Friends Chat Thread: Wardrobe, Fun, and Whatever

DBF and I just got back from the wedding this weekend. Aside from the dress code incident on Friday, the rest of the wedding was beautiful; DBF and I had a great time!

The coat discussion has long since passed, but I wanted to share some pictures of my grandma's leopard coat that I had mentioned. Excuse the bathroom pictures - it was the only full length mirror with decent lighting at this time of night. View attachment 3834182View attachment 3834183View attachment 3834184

It's really pretty.

Reactions: cafecreme15
I have odd lots that suit particular needs - a keepall for overnight trips, a rolling carry on and a spinner Samsonite for check in/long trips. I don't like carrying the keepall on flights as it tends to get attention and I like to be low key if possible, when traveling

Cafe, that is beautiful!

Last edited:
Ease refers to the tightness of a garment. A bodysuit is an example of a garment that fits really close to the body and has little give. A cocoon jacket has a lot of ease. I have not seen the terms positive and negative used wrt ease but I would think they refer to adding or tightening the garment. Ease is composed of the space needed to make the garment feel comfortable and wearable (i.e., one you can breathe in, slide a jacket off easily, etc.) plus "design ease," the style you are trying to create by making a garment that is really tight or one that is voluminous or somewhere in between.
I'm wondering if negative ease refers to something that would be worn stretched - like a swimsuit or tight sweater or a headband.

Haha! When I graduated from high school , my grad gift from my parents was a matched set of skyway luggage- 3 sizes of suitcases plus a cosmetics box. Similar to this pic, only mine were fake leather in a sea foam green color and I had an even larger suitcase. I was so proud of those! Notice not a wheel in sight!
Now, not so much. Just buy the best suitcase for the purpose, at the time. Preferably not black, and of course my preferred color is blue.
View attachment 3834176
I love this picture! Very much of its era. I don't have matching suitcases because I only ever travel with one at a time. So I have different sizes and brands.

Reactions: prepster
DBF and I just got back from the wedding this weekend. Aside from the dress code incident on Friday, the rest of the wedding was beautiful; DBF and I had a great time! Will catch up on all the posts I've missed tomorrow.

The coat discussion has long since passed, but I wanted to share some pictures of my grandma's leopard coat that I had mentioned. Excuse the bathroom pictures - it was the only full length mirror with decent lighting at this time of night. View attachment 3834182View attachment 3834183View attachment 3834184
I love this! Do you have a bright red purse? That would be awesome.

Haha! When I graduated from high school , my grad gift from my parents was a matched set of skyway luggage- 3 sizes of suitcases plus a cosmetics box. Similar to this pic, only mine were fake leather in a sea foam green color and I had an even larger suitcase. I was so proud of those! Notice not a wheel in sight!
Now, not so much. Just buy the best suitcase for the purpose, at the time. Preferably not black, and of course my preferred color is blue.
View attachment 3834176

Oh wow! Look at you! :dothewave:

Yes, however did we live without wheels? I have wheels on my briefcase. DH jokes that I never pick up a bag if I can wheel it (or get someone else to carry it! :lol:)

@Joannadyne - so sorry your DH is having medical issues. I hope it is resolved soon, the uncertainty and your mind running away with you about what the problem could be is the worst thing ever. In the mean time, we are here for you!

@BBC - your son sounds like a wonderful, self-assured young man. I have no doubt he will find his niche as he gets older. Kids can be so cruel at that age.

@Pirula - totally relate to you with locking the cat somewhere and then frantically looking for him/her. The same thing happened with my cat quite a few years ago. We spent hours looking for her, I got hysterical, only to discover that she was sleeping under the covers of one of the beds and appeared as only a slight lump under the blankets, as if whoever made the bed hadn't pulled the sheets taut enough. Cats can and will slip in anywhere. But they're so cute so of course we forgive them for scaring the life out of us.

@PocketbookPup - let me know how you like the colorist! I will be needing one in NYC soon, and I'm too scared to just blindly experiment until I find one.

Thank you to everyone for your kind words about the coat! It's quite overwhelming on me, but I think some expert tailoring could make it work. @momasaurus I don't have a red purse (have been eyeing a red Chanel mini though...) but I do have some SW otk boots that I can envision with it!

