Friends Chat Thread: Wardrobe, Fun, and Whatever

Eagle, congratulations on weight loss and the lower A1c count!! And thanks for the update on negative ease. Makes sense now.

Jolie, you are right - my one pair of ankle pants are low rise and I feel like a munchkin - if they were high waist, and I had less frontage, they would look very sharp.
I made a pair of pants a couple of years ago and they wrinkled at the center lower back. This was not an easy topic to find on u-tube (pants are not my specialty). The only advice I could find was that if this appeared one should chop off the wrinkles. I did that. Sadly, I found out I had created a pair of bumsters, especially when I sat down.

I found out the remedy for that is making a waistband and bringing the rise up to snuff.

LOL No, it was not love at first sight for me. Him, maybe. As it was Thanksgiving eve, and everyone else was home thawing their turkeys, it was only he and I and his friend in the coffee shop, including all the outside tables. His friend spotted me coming in and made some comment to DH, who made a beeline for counter where I was ordering.

At this time, I worked in a short term, inpatient rehab facility for the homeless mentally ill--you know--those people talking to themselves on the street or panhandling to get money for drugs. At the time of our meeting, the rehab facility had this big guy as a patient who was the neediest human being I had ever met--major league dependent. When DH came swooshing up behind me, I turned, and at first glance, I thought he was the dependent guy--not a good first impression.

He asked me how I was, and I replied when the pro forma fine. I sort of felt obligated to ask him how he was and he replied "Charmed". DH is really good at flattering smack talk with people in line. He regularly melts the hearts of cashiers with compliments. So I got my coffee and went to a table outside. A minute later he appears and asks to join me. We talk over coffee and I am still pretty neutral about him. He could hear the traces of my original Arkansas accent so he is trying to pull up his grandparent's old Tennessee ways to establish a common ground. At that time, I hated my southern background, so I was kind of negatively impressed, if not down right grossed out.

When I get ready to leave, he asks for my phone number and I wouldn't give it to him. Eh, I have to study for a licensing exam and that is going to take every non working minute for the next six months...... Most people would be discouraged by a response that is is the equivalent of "I can't go out with you because I have to wash my hair three times a day for the rest of my life", but DH, being a salesman knew how to deal with rejection. He gave me his card and said Call me in 6 months when you get past your exam.

At this point I had just been in CA about a year. A few weeks earlier, the biggest narcissist in the world and I had just mutually dumped each other. On Thanksgiving day, I was a bit lonely and had a lot of time before the late Thanksgiving dinner I was invited to. Since I was on a coffee relapse after a year of a health food regime, eating stuff like wheatgrass, I thought to myself, well he was ok... so I called him and invited him to me meet me for coffee.....As I said, coffee addicts meet in coffee shops. He had a 6 latte a day habit back then.

Fast forward, our first date was pretty bad... Saw Steel Magnolias and had dinner and lame conversation. There probably would not have been a second date if I had not needed someone to drive me back home after oral surgery. Yes--our second date was he took me to the dentist. Most people have to work during the day, but as a salesman, he was master of his own schedule. I was impressed that he was on time to pick me up. And I remember thinking as we drove the 40 minutes to the oral surgeon that things were easy and comfortable between us. The conversation was good. Then he caught me when I fainted after the oral surgery. Nice move. That date kind of got him in the game. My mother came for Christmas and he put the full charm offensive on her. I was impressed he could charm my slightly thorny mother. I thought this guy has some skills.

Then in about March I let a girlfriend stay in my apartment for a week when her home sale closed and her next home purchase was delayed a week. i stayed with him. We got along. Then June we were engaged. He says I decided we were getting married. I don't exactly remember it that way, but I also don't remember him asking me. I liked it that he let me shop for my own ring and call him to come pay for it when I found it. ha ha That is probably the prototype for our marriage. When we got engaged, I never thought we would get married, but I didn't think we wouldn't either. I just thought, we are engaged and if nothing goes wrong, we will get married. Talk about one day at a time. I did like throwing around the term "my fiancee". So much better than "my husband."

We got married in October about eleven months after our meeting. (Later on, his mother told me that we got married on his parents anniversary--weird coincidence.) Since we had both been married before, we didn't want a big wedding. In fact we wanted no guests at all, which really ticked his college age daughter off. On our wedding day, we picked our clothes out of our closet. I was married in a $10 embroideried white cotton Mexican shirt and skirt. We had a rent a minister. We snuck into a meditation garden over looking the ocean. The hindu facility let people in to mediate but did not allow weddings as people trample their flowers--so we had a 3 person standing meditation that just happen to sound a lot like wedding vows. The grounds keepers saw what was going on and kindly turned off their leaf blowers as we had our 3 minute wedding over the koa pond. The wedding was zero stress. And here we are all these years later.

