on the list last year and got my birkin in 2 months. A little persistency will definitely pay off. Also you may want to try Paris or other European cities, my first birkin came from a chance holiday in Brussels. Good luck and keep us posted.

When the list is open it is first come first served to what they have ordered, so keep in touch with both Bond str and Sloane str as their lists might not open on the same day.

Thanks provocateur123, mooks, mawsey and ladyhermes for your replies!!!

I have been calling pretty much every day and will continue doing so until I get a sense of which day it is. I had no idea the bond st and sloane st could have different days, good to know!

So once I finally manage to get the date (fingers crossed), I'm thinking of arming myself with my best behaviour and going to one of the shops at opening time. Now the question is what happens once I'm inside? I've been to H shops a zillion times to buy small stuff for me and larger items for my mum but never to get on a list for a Birkin.. What do people do on such occasion... I wonder?

Going to other cities in Europe is a good idea. I am permanently travelling but I've always assumed I wouldn't find my B on the shelf, so maybe I'll try my luck going forward.

They won't tell anyone when the list opens until it is actually open, so in other words you won't find out ahead of time. This is why you should always phone first thing in the morning to find out if the list has opened that day

Chances are when you get there the queue may be lengthy......last time Bond Street opened the list following podium it was opened and closed in half a day as they preallocated their bags so quickly

T

Going to other cities in Europe is a good idea. I am permanently travelling but I've always assumed I wouldn't find my B on the shelf, so maybe I'll try my luck going forward.

Definitely visit H in other European cities. The choice of colors or leathers may be limited to what you would settle for, but there are quite a few cities where there have been birkins on the shelf for the taking. Paris is always going to be the best bet, but Brussels and Amsterdam also seem to be lucky draws for Birkin hunters. :yes:

Hi! I am also a newbie but have bought something from the Bond St store. (last year). I was there last thursday (Sep 4th) and they told me it should be this week or next. Best to go in and speak to an SA and get her card so that you can ring her personally each day and she knows you.
You should go in Mon/Tues to discuss the leathers etc so that you know what you want because it quite a selection process.
Like you I live closer to Sloane Street but have always had more luck with Bond St which has a bigger selection. Also the head of bag buying for the UK works there. Good Luck!:smile:

Last edited:
Hi! I am also a newbie but have bought something from the Bond St store. (last year). I was there last thursday (Sep 4th) and they told me it should be this week or next. Best to go in and speak to an SA and get her card so that you can ring her personally each day and she knows you.
You should go in Mon/Tues to discuss the leathers etc so that you know what you want because it quite a selection process.
Like you I live closer to Sloane Street but have always had more luck with Bond St which has a bigger selection. Also the head of bag buying for the UK works there. Good Luck!:smile:

This isn't for a regular post podium order though, if you go in to select leathers before the list is open then that is an order or special order not a presell......for the presell you only see the leathers once you get there as the list opens and they know what they have available to sell from what they have been allocated following podium