eBay, etc. General Question/Answer Thread

Thank you! That makes sense, I was so curious. We only have natural grocery stores like Whole Foods and co-ops near my house, so if I want to buy something that they don’t carry I need to buy it online, so the markup is a necessary evil. Honestly, it is still usually cheaper to buy it on eBay! My husband will drive to the next city over to buy certain foods in person, but it costs more in gas than the mark-up to buy online! I think they either must have a store local to them, or some way of getting discounted shipping because if I go directly to the website (most of these items come to me in a Walmart box, so I assume that’s where they are shopping), I would have to pay a shipping fee that would make the item total more expensive than what I end up paying on eBay. It’s very strange. I admire their hustle, but it’s just annoying that the tracking is always messed up.
You are absolutely right, it does make sense to buy online for you. :smile:. Did you ask those sellers why would show delivery while wasn’t delivered? I’m sure they wouldn’t mind telling you the reason

Reactions: nicole0612
You are absolutely right, it does make sense to buy online for you. :smile:. Did you ask those sellers why would show delivery while wasn’t delivered? I’m sure they wouldn’t mind telling you the reason
Yes, I have asked each time (hard to tell if they are the same sellers under different names or different sellers, because how many people can be selling these random, specific things? - it’s items like xxx brand cans of sugar free cherry pie filling or xxx brand xxx flavored stevia drops), but when I ask the sellers just “commit” to their position that “tracking shows that it was delivered”. I get where they are coming from, so I just have to wait the extra week until I get it. It is just so odd. Amazon will of course deliver the same item in 2 days, but they either have crazy variable pricing (like one can of pie filling will be $29 sometimes, to account for the free shipping etc) or they require you to buy a pack of 6-8 (presumably to offset the shipping fee).

Reactions: onlyk
Thank you! That makes sense, I was so curious. We only have natural grocery stores like Whole Foods and co-ops near my house, so if I want to buy something that they don’t carry I need to buy it online, so the markup is a necessary evil. Honestly, it is still usually cheaper to buy it on eBay! My husband will drive to the next city over to buy certain foods in person, but it costs more in gas than the mark-up to buy online! I think they either must have a store local to them, or some way of getting discounted shipping because if I go directly to the website (most of these items come to me in a Walmart box, so I assume that’s where they are shopping), I would have to pay a shipping fee that would make the item total more expensive than what I end up paying on eBay. It’s very strange. I admire their hustle, but it’s just annoying that the tracking is always messed up.
Have you looked at the tracking information? Does it actually show it was delivered in your city? Have you looked at the label on the package you eventually get to see if the tracking number is the same as the one on ebay? I might call the carrier to find out more about the tracking.

I wonder how some of these resellers can sell things so cheap. After the fees, they must not make much. I order some Costco items on Amazon since I don't have a Costco membership. They are cheaper than the same thing bought from another store.

Have you looked at the tracking information? Does it actually show it was delivered in your city? Have you looked at the label on the package you eventually get to see if the tracking number is the same as the one on ebay? I might call the carrier to find out more about the tracking.

I wonder how some of these resellers can sell things so cheap. After the fees, they must not make much. I order some Costco items on Amazon since I don't have a Costco membership. They are cheaper than the same thing bought from another store.
When I go to eBay it says delivered to my zip code 3 days ago (just says zip code and not my address), but it is definitely not here or at a neighbor’s house. The same thing happens every time (like 3-4 times now) and then it shows up the next week in a Walmart branded box with my address on it. I was confused the first couple of times because I knew I didn’t order anything from Walmart, but then when I opened it I recognized it as my Ebay food purchase.
That is such a good idea to check the actual tracking number on the box. If it comes next week, as I am expecting, I will check to see if the tracking number is the same as the tracking number entered on Ebay.
I ordered the same item from another seller 2 weeks ago. I just search by cheapest price + shipping. Then after about 1.5 weeks from my order date, they canceled my order and said that item was not available and refunded me. Then a couple of days after that, I got a message on Ebay that the item had been delivered (but it was not delivered to my house). However, since I already had been refunded by the seller at that point, I didn’t worry about it.
Maybe the delivery notice I received on eBay was when the seller got the item from Walmart or whoever they ordered it from.
I really don’t mind, because I agree with you. If I try to order these items directly it costs me much more than what they’re selling them for on eBay. It seems like a hard way to mark money, so more power to them, I just don’t really understand how it works for them logistically.