So that is how we slid into being married. One day at a time. We get along so well. We enjoy the same things and have the same tastes. We both have Scottish ancestors and suspect we are probably 5th cousins or something like that as we are so similar.
What a charming story! So glad you posted it!

Reactions: Cordeliere
LOL No, it was not love at first sight for me. Him, maybe. As it was Thanksgiving eve, and everyone else was home thawing their turkeys, it was only he and I and his friend in the coffee shop, including all the outside tables. His friend spotted me coming in and made some comment to DH, who made a beeline for counter where I was ordering.

At this time, I worked in a short term, inpatient rehab facility for the homeless mentally ill--you know--those people talking to themselves on the street or panhandling to get money for drugs. At the time of our meeting, the rehab facility had this big guy as a patient who was the neediest human being I had ever met--major league dependent. When DH came swooshing up behind me, I turned, and at first glance, I thought he was the dependent guy--not a good first impression.

He asked me how I was, and I replied when the pro forma fine. I sort of felt obligated to ask him how he was and he replied "Charmed". DH is really good at flattering smack talk with people in line. He regularly melts the hearts of cashiers with compliments. So I got my coffee and went to a table outside. A minute later he appears and asks to join me. We talk over coffee and I am still pretty neutral about him. He could hear the traces of my original Arkansas accent so he is trying to pull up his grandparent's old Tennessee ways to establish a common ground. At that time, I hated my southern background, so I was kind of negatively impressed, if not down right grossed out.

When I get ready to leave, he asks for my phone number and I wouldn't give it to him. Eh, I have to study for a licensing exam and that is going to take every non working minute for the next six months...... Most people would be discouraged by a response that is is the equivalent of "I can't go out with you because I have to wash my hair three times a day for the rest of my life", but DH, being a salesman knew how to deal with rejection. He gave me his card and said Call me in 6 months when you get past your exam.

At this point I had just been in CA about a year. A few weeks earlier, the biggest narcissist in the world and I had just mutually dumped each other. On Thanksgiving day, I was a bit lonely and had a lot of time before the late Thanksgiving dinner I was invited to. Since I was on a coffee relapse after a year of a health food regime, eating stuff like wheatgrass, I thought to myself, well he was ok... so I called him and invited him to me meet me for coffee.....As I said, coffee addicts meet in coffee shops. He had a 6 latte a day habit back then.

Fast forward, our first date was pretty bad... Saw Steel Magnolias and had dinner and lame conversation. There probably would not have been a second date if I had not needed someone to drive me back home after oral surgery. Yes--our second date was he took me to the dentist. Most people have to work during the day, but as a salesman, he was master of his own schedule. I was impressed that he was on time to pick me up. And I remember thinking as we drove the 40 minutes to the oral surgeon that things were easy and comfortable between us. The conversation was good. Then he caught me when I fainted after the oral surgery. Nice move. That date kind of got him in the game. My mother came for Christmas and he put the full charm offensive on her. I was impressed he could charm my slightly thorny mother. I thought this guy has some skills.

Then in about March I let a girlfriend stay in my apartment for a week when her home sale closed and her next home purchase was delayed a week. i stayed with him. We got along. Then June we were engaged. He says I decided we were getting married. I don't exactly remember it that way, but I also don't remember him asking me. I liked it that he let me shop for my own ring and call him to come pay for it when I found it. ha ha That is probably the prototype for our marriage. When we got engaged, I never thought we would get married, but I didn't think we wouldn't either. I just thought, we are engaged and if nothing goes wrong, we will get married. Talk about one day at a time. I did like throwing around the term "my fiancee". So much better than "my husband."

We got married in October about eleven months after our meeting. (Later on, his mother told me that we got married on his parents anniversary--weird coincidence.) Since we had both been married before, we didn't want a big wedding. In fact we wanted no guests at all, which really ticked his college age daughter off. On our wedding day, we picked our clothes out of our closet. I was married in a $10 embroideried white cotton Mexican shirt and skirt. We had a rent a minister. We snuck into a meditation garden over looking the ocean. The hindu facility let people in to mediate but did not allow weddings as people trample their flowers--so we had a 3 person standing meditation that just happen to sound a lot like wedding vows. The grounds keepers saw what was going on and kindly turned off their leaf blowers as we had our 3 minute wedding over the koa pond. The wedding was zero stress. And here we are all these years later.

