Friends Chat Thread: Wardrobe, Fun, and Whatever

Cordie thanks for sharing this story. How wonderful. Your DH is quite the charmer. And talk about persistence.

I'm having a great time in London. The Christmas decorations are magical. I did some pre-shopping today. I fell in love with a Prada sweater and cashmere coat and another cashmere piece at Dior. Im pacing myself. No purchases yet except perfume refills for my atomizer at Hermes. I had afternoon tea at the savoy then went to see an American in Paris. Parts were a bit slow but overall it was wonderful. Jazz, ballet, Paris, classic movies. I'm in. I just finished a glass of port and I'm off to bed.

I hope everyone had a wonderful thanksgiving.

@PBP
If you’re looking for cashmere and will be in Paris soon, the Loro Piana boutique at Le Bon Marché is presenting their new collection on Friday, Dec 1 from 18-20:00. Cocktails will be served, and they are offering personalozations. Wish I could be there to check it out!

AM??????? Holy cow, that does not seem worth the effort.

But I only have two weeks to get my shopping done as people are away for Xmas, so I have to drop off gifts early.
(Yes, that is as grim and mercenary as it sounds)
:lol: So true. DH said the same thing. It's more of a tradition than anything else. She went with her friends in the past and then I started going with her about 2-3 years ago as long as I don't have to work the next day.

Reactions: dharma and Genie27
On a more fun note, I have to get 'Elsa from Frozen' stuff for my niece. She's three.
:snowflake:

I usually get her books and educational toys that she enjoys - an etch-a-sketch, wooden puzzles etc. The last time I visited she pulled out her favourite things from her toy box and I was thrilled to see her pick items that I had sent over. I don't get to see her as often as I'd like, even though I live pretty close by.

Any thoughts on what else a bright, energetic 3-yo would enjoy?

LOL No, it was not love at first sight for me. Him, maybe. As it was Thanksgiving eve, and everyone else was home thawing their turkeys, it was only he and I and his friend in the coffee shop, including all the outside tables. His friend spotted me coming in and made some comment to DH, who made a beeline for counter where I was ordering.

At this time, I worked in a short term, inpatient rehab facility for the homeless mentally ill--you know--those people talking to themselves on the street or panhandling to get money for drugs. At the time of our meeting, the rehab facility had this big guy as a patient who was the neediest human being I had ever met--major league dependent. When DH came swooshing up behind me, I turned, and at first glance, I thought he was the dependent guy--not a good first impression.

He asked me how I was, and I replied when the pro forma fine. I sort of felt obligated to ask him how he was and he replied "Charmed". DH is really good at flattering smack talk with people in line. He regularly melts the hearts of cashiers with compliments. So I got my coffee and went to a table outside. A minute later he appears and asks to join me. We talk over coffee and I am still pretty neutral about him. He could hear the traces of my original Arkansas accent so he is trying to pull up his grandparent's old Tennessee ways to establish a common ground. At that time, I hated my southern background, so I was kind of negatively impressed, if not down right grossed out.

When I get ready to leave, he asks for my phone number and I wouldn't give it to him. Eh, I have to study for a licensing exam and that is going to take every non working minute for the next six months...... Most people would be discouraged by a response that is is the equivalent of "I can't go out with you because I have to wash my hair three times a day for the rest of my life", but DH, being a salesman knew how to deal with rejection. He gave me his card and said Call me in 6 months when you get past your exam.

At this point I had just been in CA about a year. A few weeks earlier, the biggest narcissist in the world and I had just mutually dumped each other. On Thanksgiving day, I was a bit lonely and had a lot of time before the late Thanksgiving dinner I was invited to. Since I was on a coffee relapse after a year of a health food regime, eating stuff like wheatgrass, I thought to myself, well he was ok... so I called him and invited him to me meet me for coffee.....As I said, coffee addicts meet in coffee shops. He had a 6 latte a day habit back then.

Fast forward, our first date was pretty bad... Saw Steel Magnolias and had dinner and lame conversation. There probably would not have been a second date if I had not needed someone to drive me back home after oral surgery. Yes--our second date was he took me to the dentist. Most people have to work during the day, but as a salesman, he was master of his own schedule. I was impressed that he was on time to pick me up. And I remember thinking as we drove the 40 minutes to the oral surgeon that things were easy and comfortable between us. The conversation was good. Then he caught me when I fainted after the oral surgery. Nice move. That date kind of got him in the game. My mother came for Christmas and he put the full charm offensive on her. I was impressed he could charm my slightly thorny mother. I thought this guy has some skills.

Then in about March I let a girlfriend stay in my apartment for a week when her home sale closed and her next home purchase was delayed a week. i stayed with him. We got along. Then June we were engaged. He says I decided we were getting married. I don't exactly remember it that way, but I also don't remember him asking me. I liked it that he let me shop for my own ring and call him to come pay for it when I found it. ha ha That is probably the prototype for our marriage. When we got engaged, I never thought we would get married, but I didn't think we wouldn't either. I just thought, we are engaged and if nothing goes wrong, we will get married. Talk about one day at a time. I did like throwing around the term "my fiancee". So much better than "my husband."

