eBay, etc. General Question/Answer Thread

A quick update as noticed yesterday two more scans en route at 12:54 pm on different days again since the pkg was received back at the local distribution center. Called the PO mgr who stressed again that priority mail isn’t guaranteed but if a package sits at a location for whatever reason the system automatically generates a scan each day. I didn’t know nor have seen the system automatically generate scans en route if the pkg hasn’t moved. The PO has now had a 2 day priority pkg going one state over for 6 days not including date of receipt. The manager said hopefully the next scan will be from the buyers distribution hub and then delivery scan. Hopefully the pkg is actually delivered and in one piece at this point.
Ah, now I know that all those " in transit to destination" scans are bogus!

Reactions: Gblb
I have one eBay buyer bought item on my account account.
I saw his PayPal still show pending almost a week and the buyer kept rushin me ship an item out. I told him I will ship it out when eBay notify me when your payment go through. is that something I should take action on.
I never had any transactions spending that for money account go to my account.
When he sent me an email remaining me ship out an item..

it looked like suspicious to me ( hello, I already payed, can you ship it to me)
BtW: the item is high value

I have one eBay buyer bought item on my account account.
I saw his PayPal still show pending almost a week and the buyer kept rushin me ship an item out. I told him I will ship it out when eBay notify me when your payment go through. is that something I should take action on.
I never had any transactions spending that for money account go to my account.
When he sent me an email remaining me ship out an item..

it looked like suspicious to me ( hello, I already payed, can you ship it to me)
BtW: the item is high value

There are a variety of reasons why a payment could be "pending."

PayPal may be holding the funds in case there are problems with the sale. See: https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/why-is-my-payment-from-a-sale-on-ebay-on-hold-faq1377

OR You may need to claim the payment.

OR The buyer may have paid with an eCheck, which has to clear before the funds are released to you.

OR Something else.

I recommend you call PayPal and ask them to explain what is going on in this case.

This is tracking for a Christmas gift I sent to a friend with two day priority mail. NY to Alabama.
I concluded at the time that this package was lost because it took so long, but as you see, it did arrive. I see the same pattern here of automatic scanning at the same time for three days in a row while it sat in Jersey City or whereever. It was too early for the Christmas rush, so I don't know what happened. Very disappointing service from the PO, and postage is so expensive now.

December 4, 2017, 10:51 am
Out for Delivery
GULF SHORES, AL 36542

December 4, 2017, 10:41 am
Sorting Complete
GULF SHORES, AL 36542

December 4, 2017, 7:19 am
Arrived at Post Office
GULF SHORES, AL 36542

December 3, 2017, 9:03 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility
MOBILE AL DISTRIBUTION CENTER ANNEX

November 30, 2017, 9:37 am
In Transit to Destination
On its way to GULF SHORES, AL 36542

November 29, 2017, 9:37 am

November 28, 2017, 9:37 am

November 27, 2017, 9:37 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
JERSEY CITY NJ NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

November 27, 2017, 8:22 pm
Accepted at USPS Origin Facility
I had a recent similar case. Buyer opened INR on December 30. Because of the holiday weekend and Monday holiday, I couldn't call her post office until Tuesday, January 2.

I spoke to the postmaster who said the carrier's notes showed that delivery had been on Dec. 21 and this was told to the buyer. On January 3, the buyer escalated the claim.

Later in the day, I got an email from ebay telling me the case was closed in my favor, shocking me because AFAIK, tracking hadn't shown delivery.

When I checked tracking, delivery was updated on the day of my call. Whether my phone call was the catalyst for them to find the package or not, I don't know, but for 2 weeks, the item was "In Transit to Destination"

January 3, 2018, 1:10 pm
Delivered, In/At Mailbox
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, FL 32082
Your item was delivered in or at the mailbox at 1:10 pm on January 3, 2018 in PONTE VEDRA BEACH, FL 32082.
January 3, 2018, 8:06 am
Out for Delivery
January 3, 2018, 7:56 am
Sorting Complete
January 3, 2018, 5:05 am
Arrived at Post Office
January 3, 2018, 3:52 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
January 3, 2018, 2:40 am
Departed USPS Regional Facility
JACKSONVILLE FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER
January 3, 2018, 12:59 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
JACKSONVILLE FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER
January 2, 2018, 5:29 pm
Departed USPS Regional Facility
JACKSONVILLE FL NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
January 2, 2018, 4:10 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility
JACKSONVILLE FL NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
December 21, 2017, 12:52 pm
On its way to PONTE VEDRA BEACH, FL 32082
December 20, 2017, 12:52 pm
December 19, 2017, 12:52 pm
December 18, 2017, 7:52 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
SHREWSBURY MA DISTRIBUTION CENTER
December 18, 2017, 6:37 pm
Accepted at USPS Origin Facility
(my city/state)
December 17, 2017, 2:20 am
Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
(my city/state)

Ah, now I know that all those " in transit to destination" scans are bogus!
LOL!

Reactions: beekmanhill
Quick question for you guys. I've had a buyer pay for an item but message me to tell me to post to a different address than what shows on PayPal. I will normally only post to PayPal addresses as it protects me in case the item goes missing.

