eBay, etc. General Question/Answer Thread

Seriously? The buyer wants to return because of a torn outer box? Isn't it the phone case she's using? Who cares about the box that will be disposed of?!?

IMO, it sounds like a difficult buyer who is taking advantage of an inexperienced seller.

I'm a bit confused though. If your mother sent $4 for return shipping to cover the cost, she doesn't need to pay for a shipping label. What does the buyer think the extra $4 was for?

If the lazy buyer doesn't want to go to the post office to send it back, suggest that she put $4 (approx) worth of stamps on the package and hand it to the mailman when he comes to her door. (Give her the return shipping address.)

And as your mother has learned, you never issue a refund before receiving the returned item.

I think the buyer asked for a return label before my mom sent her the $4 via PP for shipping, but my mom misunderstood, or thought that was how returns were handled. I think the buyer IS lazy and wants it all done with as little effort on her part as possible. I’m just not sure if there’s anything else my mom can do at this point...

I think the buyer asked for a return label before my mom sent her the $4 via PP for shipping, but my mom misunderstood, or thought that was how returns were handled. I think the buyer IS lazy and wants it all done with as little effort on her part as possible. I’m just not sure if there’s anything else my mom can do at this point...
You can tell her to buy the postage online on USPS as well. The rates are the same online as at the post office...I mean if she's lazy and doesn't want to leave the house, you can just order and print it on her computer. Surely, she has that....

You can tell her to buy the postage online on USPS as well. The rates are the same online as at the post office...I mean if she's lazy and doesn't want to leave the house, you can just order and print it on her computer. Surely, she has that....

Yeah, we suggested that already... Crickets. She’s no longer communicating. I think she’s just going to keep the phone case and got paid to do it.

I'm somewhat new to eBay and over a month ago, I bought a luxury bag for over $600. The seller had some good reviews. The listing had good photos (at least 6 photos) and the only thing wrong with it was interior lining wear per the seller which she showed pictures of. The bag was delivered and when I opened it, it was so disgusting that I immediately opened a return. AND it was packaged horribly to boot. The bag had a bulk of hair knotted in the straps and a part of the strap was completely frayed and about to break off. The seller didn't mention any wear except interior lining wear. I was really bummed. She fought the return case a little (read from bottom to top in the bold), but still refunded me the money in full right away which closed the case. She did not provide a shipping label.

Sep 20
The seller sent you a message
I'm sorry but you need to pay for shipping. The photos are clear on the condition of the bag. As I said yo you that you called "dirty" strap it is nstural color rope and it looked like that when it was new. Same for the frays. Please send the bag as soon as you can. Thank you!

Sep 19
You sent a message
Okay, thank you. If you can provide label, I can ship today!

Sep 18
Hello, I will accept the return but I have to clarify that the straps are not "brown and dirty" that's the color natural rope and the bag has patina and I was told by the Chanel store not to wash it! The bag is frayed so I'll accept of course I know the value.

Sep 18
You created a return
Reason for return
Doesn't match description or photos

Comments
Hello, I feel like this purse has more wear than listed. It has more than just interior lining wear as mentioned in your listing. The bag is dirty and the straps are brown and dirty. There is black hair tangled on the two straps, knotted together and I can t even pull apart the straps because of it. The corners show signs of wear as well. The strap has an area that has come undone and is about to snap and break. I attached the pictures.

So after this conversation ended, I wrote her through eBay messaging since the return was closed and couldn't write in the case anymore. I told her I am not paying for shipping. This is where it gets extremely heated:

I said: Hi. I am not paying for return shipping. This was significantly not as described. You failed to mention that the strap was on it's last thread, literally. The strap is about to break off, how could I even repair that? Your pictures did not show that and I should not be expected to know the signs of wear that you refrain from explaining in your listing. That is your fault and that should have been something you mentioned. I will ship your bag back as soon as you provide the label.

Thank you.

She said: Hello there, who the hell you think you're to write garbage like? You first write that the strap was "brown and dirty" clearly you have never seen the bag new!!! Go buy a $3000 new and don't be wasting time on eBay claiming **** so you can return an item. I don't remember the strap being on the last thread or a hole in it. So let's bring this customer service. Please go ahead and write to them as I will. Thank you!

At this point I'm really upset because this girl is going to make me pay for shipping on an item that was so far from the description. I said: There is no need for that kind of sour language. It's not very classy. I think it's better that I ignore your unprofessional manic monologue because it is not worth it. Like I said, I am happy to ship once you provide me the label. I also contacted eBay so they are aware of this situation and will be sending you a message relaying the same in which I've said here.

