Everything Barenia Faubourg

I know it can be confusing with different leathers called similar names, but this thread is for Barenia Faubourg only.

For the original (smooth) Barenia please post here:

Reactions: mmvv22
Thanks for starting this thread... I’m actually a big fan of vache natural and the “traditional” Barenia leathers so I am intrigued by the BF. My understanding is that the reason many customers shy away from barenia is because it easily scratches. BF is supposed to be “less fragile” and more scratch resistant (potentially broadens the customer base for this new leather) while still developing the gorgeous patina that barenia is known for albeit as a slower rate. My barenia bags are 10 years or older so I don’t exactly remember when they started developing their glowing patinas because it’s been so long since they were virgin leathers to me.

I realize that BF is still fresh off the shelves, but do any of the BF owners have a sense of when the patina begins to develop? To those BF owners who also have the traditional barenia, have you noticed that BF patinas (I made it a verb) at a different rate/pace?

Thanks for starting this thread... I’m actually a big fan of vache natural and the “traditional” Barenia leathers so I am intrigued by the BF. My understanding is that the reason many customers shy away from barenia is because it easily scratches. BF is supposed to be “less fragile” and more scratch resistant (potentially broadens the customer base for this new leather) while still developing the gorgeous patina that barenia is known for albeit as a slower rate. My barenia bags are 10 years or older so I don’t exactly remember when they started developing their glowing patinas because it’s been so long since they were virgin leathers to me.

I realize that BF is still fresh off the shelves, but do any of the BF owners have a sense of when the patina begins to develop? To those BF owners who also have the traditional barenia, have you noticed that BF patinas (I made it a verb) at a different rate/pace?

I’ve noticed with the amount of use mine gets (which isn’t a whole lot since I rotate bags, everyone gets to play!) it’s becoming subtly darker in the 4 or so weeks I’ve had it. I have other Barenia pieces to compare to, and it seems to be evolving quicker than I expected. I thought it would take quite a bit longer.

Reactions: diane278 and lala28
Very cool... I just picked up mine today so we are BF twins/ cousins/ BFFs! Hee hee. The first thing I did was stick my head inside the bag and sniff the leather!

Congratulations! She will look lovely in your garden of gorgeous gorgeous pretties! (Yes, I drool over your collection!) What size did you end up getting?

That scent is intoxicating isn’t it?!

Congratulations! She will look lovely in your garden of gorgeous gorgeous pretties! (Yes, I drool over your collection!) What size did you end up getting?

That scent is intoxicating isn’t it?!

I got a 35. I’m a kitchen sink kind of bag girl although I keep saying I’m going to pare down someday....

I love the smell. I did get some strange looks from passing customers who saw me stick my head inside the bag and inhale.

Reactions: Ladybaga
Congrats!! Such a lovely leather [emoji5] mine has only been out a handful of times, so no patina yet.

[emoji106] I guess I should twilly up the handles until I have a better understanding of how the leather darkens naturally. It’s funny because I have a vache natural birkin that’s over 10 years old and is still so darn light in color despite frequent and heavy handed use. That one always puzzles me...

Reactions: TeeCee77
I got a 35. I’m a kitchen sink kind of bag girl although I keep saying I’m going to pare down someday....

I love the smell. I did get some strange looks from passing customers who saw me stick my head inside the bag and inhale.

I got a 30, because after three shoulder surgeries carrying a fully loaded 35 or larger becomes painfully tricky after a while lol.

When I got mine there were customers asking to sniff my Birkin! So instead of them giving wha?! looks at me for doing it, they were burying their noses in her! As long as they smelled and didn’t touch or sneeze I was fine with it.

Reactions: TeeCee77

Twins! I have a 35 also. LOVE. So far I’m on the twilly train until we know more about how the leather adapts.

Reactions: lala28
It's a beautiful bag! Thank you for letting me stick my head inside of your bag. HEAVENLY!!

You’re welcome to sniff away at anytime! As soon as she tore the plastic wrap off the box, I started inhaling deeply. (It’s funny because some of the “newer” SAs didn’t quite understand the appeal.). Despite years of previous tpf posts, I don’t think I’ve ever declared resident status on Ban Island until now. Ladybaga, you’re my witness!

I got a 30, because after three shoulder surgeries carrying a fully loaded 35 or larger becomes painfully tricky after a while lol.

When I got mine there were customers asking to sniff my Birkin! So instead of them giving wha?! looks at me for doing it, they were burying their noses in her! As long as they smelled and didn’t touch or sneeze I was fine with it.

I think about that, too. I used to lug documents and file folders to and from the office on a daily basis so the 35 size seemed more practical. I sold my 30s a few years ago because I had a hard time fitting my “essentials” in them, but I wish I had kept one “just in case”.

Reactions: Phdluvslvgm