Gelish, soak off gel polish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reete2- Thanks :smile: It is Good Gossip. :smile: It's not the best pic to show all the sparkles :sad:

Alismom- Thanks :smile: You are right it does take some getting used to. It's slowly growing on me. I think Gelish is soo easy to apply that I am worried that I won't find Shellac as forgiving...what do you think? I have both sets now.

Reete2- Thanks :smile: It is Good Gossip. :smile: It's not the best pic to show all the sparkles :sad:

Alismom- Thanks :smile: You are right it does take some getting used to. It's slowly growing on me. I think Gelish is soo easy to apply that I am worried that I won't find Shellac as forgiving...what do you think? I have both sets now.

Shellac is actually easier to apply than Gelish, at least to me...it goes on much smoother and more evenly.

I like Good Gossip too, my nick name for it is 'Dorothy's Slipper'...it is my husbands favorite as well. There are pictures of my manicure with it on page 4...you're right it is very hard to capture the sparkle.

I got my nails done a few days ago at a salon. When I called for a Shellac manicure she said sure but when I got there for my appointment she told me she was out of most parts of the Shellac and she used other things instead. I think she used Gelish for the base coat and Axxium for the color (bubble bath), and a shellac top coat. I like my nails but there are a couple of little bubbles or something in it.
I want to get a system to use at home, my best friend is licensed to do nails and I she will do them for me. I will buy the stuff and we will do it together.

I am deciding between Shellac and Gelish. She keeps talking about the OPI system but I have heard negative things about it.
I am thinking about this: base coat from Gelish, colors from either Shellac or Gelish, top coat from Shellac, Scrubfresh from CND. Sound like it would work? ?

I am deciding between Shellac and Gelish. She keeps talking about the OPI system but I have heard negative things about it.
I am thinking about this: base coat from Gelish, colors from either Shellac or Gelish, top coat from Shellac, Scrubfresh from CND. Sound like it would work? ?

Based on others' experiences that they've blogged about, I believe this should, tho I personally have not used anything other than all Gelish at this point. I will say that I have not used Scrubfresh or the PhBond on my nails with the Gelish, and I don't seem to have any problems with adhesion. However, my nails were quite "dry" in appearance after removing prior polish with 100% pure acetone, so I didn't want to risk drying them out further anyway. Could be that I'm prone as it is to dry, brittle nails as mine do less splitting, and more chipping off of corners of my natural nails.

Boy, they are really up in arms about us now.

xxxx we don't allow links to or discussions about other forums

I understand that they are worried about their business, but it happens, things change and move forward. The good nail techs with skill, good customer service and reasonable prices will always be in demand.

I do enjoy the convenience of doing it myself, but if there was a salon or tech close by that was doing gelish or shellac at a reasonable price, I would go...just as I still go for my pedicures. I love to be pampered, but I refuse to pay $45 (plus tip) for something that is so easy to do and I can do in 30-40 minutes at home. Besides, the closest salon doing it, is still 30-35 away from me, without traffic.

From sbrydun on BT:
I'm not worried about DIY working on their own nails but when they introduce to their friends and then on, it is damaging to our business. It lends itself to the mentality that "it so easy a monkey can do it". Which we all know is not the case.

ROFLMA, sorry...they are mad at us for feeling that way, but we all know sometimes it is the truth that hurts most...and the truth is it is very easy. Please, don't insult my intelligence trying to pretend otherwise. Please, don't be mad because I was smarter or quicker to jump on the trend and order my products...place the blame, where it belongs...on yourself.

Gillianna is right, as well as one tech on BT who freely admits, she saw the writing on the wall and so she stocked up is set on shellac product for awhile. When I first heard the base and top coat where getting scarce, I did the research and saw it will last 2 years unopened, found a place that had it in stock & I ordered 2 back ups of each. Now needless to say CND has stepped up production and within a couple of months all of this scramble for product will die down, but in the mean time those with the sense or luck to get it while they could are doing fine, such is the nature of life. I admit, I don't care for the gouging ($100 bottles of base of ebay), but I feel no ethical misgivings about having enough product for myself and my friends to last for a good year or 2, when all the hoopla will def be gone...I forked out the money and took the risk and now I get to reap the benefits, it is as simple as that.