Then almost 2 weeks go by with no response.
Then she writes: Hey lady not sure what kind of person are you? This is very simple that I had a no return policy on the sale and you simply didn't like the bag and condition and I accepted the return so the minimum you can do is just send it back. I have no idea who you're what's your problem writing to me long messages about "classy" this is nuts!

I said: The bag is packaged, sitting by the door waiting to be shipped as soon as you get me the shipping label. Sorry it didn't work out.

This is when I reached out to eBay and they told me they would reach out to her and see if they can get a shipping label.

A few days later she says: I refunded you all the money the least you can do is mailing back. I had specifically said no returns. Please send me I keep loosing money.

I said: I just had to deal with a return from a buyer for the same reason and I paid for her shipping. It sucks but It's part of selling. The bag is ready to be shipped back once you provide the label. I can ship it asap.

Then she threatens me and says she is going to file a police report.
And then I say: I'm willing to give you the bag, but I am NOT paying for shipping. Period.

Last thing she said to me: Oh! Wow! You’re willing to give me “my” bag!?!? How kind of you! I returned all your money including shipping. Of course I’m filing a report.

It will be a month this Friday since the case has been closed. I reached out to eBay and they said they can't do anything about her filing a police report, but it won't go far because SHE refunded me on an item that I purchased from her. I didn't steal it. I have the bag still packaged and ready to ship.

What would you do? Shipping would cost around $18 and I just don't think it's fair when she sent me garbage. If I had a change of heart, fine. I would pay for shipping. But she left out so much wear and I'm not just being picky. The strap had knotted bunch of hair and was literally fraying and on it's last thread. I just can't believe she didn't notice that.

Does this happen to others?

I'm somewhat new to eBay and over a month ago, I bought a luxury bag for over $600. The seller had some good reviews. The listing had good photos (at least 6 photos) and the only thing wrong with it was interior lining wear per the seller which she showed pictures of. The bag was delivered and when I opened it, it was so disgusting that I immediately opened a return. AND it was packaged horribly to boot. The bag had a bulk of hair knotted in the straps and a part of the strap was completely frayed and about to break off. The seller didn't mention any wear except interior lining wear. I was really bummed. She fought the return case a little (read from bottom to top in the bold), but still refunded me the money in full right away which closed the case. She did not provide a shipping label.

Sep 20
I'm sorry but you need to pay for shipping. The photos are clear on the condition of the bag. As I said yo you that you called "dirty" strap it is nstural color rope and it looked like that when it was new. Same for the frays. Please send the bag as soon as you can. Thank you!

Sep 19
You sent a message

Sep 18
Hello, I will accept the return but I have to clarify that the straps are not "brown and dirty" that's the color natural rope and the bag has patina and I was told by the Chanel store not to wash it! The bag is frayed so I'll accept of course I know the value.

Sep 18
You created a return
Reason for return

Comments
Hello, I feel like this purse has more wear than listed. It has more than just interior lining wear as mentioned in your listing. The bag is dirty and the straps are brown and dirty. There is black hair tangled on the two straps, knotted together and I can t even pull apart the straps because of it. The corners show signs of wear as well. The strap has an area that has come undone and is about to snap and break. I attached the pictures.

So after this conversation ended, I wrote her through eBay messaging since the return was closed and couldn't write in the case anymore. I told her I am not paying for shipping. This is where it gets extremely heated:

I said: Hi. I am not paying for return shipping. This was significantly not as described. You failed to mention that the strap was on it's last thread, literally. The strap is about to break off, how could I even repair that? Your pictures did not show that and I should not be expected to know the signs of wear that you refrain from explaining in your listing. That is your fault and that should have been something you mentioned. I will ship your bag back as soon as you provide the label.

Thank you.

She said: Hello there, who the hell you think you're to write garbage like? You first write that the strap was "brown and dirty" clearly you have never seen the bag new!!! Go buy a $3000 new and don't be wasting time on eBay claiming **** so you can return an item. I don't remember the strap being on the last thread or a hole in it. So let's bring this customer service. Please go ahead and write to them as I will. Thank you!

At this point I'm really upset because this girl is going to make me pay for shipping on an item that was so far from the description. I said: There is no need for that kind of sour language. It's not very classy. I think it's better that I ignore your unprofessional manic monologue because it is not worth it. Like I said, I am happy to ship once you provide me the label. I also contacted eBay so they are aware of this situation and will be sending you a message relaying the same in which I've said here.

