Gelish, soak off gel polish

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am the one who posts on BT that started that thread. What angers me most is those that damage our industry by price gouging or selling services without proper training. I know some may not understand what I learn in my 450 hrs of schooling and on hand training and that is fine I don't have to time to school you on that.

I don't care if you work on yourself or learn to do it yourself. The demand for nail techs will always be there as most can't even polish. <<--- CORRECT, you have job security no matter HOW MANY DIY'ers there are!
Heck I have a hard doing my own toe nails and still pay for someone to do it for me when I can.

It is just the negative attitude that we went to school but yet look how easy and how much better you are that rubs me the wrong way. It is upsetting to us that we are running a business and can't get our hand on product, by the way were order IN ADVANCE, because those that don't use the product for business purpose have their hands on it. We are like everyone else and trying to make a living but some of you don't seem to understand that. We care about our industry! When professional products get into the wrong hand without the proper knowledge that is when the trouble begins. We work with chemicals and without the proper training or basic understanding of chemistry you open yourself up to lot of trouble.

Go ahead and poo poo on us trying to keep others safe and our lively hood intact.

I just feel like I needed to get my point across here. Enjoy your products and I hope to you that you don't loose a nail or get some kind of contact dermatitis from over exposure to products in which you are not schooled in to use.

FYI, I work in a spa and have enough clients to keep myself busy. I tend to post at night when I should be sleeping ;)
Sadly, I don't think DIY'rs are going to put ANY nail techs out of business. Sometimes it's a benefit when someone has so much money they could buy the products and do it themselves but they value their time more than that so they pay someone else to do it for them, and quicker most likely!

Let's say I was a tire installer, and Goodyear produced some super nice limited tires and I couldn't wait to install them because I knew customers would be thrilled to have a great tire and I'd a good job putting it on (as would any other car pro). Then I find out that GY also sold or provided the tires available to the consumer directly, and some people (customers) who had the equipment to make that happen wanted to mount/balance/install their own tires and NOT pay me to do it... so who am I going to be pissed at? GY for selling to the person I was hoping to sell to or to the customer in being savvy enough to have the know-how to install on their own and cut out me the middle man/woman?

Sometimes it's making sure the person or persons you are frustrated at or with are really the right people to be blaming for the frustration.

I respect everyone's time, the schooling behind who they are and how they got there.... there is NO disrespect intended. But as I learned in school, some learn things faster, easier and w/o as much trouble as others no matter WHAT the schooling they attended.

I am the one who posts on BT that started that thread. What angers me most is those that damage our industry by price gouging or selling services without proper training. I know some may not understand what I learn in my 450 hrs of schooling and on hand training and that is fine I don't have to time to school you on that.

It is just the negative attitude that we went to school but yet look how easy and how much better you are that rubs me the wrong way. It is upsetting to us that we are running a business and can't get our hand on product, by the way were order IN ADVANCE, because those that don't use the product for business purpose have their hands on it. We are like everyone else and trying to make a living but some of you don't seem to understand that. We care about our industry! When professional products get into the wrong hand without the proper knowledge that is when the trouble begins. We work with chemicals and without the proper training or basic understanding of chemistry you open yourself up to lot of trouble.

Go ahead and poo poo on us trying to keep others safe and our lively hood intact.

I just feel like I needed to get my point across here. Enjoy your products and I hope to you that you don't loose a nail or get some kind of contact dermatitis from over exposure to products in which you are not schooled in to use.

FYI, I work in a spa and have enough clients to keep myself busy. I tend to post at night when I should be sleeping ;)

