Everything Barenia Faubourg

I know it can be confusing with different leathers called similar names, but this thread is for Barenia Faubourg only.

For the original (smooth) Barenia please post here:

Reactions: mmvv22
Since I got the bag organizer I’ve left it in, but until it came in I used a pair of old cotton sweats and an old T shirt. I think there are a variety of ways to store your babies, and I think it is based on what you have and what you like. I’m not an expert by ANY means; this is just what works for me.

Not sure about the patina....interesting thought though...

Couldn’t agree more. Methods of storage and use are very personal and everyone has their own preferences, none better than any other. I love the old t-shirt idea. I might give that a shot.

Reactions: okiern1981
Faubourg should, in theory, age and patina like classic Barenia. Meaning, it’ll darken and get a sheen over time. I’ve noticed with the use my BF has had its subtly darker than my gold GP (which is my color change guidepost). View attachment 4002321

The image was taken the day after I got my Barenia Faubourg. So, taken 2/24/18.

Thanks for your detailed explanation!

Reactions: okiern1981
I am interested to know what you prefer for stuffing? Do you stick with the air bags or some other method (pillow? T-shirt’s??) I am currently exploring different storage ideas for my BF. I tend to prefer to lay my bags on their backs (I have memory foam cushions on shelves), but also wondering if this will affect the patina process at all on BF. I wonder......
I do exactly what you do. Memory foam covered shelves, B/Ks on their backs, stored uncinched, stuffed with plastic airbags so the lining does not separate, and front handle supported. It doesn’t matter whether it’s togo, croc, chèvre, clemence or barenia. It’s a great system to keep them all looking brand new. My smooth barenia Kelly doesn’t get a lot of use but there is no difference in patina on the back side. My BF Birkin gets a lot of use and has begun to develop a lovely patina both in terms of color, sheen without any scratches or signs of the ugly phase common to smooth barenia. While I was in Paris recently my SA who sold me the BF bag offered to give it to a craftsman to saddle soap it. It didn’t look much different when I got it back at the end of the day but they swear it’s good for it.

BagLady164, thank you!! Great information and glad to hear it keeps your Bs and Ks looking good as new. Fascinating about the saddle soap. I’m not brave enough to try this myself, but I’ll ask my SA next time I’m in the store. Thank you!

Reactions: BagLady164
I do exactly what you do. Memory foam covered shelves, B/Ks on their backs, stored uncinched, stuffed with plastic airbags so the lining does not separate, and front handle supported. It doesn’t matter whether it’s togo, croc, chèvre, clemence or barenia. It’s a great system to keep them all looking brand new. My smooth barenia Kelly doesn’t get a lot of use but there is no difference in patina on the back side. My BF Birkin gets a lot of use and has begun to develop a lovely patina both in terms of color, sheen without any scratches or signs of the ugly phase common to smooth barenia. While I was in Paris recently my SA who sold me the BF bag offered to give it to a craftsman to saddle soap it. It didn’t look much different when I got it back at the end of the day but they swear it’s good for it.

Thank you! I’m so glad you’re sharing your invaluable and so very much helpful advice with us! It was you that pushed me off the fence with your report about watermarks and staining. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Reactions: BagLady164
BagLady164, thank you!! Great information and glad to hear it keeps your Bs and Ks looking good as new. Fascinating about the saddle soap. I’m not brave enough to try this myself, but I’ll ask my SA next time I’m in the store. Thank you!
I wouldn’t do the saddle soaping myself either. They did it last summer when I bought the bag and again now. But it doesn’t look at all different. My NYC SA just shrugged when I mentioned it. They do have to get the bag pretty wet to do it. It takes all day to dry...

Reactions: TeeCee77
Hello lovely BF owners!! Does anyone have any advice on color transfer on BF? My BF accompanied me to worked today and when it brushed up against my pant leg, it made me wonder if BF has any greater risk than, say Togo? Luckily, no transfer. But, did make me wonder....

Hello lovely BF owners!! Does anyone have any advice on color transfer on BF? My BF accompanied me to worked today and when it brushed up against my pant leg, it made me wonder if BF has any greater risk than, say Togo? Luckily, no transfer. But, did make me wonder....

I’ve not experienced any transfer and I wear mostly jeans. Anyone else?

Here are the side by sides that I posted on the original Ode to Barenia thread. The photos were taken when my BF was brand new rhoughView attachment 4009276 View attachment 4009277

Thank you!! How do you feel the color differs now that you have used your BF? Any change? Trying to decide if I need to take Gold off my wish list or if there is still a place for it! Thank you so much!

Thank you!! How do you feel the color differs now that you have used your BF? Any change? Trying to decide if I need to take Gold off my wish list or if there is still a place for it! Thank you so much!

BF has a lot more nuance to it, while the gold looks pretty uniform and almost flat compared to it. If I had gotten BF first, I probably would pass on the gold. (I've had my gold for a really long time and it has different coloured HW so I decided it was ok to also get the BF as well)