Friends Chat Thread: Wardrobe, Fun, and Whatever

Thank you [emoji4] Moirai!

So yesterday I felt "strange" all day. Lightheaded, short of breath, strange cough. At one point my pulse was 118! Wtf. Felt much better later, enough to host a lovely dinner party. As DH and I were cleaning up, I hit a wall. Aches, sore throat, losing voice. DH sent me to bed. Today I am down for the count with some awful chest infection thing. I sound like I've been smoking for a 100 years. A dear friend is bringing me soup later. . I don't get sick often, but when I do look out.

And if that weren't enough, it seems I locked the cat in the guest room by mistake last night when I went in there to get something out of the closet. Panic ensued for almost an hour with the three of us trying to find her. God what a relief when we did. She's a little miffed and I can't blame her.
Hope you feel better soon!

Hi Chatsters! I'm traveling so have not been able to keep up.

@weN84, that is a beautiful VB coat. I don't own any from her line but am sure it's high quality. I would go for it since you love it. I would consider first if the size is so discrepant that alterations would make it disproportional.

@Sheikha Latifa, Happy Birthday to you! Hope you bought yourself a lovely gift.

@Cordeliere and @cafecreme15, your stories are too funny. That's something that would happen to me and of course knowing my luck I would just have to suck it up and endure.

@Pirula, how pretty you are! That jacket will look even more amazing after alterations.

@lanit, lovely pic of the mini roulis and jacket. You style beautifully.

@BBC, your DS is a wonderful smart kid. It takes a lot of courage and strength to stay true to oneself especially at a young age. More power to him!

@Joannadyne, sorry to hear of your DH health issue. I wish you both all the best and that the MRI will give answers. It is a very stressful time and your DH will appreciate your positivity not to mention your support. In regards to outfit and prep for moderator, you got great advice already. When you mentioned knit wear, I thought of St. John just like prepster. To save some money, check out the sale prices at Nordst online or visit St. John outlet stores. The level of formality of the outfit would depend on the subject matter whether about serious issues or casual like vacation and the venue, upper level hotel etc. Wear what makes you feel good and powerful. Incorporate one of your scarves if it gives you that extra confidence.

Good point on level of formality and subject matter. Topic is disasters, how to prepare and what to do in the aftermath for my industry. So I guess I should stay away from super bright, cheerful and floaty scarves. Iris moussie, that means you! [emoji23]

PbP, I found that as I got older, lighter hair seemed to brighten me up. My natural hair is *black* and over the last decade I've shifted to warm brown with lighter highlights. I had to shift my wardrobe and makeup colours too - that was unexpected as I didn't think it was a drastic shift.

Joanna, the ladies here had such fantastic advice. I'm sure you will do a great job - your warm and engaging personality will put the panel and audience at ease.

I'm hoping your DH gets a speedy dx for his vision issues - I know how unnerving that can be.

Sheikha, happy birthday!

BBC, you're doing a great job with your boys. DS1 sounds like he is already so self assured in his uniqueness - that is truly helpful in the long run. The earlier this stuff gets figured out, the sooner one can get on with achieving one's desires.

Reactions: Cookiefiend and BBC
Thank you for your wishes ladies but my bday is only next month. But my sheikh likes to do everything in advance.
PPup, I like your hair but it's not bronding, you are right, your stylistic overdid the highlights. My stylist also does it with back teasing and foil as someone showed before.
And I'm surprised they are not offering Olaplex. Not that it requires lots of extra efforts, so why not sell the product to clients? Same thing in Spain, many stylists don't just offer it to their clients. Btw, have you noticed the difference with Olaplex vs sans Olaplex?

Reactions: papertiger
Thank you [emoji4] Moirai!

So yesterday I felt "strange" all day. Lightheaded, short of breath, strange cough. At one point my pulse was 118! Wtf. Felt much better later, enough to host a lovely dinner party. As DH and I were cleaning up, I hit a wall. Aches, sore throat, losing voice. DH sent me to bed. Today I am down for the count with some awful chest infection thing. I sound like I've been smoking for a 100 years. A dear friend is bringing me soup later. . I don't get sick often, but when I do look out.

And if that weren't enough, it seems I locked the cat in the guest room by mistake last night when I went in there to get something out of the closet. Panic ensued for almost an hour with the three of us trying to find her. God what a relief when we did. She's a little miffed and I can't blame her.

I wish you better, it sounds awful.

