eBay, etc. General Question/Answer Thread

UPS question--
I found a box by my front door, delivered by UPS. It has my address but someone else's name. (Whatever it is, I didn't order it)
I looked up the name and they live down the street.
What's the easiest, proper way for me to deal with it?

This happened to me with UPS & I took it to the UPS hub (it wasn't far from my house) & they returned it to sender.

A FedEx package was delivered to me this past Dec but it wasn't my name or address. I called FedEx to let them know. I gave them the tracking number and my address. She kept asking for the weight, the address. The ship from name etc...I told her I gave her the tracking number-all that info can be found under the tracking number in her system. She found the info she needed & told me they'd pick up the next day. Three days later it's still on my porch. I kept thinking the poor guy who ordered it can't prove he didn't get it because it shows delivered. Although it was across town, I delivered the package myself. To this day he probably thinks that FedEx finally delivered it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Catbird9
Hi guys, quick question. I'm fairly new to eBay and I won an auction today but had a question regarding the bidding history. Normally, I increase my bid one at a time but since I really wanted this item and I knew how much I was willing to pay, I just put in my max. I won it but instead of my bid just going to the next highest bid or whatever, it went all the way up to my max. I looked at the bidding history, I see that one buyer bid 3 times within 40 seconds to put the winning bid at my max. Is that normal?

Geez, I hope I'm making sense here...thank you!

Hi guys, quick question. I'm fairly new to eBay and I won an auction today but had a question regarding the bidding history. Normally, I increase my bid one at a time but since I really wanted this item and I knew how much I was willing to pay, I just put in my max. I won it but instead of my bid just going to the next highest bid or whatever, it went all the way up to my max. I looked at the bidding history, I see that one buyer bid 3 times within 40 seconds to put the winning bid at my max. Is that normal?

It could be normal. Many people bid in the last seconds of an auction, and many people bid multiple times. There are times when there is shill bidding. The way you would normally see that is if the other bidder had a history of bidding only for that seller. It is hard to prove but, for example, if the buyer bid on 5 listings for the same seller and not any other seller's listings, it would look like shill bidding.

I purchased a bag from seller who listed it as nwot. I emailed her prior to bidding asking her if the bag had ever been carried because the lighting was reflecting on the front of the bag (it was black) and I wanted to be sure if it was the lighting or a discoloration. She assured me the bag was not used and had never even been removed from its dustbag since purchase 5 months prior. I received the bag and it was soooo used and stained. The front was not discolored. It was actually the lighting but the edges were coming apart slightly, there were wrappers and hair inside the bag and numerous stains all over the lining along with a smoke smell. So I requested a return for not as described (immediately upon receiving the bag). I simply stated the bag was not new as advertised, submitted a ton of pictures & asked for a return.
I got blasted with a cuss filled email from her saying I was a liar.
I responded politely that I wanted the bag but I wanted it in the condition she described and I'll return the bag exactly as I received it. (I could've blasted her but I thought it was best not to engage with her and I responded calmly.)
So she sent the label. I returned it. She refunded me at the very last minute. In 19 years and 3200+ transactions, I've only left neg FB 3 times. I'm careful about doing that. I believe this transaction warrants a negative for this seller. When I try to leave FB it tells me to please contact the seller to work it out before leaving neg. I get the same message if I try to leave neutral too for her. Why am I not able to leave anything but presumably positive FB for her? That doesn't seem fair. Future buyers need to know what she's capable of and what if she relists the bag as nwot?

Last edited:
It could be normal. Many people bid in the last seconds of an auction, and many people bid multiple times. There are times when there is shill bidding. The way you would normally see that is if the other bidder had a history of bidding only for that seller. It is hard to prove but, for example, if the buyer bid on 5 listings for the same seller and not any other seller's listings, it would look like shill bidding.

Aw, I really hope it was shill bidding [emoji17] it's from a seller that I've bought from before, yuko0702. Oh well, I guess. I was just curious. Thank you!!

I purchased a bag from seller who listed it as nwot. I emailed her prior to bidding asking her if the bag had ever been carried because the lighting was reflecting on the front of the bag (it was black) and I wanted to be sure if it was the lighting or a discoloration. She assured me the bag was not used and had never even been removed from its dustbag since purchase 5 months prior. I received the bag and it was soooo used and stained. The front was not discolored. It was actually the lighting but the edges were coming apart slightly, there were wrappers and hair inside the bag and numerous stains all over the lining along with a smoke smell. So I requested a return for not as described (immediately upon receiving the bag). I simply stated the bag was not new as advertised, submitted a ton of pictures & asked for a return.
I got blasted with a cuss filled email from her saying I was a liar.
I responded politely that I wanted the bag but I wanted it in the condition she described and I'll return the bag exactly as I received it. (I could've blasted her but I thought it was best not to engage with her and I responded calmly.)
So she sent the label. I returned it. She refunded me at the very last minute. In 19 years and 3200+ transactions, I've only left neg FB 3 times. I'm careful about doing that. I believe this transaction warrants a negative for this seller. When I try to leave FB it tells me to please contact the seller to work it out before leaving neg. I get the same message if I try to leave neutral too for her. Why am I not able to leave anything but presumably positive FB for her? That doesn't seem fair. Future buyers need to know what she's capable of and what if she relists the bag as nwot?
In my experience, you can just disregard the "please contact the seller" message. It does not prevent you from going ahead and filling out the form and clicking the "Leave Feedback" button.