@Joannadyne - so sorry your DH is having medical issues. I hope it is resolved soon, the uncertainty and your mind running away with you about what the problem could be is the worst thing ever. In the mean time, we are here for you!

@BBC - your son sounds like a wonderful, self-assured young man. I have no doubt he will find his niche as he gets older. Kids can be so cruel at that age.

@Pirula - totally relate to you with locking the cat somewhere and then frantically looking for him/her. The same thing happened with my cat quite a few years ago. We spent hours looking for her, I got hysterical, only to discover that she was sleeping under the covers of one of the beds and appeared as only a slight lump under the blankets, as if whoever made the bed hadn't pulled the sheets taut enough. Cats can and will slip in anywhere. But they're so cute so of course we forgive them for scaring the life out of us.

@PocketbookPup - let me know how you like the colorist! I will be needing one in NYC soon, and I'm too scared to just blindly experiment until I find one.

Thank you to everyone for your kind words about the coat! It's quite overwhelming on me, but I think some expert tailoring could make it work. @momasaurus I don't have a red purse (have been eyeing a red Chanel mini though...) but I do have some SW otk boots that I can envision with it!

Will do. My friend has been going to this person for 12 years.

View attachment 3834176

These are so chic.

Wheels are apparently 'out'.

DBF and I just got back from the wedding this weekend. Aside from the dress code incident on Friday, the rest of the wedding was beautiful; DBF and I had a great time! Will catch up on all the posts I've missed tomorrow.

Glad the wedding went well :tup:

People won't know. IMO, better to use, keep warm and look great (which you do) than keep it caged in the wardrobe or destroyed.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBC and cafecreme15
I had my photos recently done for a visa (I need visas to go anywhere). As a bonus, the photographer made a portrait out of the photo. I'm waiting for the printout of the rest of the photos, looking at the portrait and thinking - wow! no doubts, I'm just perfect! Turn to my daughter and say - look how beautiful your mother is, the skin is just glowing, not a single spot or wrinkle! This is what perfection is! - I said making sure that other people in the room also have a chance to enjoy the perfection.
At that moment, the photographer returns, nods at the portrait in my hands and says proudly (and loud), Well, do you like how I photoshopped it?

When I brought it home, my husband said that it was PSed so hard that it doesn't even look like me...

Last edited:
Apropos of nothing, I was just over at the Jewelry forum looking at some gorgeous pens owned by members, and thought it might be a good idea (for this hypothetical timeless wardrobe for our uber-chic woman) to add a good pen to her wardrobe. Something that fits her hand and writing style, in her favorite color ink. Earlier today I was flipping through the book, A Guide to Elegance: For Every Woman Who wants to be Well and Properly Dressed on All Occasions, by Genevieve Antoine Dariaux. She suggests a functional suite of luggage that could take you on trips by car or plane from overnight, to a long weekend, to a two week vacation. She also suggests some attractive personal accessories for a woman's bag, so that the inside looks as nice as the outside.

I don't have a suite of matching luggage, and I'm not sure how practical it is. My grandmother had matching luggage with hat boxes and the whole nine yards, from a time where people actually dressed reasonably well to travel. It seems like such a nice idea though. :speedy: Do any of you have matching luggage, and/or matching personal effects in your handbag?

Edit: Gosh, thinking about this...it's a little shocking how much lazier I am than earlier generations. :hrmm:

Love the sound of your grandmother. Do you know where the luggage went to?

I have a 3 piece from DvF. They are cotton animal print with black patent leather trim on the outside and lined in red material, some clever organised space. Importantly to me all have wheels and outside pockets. They weren't expensive and I can spot what's mine from the other side of the airport. I have a huge LV suitcase/garment holder, also with wheels and a shoe compartment but it's size makes it pretty useless for traveling (good for storage - and apparently a cat bed). The luggage that has literally gone round the world with me twice, from the Nordic Arctic to New Zealand, Singapore to LA, Canada to Japan is a 2 piece set that my MIL gave us that's prob from a German department store and is just as tough as luggage gets but still fairly light.