Then she writes: Hey lady not sure what kind of person are you? This is very simple that I had a no return policy on the sale and you simply didn't like the bag and condition and I accepted the return so the minimum you can do is just send it back. I have no idea who you're what's your problem writing to me long messages about "classy" this is nuts!

I said: The bag is packaged, sitting by the door waiting to be shipped as soon as you get me the shipping label. Sorry it didn't work out.

This is when I reached out to eBay and they told me they would reach out to her and see if they can get a shipping label.

A few days later she says: I refunded you all the money the least you can do is mailing back. I had specifically said no returns. Please send me I keep loosing money.

I said: I just had to deal with a return from a buyer for the same reason and I paid for her shipping. It sucks but It's part of selling. The bag is ready to be shipped back once you provide the label. I can ship it asap.

And then I say: I'm willing to give you the bag, but I am NOT paying for shipping. Period.

Last thing she said to me: Oh! Wow! You’re willing to give me “my” bag!?!? How kind of you! I returned all your money including shipping. Of course I’m filing a report.

It will be a month this Friday since the case has been closed. I reached out to eBay and they said they can't do anything about her filing a police report, but it won't go far because SHE refunded me on an item that I purchased from her. I didn't steal it. I have the bag still packaged and ready to ship.

What would you do? Shipping would cost around $18 and I just don't think it's fair when she sent me garbage. If I had a change of heart, fine. I would pay for shipping. But she left out so much wear and I'm not just being picky. The strap had knotted bunch of hair and was literally fraying and on it's last thread. I just can't believe she didn't notice that.

This has happened to quite a few others. You've made it clear that if she wants her bag, she needs to provide a return label. It is pretty stupid of her to fight the $18 for a return label when she is losing the value of the bag. She must be inexperienced. Every return I've ever had, whether I'm the buyer or seller, the refund isn't given until the bag is returned. Why would she refund you before receiving the bag back? Sounds like she has no idea what she is doing. I believe you have followed ebay rules. She can't do anything to you.

Reactions: lovebug702

Sep 20

Sep 19
You sent a message

Sep 18

Sep 18
You created a return
Reason for return

Comments

Thank you.

I'd hold out for the return label. You did nothing wrong and followed all of the rules that were put in place by eBay. Plus she seems like a PITA. I just don't understand how people think it's OK to talk to people like that and then expect some good to come out of it...

This has happened to quite a few others. You've made it clear that if she wants her bag, she needs to provide a return label. It is pretty stupid of her to fight the $18 for a return label when she is losing the value of the bag. She must be inexperienced. Every return I've ever had, whether I'm the buyer or seller, the refund isn't given until the bag is returned. Why would she refund you before receiving the bag back? Sounds like she has no idea what she is doing. I believe you have followed ebay rules. She can't do anything to you.

I'd hold out for the return label. You did nothing wrong and followed all of the rules that were put in place by eBay. Plus she seems like a PITA. I just don't understand how people think it's OK to talk to people like that and then expect some good to come out of it...
I'm going to go against the tide here.

I'd give her another 2 weeks, sending a couple of emails during that time to remind her, "I'm still waiting for you to send a prepaid shipping label."

Although you won't be obligated to return it, I (personally) wouldn't feel comfortable keeping a $600 item that had been refunded so I'd find the cheapest shipping method and send it back on my own dime. I'd rather be out $18 than not be able to sleep because I kept a $600 item.

But also, if you have to pay return shipping, you can send the seller a message via feedback.

Anybody start the process with the new eBay Authenticate service?
https://www.ebay.com/s/itemauthentication/seller

I have a LV bag in excellent shape that I want to sell, but my old account got expunged for some reason (inactivity?). So I am starting anew with the selling history, which probably is not attractive to buyers, plus I have never sold a bag on there before. But, with eBay authentication and them handling the sale and shipping I am thinking that people would be more likely to buy and I would be less likely to run into problems. And eBay only keeps 10% at the moment. Should I give the service a shot?

I have a LV bag in excellent shape that I want to sell, but my old account got expunged for some reason (inactivity?). So I am starting anew with the selling history, which probably is not attractive to buyers, plus I have never sold a bag on there before. But, with eBay authentication and them handling the sale and shipping I am thinking that people would be more likely to buy and I would be less likely to run into problems. And eBay only keeps 10% at the moment. Should I give the service a shot?
If you get to set your own price, I don't see any downside. However, I've heard it is going to be listed by ebay's valet seller. The listings I've seen have terrible pictures and descriptions, and they never get top prices for their stuff due to this. It also looks like they determine the price, so you could end up with peanuts.

Do they give you any input into sale price or can you specify a minimum sales price? If so, I'd give it a shot.