Last point: All this focus on must have a license, CT doesn't require a license neither does Canada...are all those techs less qualified? What about all the people (many of them, just read BT) having problems; nail lifting, nails splitting, etc after going to a licensed person...didn't really seem to help those poor gals now does it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow I had a feeling this would get ugly. I for one am not ungrateful or rubbing anything in anyone's face and I think it is wrong to do so. I have always done my own nails my whole life and so I am not someone who would have ever gone to the salon for these. If I could not get them, I'd just use regular polish as I always have. I am thrilled to get it and happy with the products and hope that we do not get banned from buying them. I don't think DIY's should be posting to a "professionals only" board. Yes it's a free country but this is inciting these people. I don't want to anger anyone, I just want to do my own thing. I am not converting all my friends to it either. Anyone who goes to salons for manis, pedis will always go. I also trim my own bangs but yes I do go in for a haircut when I need one. I'm not trying to hurt anyone or rule the world. I think they are mad at the "in your face" attitude they are perceiving people posting have and maybe as this is their livelyhood that is understandable. Hopefully everyone can just back off and co-exist peacefully.

Boy, they are really up in arms about us now.

x

The good nail techs with skill, good customer service and reasonable prices will always be in demand.

ROFLMA, sorry...they are mad at us for feeling that way, but we all know sometimes it is the truth that hurts most...and the truth is it is very easy.

Argee with the good nail tech statement. Mine would never have time to hang out there, she's too busy being in demand.

I will still pay to have some one do my nails & toes. She does 100 times over a much better job than I ever would. never had a problem with peeling & this gel polish lasts. Have never been a good polisher. It get's all over the sides of my nails casue I want the whole nail painted not like alot of people paint their nails.

The other reason is my DH is allergic to the smell of polish & remover, we can't have it in our house.

Its worth it to me to go to the salon. I have the money & choose to spend it this way.

Good thing we all don't spend our money the same way.

I did read some of that link. Will say my nail gal said almost everyone of the other nail techs in her shop did not show an interest in Shellac or gel polish initially. They thought they were too much money & work. It was several weeks after they were out & people started talking before they jumped on the bandwagon. They wouldn't spend the money to go get the training when it was in town. So it certainly isn't the end consumer to be blamed. There is plenty to go around. They are doing nails not open heart surgery. She also said OPI Axxiom is a horrible product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow I had a feeling this would get ugly. I for one am not ungrateful or rubbing anything in anyone's face and I think it is wrong to do so. I have always done my own nails my whole life and so I am not someone who would have ever gone to the salon for these. If I could not get them, I'd just use regular polish as I always have. I am thrilled to get it and happy with the products and hope that we do not get banned from buying them. I don't think DIY's should be posting to a "professionals only" board. Yes it's a free country but this is inciting these people. I don't want to anger anyone, I just want to do my own thing. I am not converting all my friends to it either. Anyone who goes to salons for manis, pedis will always go. I also trim my own bangs but yes I do go in for a haircut when I need one. I'm not trying to hurt anyone or rule the world. I think they are mad at the "in your face" attitude they are perceiving people posting have and maybe as this is their livelyhood that is understandable. Hopefully everyone can just back off and co-exist peacefully.

I see your point, but to me posting the truth isn't 'rubbing' any one's face in it. Sometimes when there is so much truth in a statement, that is when it hurts the most.

To play devils advocate, did this thread and the shellac thread help you find and use the products? They certainly helped me and and I think many others...should we silence ourselves just to make them feel better?

There are wonderful clients out there like VLL, concentrate on attracting and keeping them...not whining about the DIYers and they will be better off. I can see, I am a the type of customer they would be sad to lose. I am friendly, on time, tip well, and never complain, but the lack of shellac and gelish close by and the ridiculous prices drove me to try DIY...if it comes close to me and at a decent price, I will skip the DIY...but in the meantime, I will not be ashamed for having the brains and skill to do it myself, nor for sharing the information here and with my friends IRL.

Last edited:
I do think we have every right to post HERE -- maybe just not posting direct links to fingernailfixer since she has asked we not. I just don't think a DIY should post there when it says right at the top it is for pros only. I understand though too that if they are reading this thread then they are getting angry here. I don't know...I just am trying to be sympathetic to them while at the same time wanting to do my own thing. I do think that the research we all found of how to use it helped us all and I think that is angering them too. I think the bottom line for me is that I am not someone who ever went to the salon for nails so they are not losing business or $ from me doing my own as I have always done. I do think they are very sensitive and when someone says how easy it is it angers them so yea I totally get what you're saying too. LOL -- How neutral can I be? I am also worried about buying in future if they crack down on licenses.