In my experience, you can just disregard the "please contact the seller" message. It does not prevent you from going ahead and filling out the form and clicking the "Leave Feedback" button.

Update: i tried again. I couldn't do it on my iPad or computer but it let me do it from my phone. Weird. I hate leaving neg FB so badly. But I also feel bad if I don't let other buyers know. The nasty email was just over the top. I'm sure now that I've left neg FB I'll get cussed out again. LOL

Last edited:

Yes, you're making sense and no, that's not terribly unusual. As 'whateve' pointed out, many bidders wait until the last minute and then bid frantically trying to win.

I once bid $100 on an item with a 'fair' price of maybe $50 (but I really wanted it). I was 'winning' at $20. Then, about 12 hours before the auction ended, someone bid $30. I was still winning. Then they bid $40. I was still winning. Then they bid $1,000. Now they were winning at $102.50 (since my high bid was $100).

Ok, fine - they really, REALLY wanted it. I was ready to let it go.

An hour before auction end, they cancelled their $1000 bid (making mine the high bid again at just over $40). Then they bid $99 - making me the 'winner' at $100. Now THAT'S shill bidding. I complained to ebay - they did nothing - so I ended up paying $100. This happened years ago - rules might have changed a bit since then - but it still bothers me. Not the $100 - I was willing to pay that - but the fact that the seller got away with it.

Aw, I really hope it was shill bidding [emoji17] it's from a seller that I've bought from before, yuko0702. Oh well, I guess. I was just curious. Thank you!!
Now that you've mentioned the seller, I have little doubt whether or not it was shill bidding. (If you'd like, I'll look at the listing and tell you which if any bidders are shills. If you aren't comfortable posting, you can PM me.)

Yes, you're making sense and no, that's not terribly unusual. As 'whateve' pointed out, many bidders wait until the last minute and then bid frantically trying to win.

I once bid $100 on an item with a 'fair' price of maybe $50 (but I really wanted it). I was 'winning' at $20. Then, about 12 hours before the auction ended, someone bid $30. I was still winning. Then they bid $40. I was still winning. Then they bid $1,000. Now they were winning at $102.50 (since my high bid was $100).

Ok, fine - they really, REALLY wanted it. I was ready to let it go.

An hour before auction end, they cancelled their $1000 bid (making mine the high bid again at just over $40). Then they bid $99 - making me the 'winner' at $100. Now THAT'S shill bidding. I complained to ebay - they did nothing - so I ended up paying $100. This happened years ago - rules might have changed a bit since then - but it still bothers me. Not the $100 - I was willing to pay that - but the fact that the seller got away with it.

You make a good point, thank you! ...i was just curious so I figured I'd ask on here [emoji4]

Now that you've mentioned the seller, I have little doubt whether or not it was shill bidding. (If you'd like, I'll look at the listing and tell you which if any bidders are shills. If you aren't comfortable posting, you can PM me.)

Thank yo!! I sent you a PM [emoji4]

Hi. I have a question and was wondering if someone can help me. I sold an expensive item on eBay (I will be including insurance and signature confirmation); however the name (first name) on the PayPal payment is different than the winner of the auction. I'm assuming a family member made the payment because it's the same last name. The address is also the same.

I checked the eBay community and all I can find answers are if the name is totally different; whereas they say to call.

I sent the auction winner an email and message through eBay but I have yet to get an answer.

Thanks.

Hi. I have a question and was wondering if someone can help me. I sold an expensive item on eBay (I will be including insurance and signature confirmation); however the name (first name) on the PayPal payment is different than the winner of the auction. I'm assuming a family member made the payment because it's the same last name. The address is also the same.

I checked the eBay community and all I can find answers are if the name is totally different; whereas they say to call.

I sent the auction winner an email and message through eBay but I have yet to get an answer.

Thanks.
I have had many sales like this, with no problems. I always assume it's the spouses paypal. But wait and see what other more experienced eBay people think.

I have had many sales like this, with no problems. I always assume it's the spouses paypal. But wait and see what other more experienced eBay people think.

Thank you for your quick response. Yeah that's what I figured.
On the PayPal site, the email and user name is also the same as eBay; except for the first name.
I was going to do my shipping through eBay, but I think I'll do my shipping through PayPal.