eBay, etc. General Question/Answer Thread

I think I have my first case of fraud with a zero feedback buyer. I just received a message full of bad language from her accusing me of not sending her the complete order. She claims something was in the package that I couldn't have sent because I never owned it. I can't find how to report her message for bad language. How do I do that?

I have a buyer who wants to upgrade the shipping after purchase. How do I charge her the difference? Do I send her a paypal invoice? Should it be for goods and services?

What is this seller hub and how do I get back to my normal format? Is Ebay messing with anyone else's selling page? Back to the app I go, where they will keep deleting the "automatically decline offers under x amount field," I will get a low ball offer, have to go back into the listing 3 times to make sure the auto decline field is properly filled in. Grrrr!

ETA: phew, it let me opt out. I was going crazy trying to find my "sold" items. Geesh ebay!

Reactions: whateve
I have a buyer who wants to upgrade the shipping after purchase. How do I charge her the difference? Do I send her a paypal invoice? Should it be for goods and services?

I'm pretty sure you can just send an ebay invoice with the revised shipping price. I've done it that way before.
Thanks. She had already paid, so I don't think an ebay invoice was an option. I ended up sending her a paypal invoice and she already paid it.

Reactions: sallellen
What is this seller hub and how do I get back to my normal format? Is Ebay messing with anyone else's selling page? Back to the app I go, where they will keep deleting the "automatically decline offers under x amount field," I will get a low ball offer, have to go back into the listing 3 times to make sure the auto decline field is properly filled in. Grrrr!

ETA: phew, it let me opt out. I was going crazy trying to find my "sold" items. Geesh ebay!
I have been using the beta version of the hub on one of my accounts for several months. I don't like that every category - sold items, active listings, unsold listings, etc. - is on a separate page, but there are a few things I like. I like that on my sales page, it marks when items were delivered so I don't have to keep checking the tracking. I don't like that it doesn't seem to have to option to customize what I see. One of the things I have in my old style page is the zip code of the buyer. I like seeing this because it helps me determine how to pack; i.e. whether it'll be cheaper to use flat rate boxes.

Reactions: holiday123
I won an item on the 4th and it still hasn't shipped. I contacted the seller twice regarding tracking and haven't received a response. I went into the item to open an INR and it says item hasn't been paid for. I paid the day I bought it so I went into paypal and it says:

Payment Type:
Express Checkout Payment Sent
Transaction ID:
xxxxxxxx
Email:
xxxxxxxx
Date:
Sep 4, 2017
Time:
11:03:33 PDT
Unclaimed
Amount:
-$59.75 USD
eBay - yoxxxxxx_4 hasn't accepted yet. It gives me an option to cancel.

How is it that a seller hasn't accepted a payment? Do you think because she's new she has to opt into accepting credit cards?

I guess I should just cancel and call it a day. This is 3 out of my last 6 transactions that were INR.

Last edited:
I won an item on the 4th and it still hasn't shipped. I contacted the seller twice regarding tracking and haven't received a response. I went into the item to open an INR and it says item hasn't been paid for. I paid the day I bought it so I went into paypal and it says:

Payment Type:
Express Checkout Payment Sent
Transaction ID:
xxxxxxxx
Email:
xxxxxxxx
Date:
Sep 4, 2017
Time:
11:03:33 PDT
Unclaimed
Amount:
-$59.75 USD
eBay - yoxxxxxx_4 hasn't accepted yet. It gives me an option to cancel.

How is it that a seller hasn't accepted a payment? Do you think because she's new she has to opt into accepting credit cards?

I guess I should just cancel and call it a day. This is 3 out of my last 6 transactions that were INR.
Either the seller had a typo on the email address or her paypal account isn't set up to accept credit card payments (if that's how you paid).

Email the seller and verify.

Reactions: holiday123
Are there any instances where you (as the seller) would want to escalate the claim to PP? Had a buyer open an INAD case against me. Turns out the item she bought was defective but she's able to do a complete exchange at the store if she wants OR she could return the item back to me and I'll give her a full refund. She opened the case on Sunday and I immediately gave her those two options in an official offer. I haven't heard back from her since then. PP told me if I escalate the claim and she doesn't respond in 10 days the case will close or I can ride it out until the 1st of October and the case will automatically close then if no one escalates it.

Are there any instances where you (as the seller) would want to escalate the claim to PP? Had a buyer open an INAD case against me. Turns out the item she bought was defective but she's able to do a complete exchange at the store if she wants OR she could return the item back to me and I'll give her a full refund. She opened the case on Sunday and I immediately gave her those two options in an official offer. I haven't heard back from her since then. PP told me if I escalate the claim and she doesn't respond in 10 days the case will close or I can ride it out until the 1st of October and the case will automatically close then if no one escalates it.
I'd wait.

If you escalate, you risk Paypal finding against you.
Or she can escalate and await a finding.
If you wait it out, there's a possibility that she won't respond and you'll win.

Reactions: Nikki_
I'd wait.

If you wait it out, there's a possibility that she won't respond and you'll win.

Thanks for the advice BB.

I don't mind getting the item back. I'd just go exchange it myself for a new one. I called PP today because I wanted to see what my options were. The rep who helped me kept trying to push me to escalate the claim. I told her I wanted to think it over. Not sure why she was pushing it so hard onto me. If she (the buyer) escalates it and PP finds against me, what's the consequence? I've already offered to take the item back. I figured they would just tell her to return the item back to me as well?

I'd wait.

Thanks for the advice BB.

I don't mind getting the item back. I'd just go exchange it myself for a new one. I called PP today because I wanted to see what my options were. The rep who helped me kept trying to push me to escalate the claim. I told her I wanted to think it over. Not sure why she was pushing it so hard onto me. If she (the buyer) escalates it and PP finds against me, what's the consequence? I've already offered to take the item back. I figured they would just tell her to return the item back to me as well?

I agree with BB here.
If PP rules in your buyer's favor, you may be out your item and your money.
I wouldn't poke the hornet's nest.

Okay, here's some new eBay weirdness. My stated ship time is within 2 business days. I just got an e-mail telling me to ship within ONE! The e-mail was the standard 'your item sold' e-mail.

Other piece of weirdness, this item was below $750 but now the shipping label generator defaults to signature confirmation as a recommendation to help protect the seller if the buyer claims the item was not received. That's an actual quote from the screen!

Anyone else get those lovely messages yet?

I'd wait.

Just an update: She did end up escalating it. Paypal asked her to return the item for a full refund. I think she wanted to keep the item + get the refund. Anyways, the 10 days just expired this morning, no tracking was ever updated so she lost the case. Am I in the clear at this point? I hate to discriminate against newbie buyers (just opened the account the day she purchased my item) but they are getting ballsy esp since the return/SNAD policy for buyers is super lenient now with eBay.