Expensive bags=Expensive wardrobe????

I think you can instantly upgrade an outfit by adding a nice designer bag, jewelry or a silk scarf.I'm a teacher, so I can't wear designer clothes anyway (I never bring my nice bags to school,too). I do love cashmere sweaters though. I always make sure my clothes are nicely cut and made from a nice material. You can find that with inexpensive brands,too.

No expensive clothes for me. I don't need them to work as I wear scrubs. I'm casual in my dress with jeans, cargo type pants, long flowing type skirts. I do wear James Perse tee shirts as they are alittle more dressy. I have found quite a few great items in years past at thrift shops and Goodwill. But for me it's almost as if the expensive handbag is what makes the outfit special.

Nope..my bags are definitely more expensive, but I think of them as a lot more versatile. I can't wear that same expensive piece of clothing over and over each day like I'm able to with a bag.
Anyway I have pieces which are cheaper and pieces which are more expensive (right now, the highest is a Juicy Couture coat which was about $400ish), but I think outfits are actually pulled together with a nice bag :yes:

I agree - the bags can go with anything! Also - finding plus sized designer clothes is like looking for a unicorn in Call of Duty. Often my bag, shoes and make up are designer and my clothes are whatever I could find ;)

I seem to have amazing luck finding designer clothes at thrift stores. So I do have a lot of expensive clothes and shoes, but I've usually paid very little for them. ;) I almost never pay retail for anything. When I do, it's at the Gap or H&M or Topshop.

Bags, on the other hand... I'm just getting into designer bags now, but I can tell that I'll be shopping for clothes at thrift stores for a while yet...

I try to pull myself together and look good, but it's not always with designer clothes. I have a few pieces of designer clothes, but prefer to spend the money on the handbags. Bags are my addiction.

For my job and my life I dress casually (jeans and tops) 95% of the time.
I think a nice handbag looks great with both expensive and inexpensive clothes.

I also could not afford to buy both and will take designer handbags any day over designer clothes.

Do a search in the Wardrobe- this was discussed a while back. The general conclusion was that it doesn't make a fig of difference. :biggrin:

I personally dress in Banana Republic and J. Crew most of the time, wear mid-range shoes (like Stuart Weitzman) and have bags ranging from Banana to Coach on up to Louis Vuitton. And I love and appreciate them ALL in their own way. I hope I would never become so status obsessed that I wouldn't want to wear a cute purse (or sweater, or whatever) because it wasn't from a certain brand.

Ash

I don't think I will ever afford a WARDROBE full of designers clothes from head to toe (chanel, chole, d&g etc)ever in my life...but I think a balance is good! Quality coats, belts, shoes are needed so those can be expensive...but a t-shirt is still going to be a t-shirt at the end of the day... so as long as the fit works for me.. its fine!

There was an article in Harper's Bazaar (I think), the one with Mischa Barton on the cover talking about mixing inexpensive with expensive and how you should only wear one "it" item. Talked about how Kate Moss is the queen at taking an old T and mixing with a pair of Lanvin flats, etc. Dress so you feel good about yourself.

I am definitely of the cheap clothes expensive handbags group!
A lot of inexpensive clothes can look really great with that perfect handbag.
But I agree with the poster who likes expensive coats -- outerwear really depends on fabric and cut, and sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and get a high-end trench or something.