I'm going to throw my $.02 in because I specifically see my posts having been quoted in the "opposing" forum. I'm not going to get into a debate over one's interpretation over the written word -- the beauty (and disadvantage) to the internet is the anonymity it provides... but like email, because you do not get to see the person making the comment, hear the inflection in their voice, and understand the tone being use and the intent of the message, comments to posts like these are very easily misinterpreted. I see that happen ALL the time on all of the forums, professional and lay-person alike. That being said, I think it's only fair to allow me to explain the rationale for MY comment, which was made really to just point out the hypocracy that we had been asked to not post links to a certain professional's videos on this site, and yet links to this thread were posted on a professional tech forum. The worst part, is my comments were then taken completely out of context and then I was disparaged. It might have been nice to let the "other forum" know that FNF's post was the basis for the rash of comments on this thread. I dont think ANYONE here meant for his/her comments to come across as insulting or to demean anyone's professional education and training. And I understand the frustration about resellers who are attempting to gouge both the professionals and general public on those products. Then again, anyone insane enough to pay $100 for a bottle of Shellac should be ashamed of themselves because there area lot of charitable causes that woudl be grateful for a donation of $83. That being said, can we all just move along and get back to the topic at hand? These fabulous products? I showed my nails to my hairdresser (her and her mom have a 2 woman shop, and her mom does a lot of nails) and her mom had just gotten promotional material from that Jessica brand. After seeing my nails and hearing my feedback, she's going to talk to her distributor and look into whether or not a SOG polish is right for her clients. Sweet! How lucky for her clients.

We care about our industry! When professional products get into the wrong hand without the proper knowledge that is when the trouble begins. We work with chemicals and without the proper training or basic understanding of chemistry you open yourself up to lot of trouble.

Enjoy your products and I hope to you that you don't loose a nail or get some kind of contact dermatitis from over exposure to products in which you are not schooled in to use.

I should add, the fact that you are this passionate about your industry, your chosen profession, so as to be this upset is not a bad thing in my mind. Clearly you do care, as do your colleagues who are just as upset for his/her own personal reasons. Honestly, if every professional were as passionate as you, we would not be subject to these stories about all of the crap people catch at salons, spas, etc. Yes, the consumer must be diligent about keeping their eyes open, and I don't think its ever any technician's intent to pass along a disease, etc., but obviously there are licensed "professionals" out there who have/maintain/practice etc. unsanitary habits/establishments, and thus every few months we see the latest "shock video" piece about some poor person who has lost a leg, or been severely disfigured, over a salon visit gone bad. I applaud any professional who is that passionate about what he/she does as to always put the safety of the consumer (and the practicing professional) first. So while those NSS are certainly NOT your competition, they do, generally (and unfortunately), very often wind up providing the public with a negative image of your industry.

JMHO.

Hi all, just wanted to give another Gelish update! I am a week and a half into my manicure, and about 4 days ago, I filed down all my nails since they were way too long. I was planning to redo my nails this weekend, and then I injured my hand and now have stitches and a splint. I was worried all my nails would lift because of the filing, but no, still look perfect! This is really going to give my manicure a test, as I don't get the stitches out until Sept. 3rd, and need to wear the splint for 2 more weeks after that....I bet they will still look great, just super grown out!

LOVE love Gelish. :smile: Here is my good hand, blurry from my cell phone.

Attachments

• nails.jpg
    nails.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 1,529
Last edited:
tracy814 -- Nice! Is that Princess Tiara? It looks like a light lavendar. Is it?

I cut my nails down yesterday because they were driving me nuts... too long to be useful for work. First time I've ever cut them rather than file them down. Lesson learned... I won't be cutting them down again... I'll stick to filing! Within 3 hours, the polish on the three fingers of mine that are prone to peeling promptly started lifting. The other 7 seem to be ok still. I've repolished the 3 fingers that lifted, and for an experiment, am trying a nail bond solution on the tips of those three fingers (I don't generally seem to need it even though the instructions say to use PhBond). My next polish will be a Shellac, so it'll be a while before I get back to experimenting with the Gelish to see what steps work... but i'm still pleased with my Bashful manicure. The polish has lasted far longer than the water decal did. ;o) That came off after 3 days... there's a reason why it only cost me $2 for a pack of 25. I stamped a Konad butterfly on the top of one of my nails instead. That's still going strong.

tracy814 -- Nice! Is that Princess Tiara? It looks like a light lavendar. Is it?

Yes, indeed, Princess Tiara! I can't wait for fall to try my darker colors - Sweet Chocolate and Elegant Wish. Now that I am used to the application and my nails are nice and long (and they have never been this long before!), I think the dark colors will look great!

Keep us posted on what you try!

tracy814 your nails look great. Wishing you a speedy recovery on your other hand! It will last, trust me. I just removed a mani today that was day 20 and it didn't even look the least worn. Just too much growth in the cuticle. It did take longer to soak off maybe by 5 min. but I am very cautious and soak until it just needs gentle pushing with the orangewood stick. I never force anything off. My nails look fantastic underneath. Now I need to pick what color to wear next!

