eBay, etc. General Question/Answer Thread

TY! This is exactly my conundrum. I planned on flat rate boxes (+envelopes now) for heavy/multiple items, and then picking up envelopes for the one off/smaller items so shipping could be as low as possible.

I also have a few pairs of shoes, NIB, that I plan to sell. Most can fit w/their NIB in the 12.4x12.4x6 Flat Rate box...but a few can't. I have good boxes I can use for these, but I'm wondering about shipping cost complaints.

Given they will be shipped in a larger box priority, the cost are going to be pretty high. For items like these, do you ever just list shipping as "$15 priority" etc., and then eat the extra cost?

TY BeenBurned. I searched your posts via your profile I think, and gave it a cursory look when I should have searched for the obvious :smartass:
I hardly ever charge more than $15 for shipping, even when it costs more. I feel like buyers are going to complain unless it is an expensive item. Most of my shoes with their box won't fit in a flat rate box. I usually calculate the price as if I'm shipping from California to New York before I list so I can at least anticipate how much it might cost in the worst case scenario. Worse than shoes are large purses with handles that can't be folded so I have to use an oversized box and pay the oversize surcharge. Then shipping can cost close to $40!

In order to fit things in a flat rate envelope, put them folded in a plastic bag or tyvek envelope and squeeze out all the air. That often helps you squeeze them into a flat rate envelope. I learned this trick on the forum a few years ago.

I also have a few pairs of shoes, NIB, that I plan to sell. Most can fit w/their NIB in the 12.4x12.4x6 Flat Rate box...but a few can't. I have good boxes I can use for these, but I'm wondering about shipping cost complaints.

Given they will be shipped in a larger box priority, the cost are going to be pretty high. For items like these, do you ever just list shipping as "$15 priority" etc., and then eat the extra cost?

When I ship shoes in their original boxes, I often find that putting the box into another box will push the weight into a higher pricepoint. In cases like that and with boxes that are fairly substantial in stiffness, I wrap the box in brown kraft shipping paper, tape it well and ship that way.

I've never gotten a report of a crushed box, though I'd never do it with a flimsy box.

Reactions: kaydelongpre
I hardly ever charge more than $15 for shipping, even when it costs more. I feel like buyers are going to complain unless it is an expensive item. Most of my shoes with their box won't fit in a flat rate box. I usually calculate the price as if I'm shipping from California to New York before I list so I can at least anticipate how much it might cost in the worst case scenario. Worse than shoes are large purses with handles that can't be folded so I have to use an oversized box and pay the oversize surcharge. Then shipping can cost close to $40!

In order to fit things in a flat rate envelope, put them folded in a plastic bag or tyvek envelope and squeeze out all the air. That often helps you squeeze them into a flat rate envelope. I learned this trick on the forum a few years ago.

When I ship shoes in their original boxes, I often find that putting the box into another box will push the weight into a higher pricepoint. In cases like that and with boxes that are fairly substantial in stiffness, I wrap the box in brown kraft shipping paper, tape it well and ship that way.

I've never gotten a report of a crushed box, though I'd never do it with a flimsy box.

Ty for all the advice. Best thread ever.

I have a item listed as BIN with no BS option. It's a fairly expensive item and very popular with 20 people now watching. yesterday I received a message asking me some weird questions. Also want to see an additional photo of a particular part of the item. I don't have any problem taking the photo but their profile got me thinking. They have been on eBay since 2011 but they have absolutely 0 feedback. They have never left any feedback either. And in my listing, I said members with less than 10 feedback scores must contacted me before buying to "explain" themselves. They contacted me but didn't say anything about their feedback. So my question 1) how come they have been on eBay for so long and they never got any feedback or left any? 2) should I block?

I have a item listed as BIN with no BS option. It's a fairly expensive item and very popular with 20 people now watching. yesterday I received a message asking me some weird questions. Also want to see an additional photo of a particular part of the item. I don't have any problem taking the photo but their profile got me thinking. They have been on eBay since 2011 but they have absolutely 0 feedback. They have never left any feedback either. And in my listing, I said members with less than 10 feedback scores must contacted me before buying to "explain" themselves. They contacted me but didn't say anything about their feedback. So my question 1) how come they have been on eBay for so long and they never got any feedback or left any? 2) should I block?
It's possible that this is a posting ID and they use it to post to boards and ask questions but will use a more experienced ID to buy. I know there are members who do that.

It's possible that this is a posting ID and they use it to post to boards and ask questions but will use a more experienced ID to buy. I know there are members who do that.
OK. Thank you for answering. First time I have heard this. Why would they do that? It will again prevent me from checking out the profile of a potential buyer so it doesn't sit well with me.

OK. Thank you for answering. First time I have heard this. Why would they do that? It will again prevent me from checking out the profile of a potential buyer so it doesn't sit well with me.
I don't know the story with your buyer but because you asked the question, I'll give a possibility.

If they're sellers on a third ID, they may not want their purchases and potential purchases known. Some "regular" buyers and sellers know others' buying and selling IDs and like to look to see where and how much the seller paid for the item she's flipping.

Don't get me wrong. I have no issue with capitalism. But using different IDs can help disguise themselves.

Another thought is that there are resellers whose buying IDs are PITAs. Because the resellers want to make extra over their investment, they buy, find flaws and negotiate partial refunds.