I did read some of that link. Will say my nail gal said almost everyone of the other nail techs in her shop did not show an interest in Shellac or gel polish initially. They thought they were too much money & work. It was several weeks after they were out & people started talking before they jumped on the bandwagon. They wouldn't spend the money to go get the training when it was in town. So it certainly isn't the end consumer to be blamed. There is plenty to go around. They are doing nails not open heart surgery. She also said OPI Axxiom is a horrible product.

Exactly.

The whole thing to me is a bit of common sense and research. I looked at the Axxiom when it first came and stayed far away...but when shellac came along and could tell it was the real deal.

I am the one who posts on BT that started that thread. What angers me most is those that damage our industry by price gouging or selling services without proper training. I know some may not understand what I learn in my 450 hrs of schooling and on hand training and that is fine I don't have to time to school you on that.

I don't care if you work on yourself or learn to do it yourself. The demand for nail techs will always be there as most can't even polish. Heck I have a hard doing my own toe nails and still pay for someone to do it for me when I can.

It is just the negative attitude that we went to school but yet look how easy and how much better you are that rubs me the wrong way. It is upsetting to us that we are running a business and can't get our hand on product, by the way were order IN ADVANCE, because those that don't use the product for business purpose have their hands on it. We are like everyone else and trying to make a living but some of you don't seem to understand that. We care about our industry! When professional products get into the wrong hand without the proper knowledge that is when the trouble begins. We work with chemicals and without the proper training or basic understanding of chemistry you open yourself up to lot of trouble.

Go ahead and poo poo on us trying to keep others safe and our lively hood intact.

I just feel like I needed to get my point across here. Enjoy your products and I hope to you that you don't loose a nail or get some kind of contact dermatitis from over exposure to products in which you are not schooled in to use.

FYI, I work in a spa and have enough clients to keep myself busy. I tend to post at night when I should be sleeping ;)

I do think we have every right to post HERE -- maybe just not posting direct links to fingernailfixer since she has asked we not. I just don't think a DIY should post there when it says right at the top it is for pros only. I understand though too that if they are reading this thread then they are getting angry here. I don't know...I just am trying to be sympathetic to them while at the same time wanting to do my own thing. I do think that the research we all found of how to use it helped us all and I think that is angering them too. I think the bottom line for me is that I am not someone who ever went to the salon for nails so they are not losing business or $ from me doing my own as I have always done. I do think they are very sensitive and when someone says how easy it is it angers them so yea I totally get what you're saying too. LOL -- How neutral can I be? I am also worried about buying in future if they crack down on licenses.

Well the truth is, by law a license is not required to buy the product. The distributors are trying to walk the fine between selling as much product as they can (including to DIYers) and keeping the nail techs, who are their bread and butter happy. In the end, the realistic truth is someone will always be willing to sell DIYers the product...and that truth hurts as well.

I am the one who posts on BT that started that thread. What angers me most is those that damage our industry by price gouging or selling services without proper training. I know some may not understand what I learn in my 450 hrs of schooling and on hand training and that is fine I don't have to time to school you on that.

I don't care if you work on yourself or learn to do it yourself. The demand for nail techs will always be there as most can't even polish. Heck I have a hard doing my own toe nails and still pay for someone to do it for me when I can.

It is just the negative attitude that we went to school but yet look how easy and how much better you are that rubs me the wrong way. It is upsetting to us that we are running a business and can't get our hand on product, by the way were order IN ADVANCE, because those that don't use the product for business purpose have their hands on it. We are like everyone else and trying to make a living but some of you don't seem to understand that. We care about our industry! When professional products get into the wrong hand without the proper knowledge that is when the trouble begins. We work with chemicals and without the proper training or basic understanding of chemistry you open yourself up to lot of trouble.

Go ahead and poo poo on us trying to keep others safe and our lively hood intact.

I just feel like I needed to get my point across here. Enjoy your products and I hope to you that you don't loose a nail or get some kind of contact dermatitis from over exposure to products in which you are not schooled in to use.

FYI, I work in a spa and have enough clients to keep myself busy. I tend to post at night when I should be sleeping ;)

I appreciate your post.

This is main point...these products themselves pride themselves on the lack of chemicals, which is what make's them more DIY friendly. Also, because the extreme control available via the bottle/brush make mishaps much less likely. I said it before the most damaging and dangerous process is the acetone for removal...which is available at any Sally's...now that is not to say it isn't dangerous, because it can be very damaging. Again, here is where common sense come into play. Thankfully, I have it so I trust myself to use it with care and respect. Now, my sister, honestly I wouldn't trust to acetone...ever...needless to say, I haven't mentioned these products to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.