I LOVE this color! I wish there was something like this for Shellac. I don't have the Gelish system.

Look on the Shellac site for the .pdf about color combos -- I think there's a couple of different combos that will produce lavendar/grey tones. I want to say Fedora/Tutti Frutti might produce a lavendar tone. Personally, I don't like the streak effect that I've noticed on some of the shellac manicures from trying to coat one color over another. I still have my dappen dish from my acrylic days -- my thought is that if and when I'm ready to start combining colors, I'll probably put a bit of each color I want to combine into the dappen dish (mine is glass, so easy clean-up!) and mix in there, so I'd be applying a pre-mixed color. No streaking. :smile: Should easily be able to use the brush of the darker polish to apply.

Last edited:
anyone got the following colors (and or pics they can post):

Elegant wish
Bella's vampire
Night reflection
Stand Out

I'm looking for a deep burgundy/puple-type color... something along the lines of OPI's Suzi Loves Sydney. I've got a blue/pink undertone and red/brown tones don't usually suit me. I see that Elegant Wish and Bella's Vampire are both desribed as red/brown tones -- one is the creme and the other is the frost-- and Stand Out is supposed to be a red/blue creme. I've looked at the color wheels earlier in the thread, but its just so hard to tell. Can anyone help me figure out which of those 4 is closest to the OPI color?

BTW, I see there is a B2/G1F promotion on the Gelish colors...

Look on the Shellac site for the .pdf about color combos -- I think there's a couple of different combos that will produce lavendar/grey tones.
I actually posted a wheel with some combos on the shellac thread (page 26), for a grey/lavender colour Fedora+Negligee is the way to go!

RunnerGal1 I love your idea of premixing 2 colours, I will definitely give it a go as I don't like the streaking effect as a result of layering!

I have specifically seen posts on the nail boards saying not to mix the colors... not sure if there is a real reason not to or if it's like the lamps... definitely let us know how this goes! I'd be interested to know.

Has anyone ever encounter any of the problems supposedly associated with applying too thick? I've heard of wrinkling but haven't experienced it. I have found though that if it's too thin it is more streaky- even when just using 1 color. I have 3 coats of Tropix on my toes- 2 didn't give enough coverage. On my fingers I have one coat Strawbwrey Smoothie and one coat Negligée and I like the color but wish it were more opaque- next time I do this color combo I would do 2 coats Strawberry and 1 coat Negligée. Maybe it's less streaky if you do slightly thicker coats or double up on one of the colors...?

I really want to get one of those color wheel things so I can do some experimenting myself. Celinbelini did you use base and top when making those or just the polishes?

on the wheel I use base and top as well, I dont know whether it's really necessary though!

ok so I just tried Fedora+Negligee as a mix!
it's very difficult to control the final colour. I tried with 2 drops of Fedora in a glass and add some Negligee.. first 1 drop, then another... I added up to 14 drops of Negligee and the mix was still very dark and not even close to the lavender you get when layering!

The application/cure on the wheel did not pose any problem; the final result was a sheer purple-ish.
What I liked: there is no streak and it's a new colour!
What I did not like: not even close to the colour I wanted+ it needed 5 layers to be a bit more opaque (but that is probably because I uesd a very sheer polish to start with)

just realised we were on the Gelish thread... sorry!

ps:when I layer, I always put 2 coats of the first colour

anyone got the following colors (and or pics they can post):

Elegant wish
Bella's vampire
Night reflection
Stand Out

I'm looking for a deep burgundy/puple-type color... something along the lines of OPI's Suzi Loves Sydney. I've got a blue/pink undertone and red/brown tones don't usually suit me. I see that Elegant Wish and Bella's Vampire are both desribed as red/brown tones -- one is the creme and the other is the frost-- and Stand Out is supposed to be a red/blue creme. I've looked at the color wheels earlier in the thread, but its just so hard to tell. Can anyone help me figure out which of those 4 is closest to the OPI color?

BTW, I see there is a B2/G1F promotion on the Gelish colors...

If you scroll to page 6 on this thread you'll see my pics wearing Night Reflection. It looks like a dark purple frost in the bottle but on the nail it reads eggplant in most lights. I don't know if it's close to the OPI color. I have a lot of OPI but not that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.