This post is an example of one of those PITA buyers who also resells on another ID:
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/ebay-non-paying-bidder-list.165307/page-174#post-30193868
And this is some of the feedback she has left for sellers:
https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayIS...&ftab=FeedbackLeftForOthers&searchInterval=30

I don't know the story with your buyer but because you asked the question, I'll give a possibility.

If they're sellers on a third ID, they may not want their purchases and potential purchases known. Some "regular" buyers and sellers know others' buying and selling IDs and like to look to see where and how much the seller paid for the item she's flipping.

Don't get me wrong. I have no issue with capitalism. But using different IDs can help disguise themselves.

Another thought is that there are resellers whose buying IDs are PITAs. Because the resellers want to make extra over their investment, they buy, find flaws and negotiate partial refunds.

This post is an example of one of those PITA buyers who also resells on another ID:
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/ebay-non-paying-bidder-list.165307/page-174#post-30193868
https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayIS...&ftab=FeedbackLeftForOthers&searchInterval=30
Thank you! I am always suspicious of people like that and always think they are hiding something. My gut feeling is to block this one.

Her name looks familiar. Checking my seller feedback, she bought something from me over a year ago and luckily I received positive "great the ebayer" lol.! The bag I sold her she got a great deal on, maybe that's why. Of course I purchased it as a lot of 3 and only was interested in the 1 bag, so basically selling the other 2 paid for the 1 so I was happy too.

Thank you for your response. I emailed the seller yesterday and got no reply about the shipping label. This morning I got an email from eBay that the return has been completed and the money is back in my account. However, I still have the item and the money isn't actually in my account even though the message says that it is. I messaged the seller again about the shipping label and still have received no response. I'm not sure what to do now.

Quoting myself to update on this return... I’ve now received the refund in my account, and still no response from the seller. Now I have both the money and the item. Has this happened to anyone else before?

Quoting myself to update on this return... I’ve now received the refund in my account, and still no response from the seller. Now I have both the money and the item. Has this happened to anyone else before?
Hold on to the item. If the seller emails you to say that she wants it back, tell her you'll send it back when she sends a prepaid shipping label for you to send it back.

Reactions: chicinthecity777
Best course of action?

Ordered a set of craft items, came in different sizes in a set. Two of the set arrived with manufacturers defects that will make it hard/impossible to use those pieces. Seller took three weeks to send from Seattle to California. I had chosen this seller because they were in the US, not in Europe or Asia.

But I need the set for a project on hold, and in particular I mainly need one of the two defective items. Seller isn't responding. Not even after leaving negative feedback to try to get his attention after my messages went unanswered. Do I ...

1. Start a SNAD? Knowing that means I'll likely have to buy again elsewhere, probably with another month wait? And if so, how do I word what I want -- what I really want is replacements for the two damaged pieces, and I want them ASAP, not in three weeks. But I doubt they will send out a partial pre-boxed set. It was a $10 item, so I'm not worried about the money -- I'm more annoyed at the defective item after the silly wait. I can walk to Seattle in less than three weeks.

2. Just buy one of the cheap ones from China, knowing it will take the same amount of time to get across the Pacific as getting it from Seattle, but will be less hassle.

Or ... something else? This is, unfortunately, something I can't get locally; I need a metric version, not a US version. I tried to find it locally before resorting to eBay.

Best course of action?

Ordered a set of craft items, came in different sizes in a set. Two of the set arrived with manufacturers defects that will make it hard/impossible to use those pieces. Seller took three weeks to send from Seattle to California. I had chosen this seller because they were in the US, not in Europe or Asia.

But I need the set for a project on hold, and in particular I mainly need one of the two defective items. Seller isn't responding. Not even after leaving negative feedback to try to get his attention after my messages went unanswered. Do I ...

1. Start a SNAD? Knowing that means I'll likely have to buy again elsewhere, probably with another month wait? And if so, how do I word what I want -- what I really want is replacements for the two damaged pieces, and I want them ASAP, not in three weeks. But I doubt they will send out a partial pre-boxed set. It was a $10 item, so I'm not worried about the money -- I'm more annoyed at the defective item after the silly wait. I can walk to Seattle in less than three weeks.

2. Just buy one of the cheap ones from China, knowing it will take the same amount of time to get across the Pacific as getting it from Seattle, but will be less hassle.

Or ... something else? This is, unfortunately, something I can't get locally; I need a metric version, not a US version. I tried to find it locally before resorting to eBay.
You'll have to open a SNAD. I doubt the seller will ship replacements for just the two damaged pieces. It is easier for him to refund your $10. If the seller hasn't responded to your messages, it is likely he won't respond to the SNAD, so you'll have to wait until it is time to escalate to get your money back. I would just order another one in the meantime if I didn't want to prolong the wait any longer.

Reactions: BeenBurned
Some quick advice I hope! I've been selling on eBay for ages so I'm across most things. But I'm about to list a huge amount of clothes which I've never sold before. I'm going to start the auctions at $10, but what do you think about including a buy it now for $30? (These items are worth anywhere from $100-150 new and my items are still new with tags). I don't want to be greedy and just want to clear out my clothes and make a bit of cash doing it. I'm not sure if I should just leave off the BIN and see what happens with the auction. Any opinions?