Your poor cat, I can imagine the panic. When we first moved in we stupidly had people over. Suddenly I couldn't find one of my cats and we'd thought someone had let him out by mistake. Four hours later, after printing photo, ringing doorbells, searching everywhere in torrential rain, calling microchip services, crying...we found him, he'd made himself a nest and was fast asleep behind a kitchen cupboard. Worst feeling in the world, so sorry but glad it has a happy ending for you too.

Thank you for your wishes ladies but my bday is only next month. But my sheikh likes to do everything in advance.
PPup, I like your hair but it's not bronding, you are right, your stylistic overdid the highlights. My stylist also does it with back teasing and foil as someone showed before.
And I'm surprised they are not offering Olaplex. Not that it requires lots of extra efforts, so why not sell the product to clients? Same thing in Spain, many stylists don't just offer it to their clients. Btw, have you noticed the difference with Olaplex vs sans Olaplex?

Always wise to be prepared, good man ;)

Reactions: BBC
Hi Chatsters! I'm traveling so have not been able to keep up.

@weN84, that is a beautiful VB coat. I don't own any from her line but am sure it's high quality. I would go for it since you love it. I would consider first if the size is so discrepant that alterations would make it disproportional.

@Sheikha Latifa, Happy Birthday to you! Hope you bought yourself a lovely gift.

@Cordeliere and @cafecreme15, your stories are too funny. That's something that would happen to me and of course knowing my luck I would just have to suck it up and endure.

@Pirula, how pretty you are! That jacket will look even more amazing after alterations.

@lanit, lovely pic of the mini roulis and jacket. You style beautifully.

@BBC, your DS is a wonderful smart kid. It takes a lot of courage and strength to stay true to oneself especially at a young age. More power to him!

@Joannadyne, sorry to hear of your DH health issue. I wish you both all the best and that the MRI will give answers. It is a very stressful time and your DH will appreciate your positivity not to mention your support. In regards to outfit and prep for moderator, you got great advice already. When you mentioned knit wear, I thought of St. John just like prepster. To save some money, check out the sale prices at Nordst online or visit St. John outlet stores. The level of formality of the outfit would depend on the subject matter whether about serious issues or casual like vacation and the venue, upper level hotel etc. Wear what makes you feel good and powerful. Incorporate one of your scarves if it gives you that extra confidence.

Totally with you on alterations. Size either way unless with a master tailor. He/She would have to take apart every seam, make a pattern down-scale the pattern and re-cut every piece. I did it once with a JPG jacket (amazing print) and it was worth it, but OMG big job. He used to be in Covent Garden, then he moved and I lost him :sad:

Reactions: Moirai
Totally with you on alterations. Size either way unless with a master tailor. He/She would have to take apart every seam, make a pattern down-scale the pattern and re-cut every piece. I did it once with a JPG jacket (amazing print) and it was worth it, but OMG big job. He used to be in Covent Garden, then he moved and I lost him :sad:
Papertiger, I can well appreciate the effort you went to. I have been doing flat pattern making to some degree these days to create a different style than the original sewing pattern.or to grade up the pattern. I have a sloper from about 4 years ago but I never use it to create anything new or different from it. The problem I have is adding ease to a pattern. I used the "rub out" method of making a pattern to copy a RTW jacket but i was never satisfied with the ease.

Of course, the original fabric was a linen-silk blend and my "copy" was in poly gab -- an inexpensive fabric in case I made mistakes. So the fabric drape would be quite different between the two fabrics -- one easy flowing and the other stiff. But How do I compensate for that? I'm thinking I'll have to slash the pattern to add ease, say, in the center front, and anywhere else to compensate for the stiffer fabric.

I know a sewer who lost significant amt of weight and cut down her fav pants to fit. These would have been some kind of poly knit so the seaming would be simple. I have for the moment fit into a pair of pants 2 sizes smaller than those I wore at the beginning of the year. I suspect this is not a fluke b/c it's the same with some skirts.
Therefore, my cotton-blend jeans in different colors like olive and browns are 2 sizes larger. What a PITA they would be to alter. Because jeans have those double-stitched folded under seams that would take so long to do. Plus my sewing machine doesn't have double-needle stitching.

Yesterday I was all set to donate the larger jeans until I looked at jeans on-line yesterday. I had been thinking I could replace the olives and some browns and all there is this season is a dark blue denim of different washes. So, I'll have to wait till colored jeans recur. I will look at pants but this season seems to be about black and navy pants. Wah!!! :annoyed:.