Have you ever posted to another address at the request of a buyer? I could sent it registered post person to person (Australia Post) so only she can sign for it...

Quick question for you guys. I've had a buyer pay for an item but message me to tell me to post to a different address than what shows on PayPal. I will normally only post to PayPal addresses as it protects me in case the item goes missing.

Have you ever posted to another address at the request of a buyer? I could sent it registered post person to person (Australia Post) so only she can sign for it...
No, don't do it. You lose your seller protection. If she wants it shipped to a different address, you have to refund her. Then she can update her paypal address and pay again, while selecting the correct address.

Question, I’m mostly a seller, have been for a few years but this hasn’t happened yet. Just when I think I’ve seen it all. The bag I sold, I shipped USPS Priority with signature confirmation. I’m keeping an eye on the tracking details, they attempted delivery, after the first attempt I sent a note to the buyer that the item is at their local post office.
I heard nothing. Also after I shipped it I send her a note that it will require a signature, I always do, as a courtesy.
For the last three days I’m seeing three separate scans that say the same thing: that the item is on its way to the town I shipped it to. Well, that makes no sense because the package was there already. I suspect it’s on the way back to me. I sent another message asking if they got it, again no answer.
I’m thinking even if they are on vacation one would hope they have their phone to see my messages. But in that case mail would be held not sent back.
Anyway, I hope I get it back, but then what? I’m thinking I should cancel the transaction and issue a refund. I’m out the shipping cost of course.
But if it doesn’t come back, I have no idea what to do.

Question, I’m mostly a seller, have been for a few years but this hasn’t happened yet. Just when I think I’ve seen it all. The bag I sold, I shipped USPS Priority with signature confirmation. I’m keeping an eye on the tracking details, they attempted delivery, after the first attempt I sent a note to the buyer that the item is at their local post office.
I heard nothing. Also after I shipped it I send her a note that it will require a signature, I always do, as a courtesy.
For the last three days I’m seeing three separate scans that say the same thing: that the item is on its way to the town I shipped it to. Well, that makes no sense because the package was there already. I suspect it’s on the way back to me. I sent another message asking if they got it, again no answer.
I’m thinking even if they are on vacation one would hope they have their phone to see my messages. But in that case mail would be held not sent back.
Anyway, I hope I get it back, but then what? I’m thinking I should cancel the transaction and issue a refund. I’m out the shipping cost of course.
But if it doesn’t come back, I have no idea what to do.
If it comes back to you, you need to cancel the transaction and issue a refund. You don't have to refund the initial shipping cost charged the buyer. At least, that is what I've been told by ebay.

When a bag comes back to you, it usually takes a couple weeks.

FYI, I think you should have mentioned the signature required in your listing, or at some point before it was shipped. It's too late to tell them after it has shipped. If they had known, they might have chosen to have it delivered to an alternate address, like their work.

If it doesn't come back, the buyer could open an INR and win. You could open a case with the post office to find the package.

If it comes back to you, you need to cancel the transaction and issue a refund. You don't have to refund the initial shipping cost charged the buyer. At least, that is what I've been told by ebay.

When a bag comes back to you, it usually takes a couple weeks.

FYI, I think you should have mentioned the signature required in your listing, or at some point before it was shipped. It's too late to tell them after it has shipped. If they had known, they might have chosen to have it delivered to an alternate address, like their work.

If it doesn't come back, the buyer could open an INR and win. You could open a case with the post office to find the package.

Thank you for the reply. I hope it comes back. I specify the signature for apartment addresses but sometimes I add it if it’s a high value item.

Reactions: Cogmarks
Hi, as a buyer only, I have a question about bidding.
The opening bid was $2,500. I was the first bidder and as soon as I put in my top bid, it shows 1 bid and the auction now at $3,200, which is a number between the opening bid and my highest bid. It says the reserve still isn’t met, so what is this number that the bid jumped to? I would have assumed that the first bid would either be $2500 or maybe the reserve amount, but $3,200 is neither of these.
View attachment 3930019

Hi, as a buyer only, I have a question about bidding.
The opening bid was $2,500. I was the first bidder and as soon as I put in my top bid, it shows 1 bid and the auction now at $3,200, which is a number between the opening bid and my highest bid. It says the reserve still isn’t met, so what is this number that the bid jumped to? I would have assumed that the first bid would either be $2500 or maybe the reserve amount, but $3,200 is neither of these.
View attachment 3930019
That doesn't make sense. It has to be either the starting bid amount or the reserve amount.

That doesn't make sense. It has to be either the starting bid amount or the reserve amount.

I didn’t understand it either. As you can see in the photo the opening bid was $2500, only one bid, and the listing still said “reserve not met” after I placed my bid. I didn’t win, my top bid was $3455 and the second bid was $3505, so the bidding went up by $50 increments. Does the seller set bidding increments?

I didn’t understand it either. As you can see in the photo the opening bid was $2500, only one bid, and the listing still said “reserve not met” after I placed my bid. I didn’t win, my top bid was $3455 and the second bid was $3505, so the bidding went up by $50 increments. Does the seller set bidding increments?
No, the seller doesn't set bidding increments, ebay does. The increments get bigger, the higher the amount. Did the reserve get met? What was it?