We got married in October about eleven months after our meeting. (Later on, his mother told me that we got married on his parents anniversary--weird coincidence.) Since we had both been married before, we didn't want a big wedding. In fact we wanted no guests at all, which really ticked his college age daughter off. On our wedding day, we picked our clothes out of our closet. I was married in a $10 embroideried white cotton Mexican shirt and skirt. We had a rent a minister. We snuck into a meditation garden over looking the ocean. The hindu facility let people in to mediate but did not allow weddings as people trample their flowers--so we had a 3 person standing meditation that just happen to sound a lot like wedding vows. The grounds keepers saw what was going on and kindly turned off their leaf blowers as we had our 3 minute wedding over the koa pond. The wedding was zero stress. And here we are all these years later.

So that is how we slid into being married. One day at a time. We get along so well. We enjoy the same things and have the same tastes. We both have Scottish ancestors and suspect we are probably 5th cousins or something like that as we are so similar.

Wow what a great story, thank you so much for sharing!

Reactions: Cordeliere
On a more fun note, I have to get 'Elsa from Frozen' stuff for my niece. She's three.
:snowflake:

I usually get her books and educational toys that she enjoys - an etch-a-sketch, wooden puzzles etc. The last time I visited she pulled out her favourite things from her toy box and I was thrilled to see her pick items that I had sent over. I don't get to see her as often as I'd like, even though I live pretty close by.

Any thoughts on what else a bright, energetic 3-yo would enjoy?
I have a few little ones on my list as well :smile:
I like imagination and creative toys as well as brain toys. Costumes are great at that age. Most of the little ones in my neighborhood are still wearing their Halloween costumes to the grocery store. It’s so cute. Musical instruments are good too, but maybe not high on the list of parent favorites:lol:
Art supplies, non toxic clay, really giant story coloring books. When DD was little she loved books that had a matching character doll, Eloise was huge, Curious George, Pooh and Piglet etc, (the classics).

@PBP
If you’re looking for cashmere and will be in Paris soon, the Loro Piana boutique at Le Bon Marché is presenting their new collection on Friday, Dec 1 from 18-20:00. Cocktails will be served, and they are offering personalozations. Wish I could be there to check it out!

Thank you for this!

I'm reporting back from rigby and peller. It was everything that you guys said it would be. I feel ten pounds skinnier. I stocked up on bras, panties, slips, camps and even some silk pajamas and robes. It is life altering. I highly recommend it. There were a few pieces that they were missing that I'll look for in Paris or at home. I'm going t scoop up my whole lingerie drawer when I get home and throw it in the trash.

I haven't purchased anything else yet on the trip. I found a Prada mohair sweater and cashmere coat that I love. I might get them. They are grey. It's a relaxed casual elegant look. There was also a cashmere dior jacket that I loved. But I would rather have the memory of buying it at the flagship on avenue Montaigne said I might play the if it's meant to be game.

Thank you for this!

I'm reporting back from rigby and peller. It was everything that you guys said it would be. I feel ten pounds skinnier. I stocked up on bras, panties, slips, camps and even some silk pajamas and robes. It is life altering. I highly recommend it. There were a few pieces that they were missing that I'll look for in Paris or at home. I'm going t scoop up my whole lingerie drawer when I get home and throw it in the trash.

I haven't purchased anything else yet on the trip. I found a Prada mohair sweater and cashmere coat that I love. I might get them. They are grey. It's a relaxed casual elegant look. There was also a cashmere dior jacket that I loved. But I would rather have the memory of buying it at the flagship on avenue Montaigne said I might play the if it's meant to be game.
Curious what brand bra you bought, and if you ended up with a different size than your usual?

I boiggt sone prima Donna and some empriente., the Prima Donna are so comfortable and they are very pretty. But the empriente are even prettier. I was wearing the right size. But I was wearing the chantelle foam tee shirt bras out of laziness.. I was also wearing them out but I didn’t want to buy too many until I lost weight., the bras that I bought today are more supportive and don’t have the padding so they make me look at least a cup size smaller.

It really is a special treat and perfect for the occasion.. and I never would have known how to accomplish it without the help of you ladies here. So thank you! [emoji8]

Last edited:
@Genie27 I recently bought my LO some cards for indoor play when it's cold out and also for traveling purposes. He seems to really enjoy them. I bought 3 different sets - animals Snap cards, alphabet Snap cards and also the number cards that has dominos on them. That aside, I've also purchased an abacus for him to play with and plan on teaching him how to use it once he's a bit older. For now he seems to enjoy moving the beads on the different rows. :smile:

@Moirai Your Black Friday shopping story reminded me of the good times I used to have with my friends back when I was living across the pond. We would go shopping at midnight and sleep through the afternoon after! :P :biggrin:

I'm reporting back from rigby and peller. It was everything that you guys said it would be. I feel ten pounds skinnier. I stocked up on bras, panties, slips, camps and even some silk pajamas and robes. It is life altering. .
[/QUOTE]

Life altering sounds good. Really good.

I am like you. Don't want to buy a bunch of new lingerie until I lose weight. But your commercial for Prima Donna was so effective, I immediately searched for nearest store. I bet there was a mass simultaneous search on Prima Donna. Embarrassingly, I discovered that a lingerie store 1/2 block from me sells that brand. I have never been in there.

Yay, I'm so glad. Let's just say you all are not the first ladies I've brought over to the dark side.

Both brands are excellent quality and durable. (Don't do this at home: I've even tossed a couple of really old Empreinte bras in the washer and dryer and they are mostly fine - the stays broke - but I deserved it.)

Hand wash/hang to dry only and they will last ages.

Reactions: prepster