Reactions: whateve
When I go to eBay it says delivered to my zip code 3 days ago (just says zip code and not my address), but it is definitely not here or at a neighbor’s house. The same thing happens every time (like 3-4 times now) and then it shows up the next week in a Walmart branded box with my address on it. I was confused the first couple of times because I knew I didn’t order anything from Walmart, but then when I opened it I recognized it as my Ebay food purchase.
That is such a good idea to check the actual tracking number on the box. If it comes next week, as I am expecting, I will check to see if the tracking number is the same as the tracking number entered on Ebay.
I ordered the same item from another seller 2 weeks ago. I just search by cheapest price + shipping. Then after about 1.5 weeks from my order date, they canceled my order and said that item was not available and refunded me. Then a couple of days after that, I got a message on Ebay that the item had been delivered (but it was not delivered to my house). However, since I already had been refunded by the seller at that point, I didn’t worry about it.
Maybe the delivery notice I received on eBay was when the seller got the item from Walmart or whoever they ordered it from.
I really don’t mind, because I agree with you. If I try to order these items directly it costs me much more than what they’re selling them for on eBay. It seems like a hard way to mark money, so more power to them, I just don’t really understand how it works for them logistically.
Ok, sounds like, they need track ebay generated to show it’s delivered to your house which possibility done by mail an empty envelope or small no value things to a wrong address to your zip code it could be delivered to someone else be discarded or returned to the seller (even address is non existing), then the Walmart order is the actual order seller ordered to be shipped directly to your house.

since the fake shipping is cheap mail method they could provide free, Walmart shipping can be free to seller too if they have Walmart plus.

OK, I went online and found out reason why they do that: “listing an item on eBay and then purchasing the item from another retailer or marketplace that ships directly to your customer is not allowed on eBay.”

Last edited:
Ok, sounds like, they need track ebay generated to show it’s delivered to your house which possibility done by mail an empty envelope or small no value things to a wrong address to your zip code it could be delivered to someone else be discarded or returned to the seller (even address is non existing), then the Walmart order is the actual order seller ordered to be shipped directly to your house.

since the fake shipping is cheap mail method they could provide free, Walmart shipping can be free to seller too if they have Walmart plus.

OK, I went online and found out reason why they do that: “listing an item on eBay and then purchasing the item from another retailer or marketplace that ships directly to your customer is not allowed on eBay.”
Thank you!! I have heard about components of this before, but I never knew all of the details! This is so interesting, thank you for explaining.
In fact, I have received these decoy packages before myself that are used to show delivery to a certain zip code (like recently I received a flimsy metal chain in a tiny mailer envelope with a tracking number on it, but nothing I would ever order and I have no idea who the shipper was).

Reactions: whateve and onlyk
Thank you!! I have heard about components of this before, but I never knew all of the details! This is so interesting, thank you for explaining.
In fact, I have received these decoy packages before myself that are used to show delivery to a certain zip code (like recently I received a flimsy metal chain in a tiny mailer envelope with a tracking number on it, but nothing I would ever order and I have no idea who the shipper was).
I’m glad we kind of figured it out, it’s like playing a puzzle, haha, those tricky sellers! It’s interesting to learn new things though

I have been selling on EBAY for over 20 years, mostly designer items. I haven't been selling much in the last few years but sold a designer bag for around $3000.00 Saturday. I tried to enter the declared value for this shipment Fedex ground and the maximum declared value is $1000.00, same with UPS. Am I missing something because there is no way I will ship an expensive bag and take the chance of damage or a lost package and be out $2000.00. Thanks

I have been selling on EBAY for over 20 years, mostly designer items. I haven't been selling much in the last few years but sold a designer bag for around $3000.00 Saturday. I tried to enter the declared value for this shipment Fedex ground and the maximum declared value is $1000.00, same with UPS. Am I missing something because there is no way I will ship an expensive bag and take the chance of damage or a lost package and be out $2000.00. Thanks
Does ebay have a third party insurance that will cover 100% of your sale if item got lost or damaged during shipping? Years ago when I was selling on ebay, I used to chose that option, I don't know if now it still has that option?

Does ebay have a third party insurance that will cover 100% of your sale if item got lost or damaged during shipping? Years ago when I was selling on ebay, I used to chose that option, I don't know if now it still has that option?
I talked to EBAY and there is no option for 3rd party insurance. They have capped insurance at $1000.00. If you sell a high dollar item you have to ship directly with Fedex, UPS or USPS and pay more.

I talked to EBAY and there is no option for 3rd party insurance. They have capped insurance at $1000.00. If you sell a high dollar item you have to ship directly with Fedex, UPS or USPS and pay more.
I see. Did you charge buyer shipping cost? if so, you may have to ship on your own if you want full insurance, I would assume you made money though if you had sold it $3,000? shipping my guess is $80 - $200 depends on how heavy and big the box is?

Reactions: LOUIE13
I see. Did you charge buyer shipping cost? if so, you may have to ship on your own if you want full insurance, I would assume you made money though if you had sold it $3,000? shipping my guess is $80 - $200 depends on how heavy and big the box is?
I paid much more for the bag and it is in new condition so I lost money. The box only weighed 4 pounds and I insured it directly with Fedex, it has already arrived at the authenticator in Las Vegas. Now I'm just waiting for Ebay to pay me. I hate the new Ebay policies and will take down my auctions after today.

Reactions: onlyk
It's been a minute since I've sold something on eBay. I had a listing buy it now or best offer at $195. I woke up and saw the item sold for $165.75? I never sent or received an offer? Is there some sort of auto accept now I need to look out for? Thank you