Expensive bags=Expensive wardrobe????

There was an article in Harper's Bazaar (I think), the one with Mischa Barton on the cover talking about mixing inexpensive with expensive and how you should only wear one "it" item. Talked about how Kate Moss is the queen at taking an old T and mixing with a pair of Lanvin flats, etc. Dress so you feel good about yourself.

Exactly! So many people do this, including fashion editors! It's about how you pull your look together. One (or maybe two) standout items mixed with staples looks chic and fashionable.

What comes to mind is the clueless lady on the bus with a $2,000 fur coat and a $2 stocking cap from Walgreen's and a pair of white gym shoes. Hehe. Just be careful out there ladies.

What comes to mind is the clueless lady on the bus with a $2,000 fur coat and a $2 stocking cap from Walgreen's and a pair of white gym shoes. Hehe. Just be careful out there ladies.

LOL! Last week I saw an old lady sitting in front of me on the bus with a 80's training suit and a (battered) REAL birkin! I couldn't believe my eyes, just like the SATC episode where Samantha fails to get a birkin and sees this ordinary women on the street with THE bag!
I like to mix cheap and expensive myself, as long as it looks decent and the clothes match the bag;) I love Zara clothes, they're not very expensive and can look a million $ when you combine them with a nice bag. Even their shoes look great, and I'm usually not a cheap shoe fan :shame:

not at all. i like sevens because they fit and juicy velour track pants because they're comfy. i wear good shoes (dansko) but not expensive or "nice" relatively speaking. everything else comes from target.

Not at all...i have mostly high street clothes, a few brand names (Bench, Karen Millen, Lipsy etc)

My shoes are mostly from Faith, Next, Beatrix Ong, River Island etc.

I prefer to spend the most money on bags - the main reason being because a bag can set off a whole outfit...even if it is from George @ Asda!:yahoo:

And i also got fed up with buying bags for £50 from the high street, only to have them fall apart after 6 months or so of use. I'd rather pay more and have it last longer.:yes:

Now that's real economy, i believe!;)

I'm a perfect Escada size 38, so I have a closet full of eBay Escada finds. Very inexpensive, but great construction. As long as sellers list accurate measurements and I utilize my trusty tape measure I can dress nicely but inexpensively.

Now, my custom boot collection - that's another matter entirely! Add a nice bag to custom footwear and who cares what's in the middle?

I guess I am in the minority, but I look for the same quality, style, workmanship and uniqueness in all my things -- tops, jackets, jeans, dresses, coats and shoes. I wear a lot of Etro, Theory, Nanette Lepore, Blumarine, Moschino, Tory Birch, DVF, Catherine Malandrino, M Missoni, Miu Miu and Marc Jacobs (both marc by and collection).

My only designer items are my bags and accessories...my wardrobe isn't expensive at all! I have clothes from Guess, Esprit and some other Canadian clothing stores mostly, and I don't really buy brand names...I think I have one DKNY sweater that I've never worn and I'm wearing an Abercrombie shirt that I got for Christmas right now. I love buying cheap and nice clothing, especially from Forever 21!!

In my business, I've had the occasion to attend several 'image' type classes, and the general rule of thought is that the first thing noticed when you make your appearance is your shoes and handbag and being of good quality is important. Personally, I spend more on my high end designer handbags, and buy my clothing from more average priced retailers. Think about it, when we see someone shopping, dining, etc., what's the first thing we notice.....handbags!! Maybe because of our obsession, but I really feel that the bag makes the statement!!