So that is how we slid into being married. One day at a time. We get along so well. We enjoy the same things and have the same tastes. We both have Scottish ancestors and suspect we are probably 5th cousins or something like that as we are so similar.
I love this story!!

Reactions: Cordeliere
Happy Black Friday, everyone! I am going to try not to buy anything today, as I have done some serious damage every other day this week. LOL.

Sometimes we go to Canada to escape Thanksgiving, and we are always amused that there are still Black Friday sales after what was just a regular Thursday! So I hope our friends up north enjoy their day also!

I had carryout spicy beef for Thanksgiving... because my stuff arrived! :panic: We spent the morning watching large guys carry all of my stuff up 3 flights of stairs, the afternoon taking outdoor furniture, tools, etc. to the garden, then I puttered around unpacking while the BF took the small rental van back and he brought back carryout as we hadn't eaten all day.

I have a lot of stuff. I have way too much stuff. I purged some before I moved but really didn't have time or emotional energy to do what I needed to do. So now 2 apartments are pick-a-path-through-the-chaos full of furniture and boxes. And very abruptly my recent shopping spree has ended. I can't even think of bringing anything more into the house. ;)

So happy Black Friday, y'all - I'll live vicariously through your purchases!

I’m trying hard to resist Black Friday temptation, but if anything I may cave to make a purchase from my favorite French cashmere brand, Ateliers de la Maille. Trying to decide between three things. I’ll post links when I can get to my computer in a little while!

Is anyone planning on making any purchases this weekend or has anyone scored an amazing deal? Would love to hear about it!

Reactions: prepster and Moirai
I haven't seen them lately, and when I saw them they were rather small, but there were/are safety pins with a hump like a camel (one hump on one side of the pin). These could be used to attach buttons that had a shank to garments. I used them for a brocade vest. Nice to use when drycleaning might wreak the buttons.
Buttons are hard to align on garments where they're being attached for the first time and I have to establish where that is. Getting the button placed an iota away from the center of the buttonhole means it bunches and messes up the whole look. I can't tell you how many times I've respaced buttons to get a blouse front to hang smoothly.
I am buying those safety pins in buckets if I ever see them again.

@Cordieliere Happy anniversary!
https://www.createforless.com/Butto...1Unymgkttuu7EWnquw5hUQnj1x6rxzxRoCHvsQAvD_BwE
Love ❤️

@Cordeliere what a beautiful love story. DH sounds like a charmer Thank you for posting!

@cafecreme15 , I’m trying to be good. But I did fall into a bit of a boot trap. I fell for a pair of Ann D “dress up thrash boots” on NAP and ordered two sizes. The larger are too large but feel great. Lots of room for heavy socks but there is slippage in the heel. The smaller ones fit perfectly but need a bit of breaking in across the wide part of the foot. Not a lot but a bit. The length is perfect with wiggle room in the toes. I just hate breaking in anything. I feel like as I get older I have very little tolerance for fashion discomfort. So they might go back. But I love them so I’m undecided. The whole outfit in this boot pic is very me and hard to resist.
3A91DE06-4296-4932-BBB2-D4DA346EA1D4.png
This morning I fell victim to the Bloomies Black Friday and landed black suede SW Lowlands for 20 percent off. Plus I had Bloomies loyalist GCs. So a good deal as the black ones are almost never marked down. They are actually 30 off at Shopbop but sizes were limited and I’m not sure if they run the same as my worn out 50/50’s. Bloomies has many sizes in case I need to swap.
I am going for a walk now to get some Christmas shopping done. I don’t think it will be so bad in the city as it is in malls. I’d love to see the sweaters you purchase!

This picture glitch is annoying. My photo was there before I edited my spelling. Now I don’t see it. Let me know if it needs reposting, I’m not sure if everyone is having this issue.

I’m trying hard to resist Black Friday temptation, but if anything I may cave to make a purchase from my favorite French cashmere brand, Ateliers de la Maille. Trying to decide between three things. I’ll post links when I can get to my computer in a little while!

Is anyone planning on making any purchases this weekend or has anyone scored an amazing deal? Would love to hear about it!

My DD wanted to shop at an outlet mall after our Thanksgiving meal so I accompanied her from 12-330 am . Gucci, Prada, Moncler and other high end store lines were over an hour long to get into the store. We didn’t bother since we weren’t looking for anything there. She found a Ted Baker coat at about 60% off. I saw black SW highland boots at one store for $299 or $399. Nothing for me [emoji851]