Expensive bags=Expensive wardrobe????

I don't know if my clothes is considered expensive. I have a lot of designer jackets/coats and jeans. But, my tops are usually from banana, nordys, etc. I have more than two closets full of clothes. I cut back on buying new clothes the last two years. But I've been buying more expensive bags.

My wardrobe is not expensive...but I'd like to buy very expensive bags..making a mix!!!

Do you think it's ridiculous???
Do you think that an expensive bag must have an expensive dress??? :confused1:

Today I went for some shopping and I bought a skirt and a pair of black thousands at Zara, it was 60 euro - a lot of money in my opinion because the skirt was 39.90 euro - so you can see, I like cheap cloths! :yes:
I usually buy my cloths at H&M, Zara and Benetton (italian brand, I think it's popular also abroad?!). I spend money on shoes and bags because just a cute bag can change all the look of the outfits, don't you think?
However I spend more also on winter jackets/coats because they are meant to last. My parents bought me a 500 euro Woolrich about 4/5 years ago but hey man! I still wear it, it's like brand new and still very popular here and still a lot of demands about it in the stores! It was a great purchase! :yes:
So don't worry, I think that mix and match is perfect and most of the people here in the forum do the same - I remember from a previuos post! ;)

I've noticed this too, over the course of many years of people-watching. The newly-rich tend to dress in the latest and most expensive designer styles all over - they like to show off their wealth, and if they earned it and it makes them happy, why not? The only time I have a problem with it is if it's done with an attitude that says, "I'm better than you."

The people who inherit money look like the guy next door, wearing jeans and a polo shirt. They may wear expensive shoes or carry high-end bags, but probably nothing too ostentatious. It's almost as though they downplay the wealth intentionally. Interesting phenomenon!

Good point, and I agree. "Old money" people do tend to dress more conservatively, and avoid trends or logos and go with understated classics. "New money" or "nouveau riche" want to show off and enjoy their new wealth- nothing wrong with that at all! If you work hard for your money, you decide how to spend it, and if that means a Mercedes and designer clothes/bags, go for it. (well said hippiechic- as long as you don't act as though you are better than others).

Once I was walking in Boston and saw this woman who was obviously new money and looked as though she was trying very hard to look rich. She was extremely "fashionably" thin, and was wearing super-tight pink head-to-toe Dior clothing with shoes and bag to match. A little much, also she looked uncomfortable in her outfit. But it's her choice, and I am trying to be less judgmental.

I am obsessed with bags and jeans. I must carry a designer bag and wear high end jeans (preferably True Religion). I could care less about the designer of my dress or top. I shop mainly at Wet Seal or Forever 21 for my tops and even have been known to shop at 2nd hand stores like Plato's Closet for tops... so there you go. It doesn't have to be a completely designer wardrobe. In fact, I think head-to-toe designer names is for celebs and special occasions only.

It also has a lot to do with how you carry yourself- I know women that wear pretty inexpensive clothing, but because they take really good care of their hair, nails, clothes, shoes, wear nice makeup, etc, and because they carry themselves well, most people would assume they're rich and wearing all designer stuff. Pride, good grooming, and self-confidence add to any outfit. ;)

I also carry bags much more expensive than most of my clothes. I have the occasional designer skirt or blouse, but the vast majority of my work clothes are Banana, Kenneth Coleetc, but I'll carry my Ferragamos and LVs with them as well as on the weekend with my Gap jeans and tees.

It also has a lot to do with how you carry yourself- I know women that wear pretty inexpensive clothing, but because they take really good care of their hair, nails, clothes, shoes, wear nice makeup, etc, and because they carry themselves well, most people would assume they're rich and wearing all designer stuff. Pride, good grooming, and self-confidence add to any outfit. ;)

I completely agree!! Personal grooming makes SUCH a huge difference!

I agree, you don't have to have an expensive wardrobe to match the beautiful bag HOWEVER, I don't think that just because you're carrying a beautiful bag, it means you can go out looking like a slob (it's no justice to that B-bag to pair it with sweats!!). And I do think bags and shoes go hand in hand. Plus, I love good coats, I can't stop myself there. I have 8 designer coats, which I've bought over the last 10 years, and they all still look fabulous and stylish. And my Seven jeans, which I love and have 4 pairs of and wear until they're worn out and I have to replace them with 4 more. Then I pair it with a Gap/Zara top. Having said that, I don't have as many designer bags as some of you ladies. I spread it around to get bags, coats, shoes & jeans

You need to invest in classic timeless pieces such as shoes, handbags, business suit, winter coat, watch. As far as clothing...you should buy inexpensive trendy items and save your money for the classics that will be in your wardrobe for years to come. Take care of your investment pieces and you will have a wardrobe to last for years and this will allow you to always be stylish.

There's no rule that says your wardrobe and accessories need to be either all expensive or cheap. I've found out that many affordable clothing looks really good with nice, expensive handbags and shoes. I particularly spend the most money on my accessories. I agree with Tonia Joe about collecting timeless pieces.