EBAY "Authenticity Guarantee"

Nov 29, 2006
Hi all,

I am watching an auction of a LV bag, whose seller has 0 feedback. Normally, I would pass on high end items listed for well below what other sellers are currently listing and from a seller with no feedback. However, this auction had "Authenticity Guarantee." My question is how reliable is ebay's authentication process? Of course, should I get the bag, I'd still get it authenticated by a reputable company. But if that company disagrees, what recourse do I have with ebay? Would appreciate any advice from those who might have gone through the process.

Hi all,

I am watching an auction of a LV bag, whose seller has 0 feedback. Normally, I would pass on high end items listed for well below what other sellers are currently listing and from a seller with no feedback. However, this auction had "Authenticity Guarantee." My question is how reliable is ebay's authentication process? Of course, should I get the bag, I'd still get it authenticated by a reputable company. But if that company disagrees, what recourse do I have with ebay? Would appreciate any advice from those who might have gone through the process.
Is not very reliable. I gave opinions for several wrongly authenticated and passed ''Authenticity Guarantee'' inspection Hermes items.
Here is one sold fake Kelly Pochette with ''Authenticity Guarantee''. Тhe seller has left a positive feedback to the buyer which leads me to believe that this item also passed their inspection ( this is an assumption)

Last edited:
Reactions: MAGJES
Last edited:
Reactions: peacelovesequin
Hi all,

I returned a bag one time after it went through this authentication process but not because it was not authentic but because it was not as described. I had to return it to the authentication service then they returned it to the seller. It was a slow process. Two weeks to receive the bag originally (the authentication center is in Nevada and I am on the east coast) and two weeks after mailing the bag back before even a determination was sent to me. 5 weeks after purchase I received my refund.

I tried to settle this directly with the seller before filing my claim but they told me that nothing is returnable now if it's been sent to the authentication center - was told the service not only authenticates but they also determine if the condition matches the listing description. Well - this scared me because it certainly did not match! I guess I proved this seller is incorrect because ebay sided with me. I wanted to love that bag but I could not get past the imperfection that was not disclosed.

My favorite eBay seller is in Japan. The other day I noticed one of their items had the authentication guarantee on it from eBay. It made me really sad because this seller ships DHL and gets their items to me in about 3 days from Japan. I don't want to have to start waiting around for 2 weeks for eBay to do a BS authentication on something that I already know is authentic. The last time eBay sent me something on behalf of a seller it got lost for 3 weeks.

My favorite eBay seller is in Japan. The other day I noticed one of their items had the authentication guarantee on it from eBay. It made me really sad because this seller ships DHL and gets their items to me in about 3 days from Japan. I don't want to have to start waiting around for 2 weeks for eBay to do a BS authentication on something that I already know is authentic. The last time eBay sent me something on behalf of a seller it got lost for 3 weeks.
Hi sorry to hear ur package got lost for 3 weeks I hope I wasn’t ur seller bc that just happened to me with a LV item not too long ago. The buyer was the sweetest ever god bless their patient

Hi sorry to hear ur package got lost for 3 weeks I hope I wasn’t ur seller bc that just happened to me with a LV item not too long ago. The buyer was the sweetest ever god bless their patient
It was a year or two ago so probably not you. It was a seller in the UK and eBay "managed" their delivery.

Reactions: Peridot_Paradise
So I listed an item for sell on EBay and “authenticity guarantee” was applied automatically to my item. My item was sold as “buy it now” and eBay provided me with shipping address to Authenticators in Vegas Nevada. Then they shipped my item to the buyer. The buyer received the package and opened a case on me saying my item is not authentic bc EBay Authenticators had included this in the package. I already know my item is authentic bc I purchased it directly from the boutique. Does anyone know what items qualify for “authenticity guarantee”? My item was not a bag would that make a difference?
2D34D18C-1574-482E-BB7E-3FBA43131AB2.png

• Wow
Reactions: AshleyNicoleXOXO
Does anyone know what items qualify for “authenticity guarantee”? My item was not a bag would that make a difference?
Here are the categories and the rules/info. As you'll see, some brands qualify, at certain price tiers, while other merch doesn't. It sounds like you listed it as [x], which fits the program for checking authenticity, and when they received it to authenticate it's actually [y], whether a different brand or a lower price tier (price is enough to push it out of the Auth Guarantee program). Something like that? And maybe this is how they communicate it to the buyer. Not saying it wasn't authentic but that it fell outside the assurance program.

https://pages.ebay.com/authenticity-guarantee-seller/

Last edited:
Reactions: Peridot_Paradise
Here are the categories and the rules/info. As you'll see, some brands qualify, at certain price tiers, while other merch doesn't. It sounds like you listed it as [x], which fits the program for checking authenticity, and when they received it to authenticate it's actually [y], whether a different brand or a lower price tier (price is enough to push it out of the Auth Guarantee program). Something like that? And maybe this is how they communicate it to the buyer. Not saying it wasn't authentic but that it fell outside the assurance program.

https://pages.ebay.com/authenticity-guarantee-seller/
I think my item qualified for “authenticity guarantee” based on the price only im assuming and since it’s an accessory they did not want to authenticate it. I’m assuming they only authenticate bags and SLGs. eBay sided w the buyer right away and made me accept the return

I just had a bad experience with the Ebay Authenticity process, I can’t believe it! They’re not really professionals & reliable authenticators. I sold my pristine Dior Booktote & had to pass through the authenticators in Las Vegas. I bought all my highend bags directly from the official stores including my Dior Booktote & I still have the original store receipt saved. They returned the bag & cancelled my sale because they said my bag was fake. I included my bag with the original packaging prestine Dior box & it came back damaged. They packed my bag with their Ebay dustbag & the Dior dustbag was just in the bottom. I just lost a sale! I’m so angry & disappointed! I tried to speak to Ebay CS to complain & faced with deaf ears. Anybody have this experience? I can’t believe how unprofessional Ebay has become, I will never sell there again!

I just had a bad experience with the Ebay Authenticity process, I can’t believe it! They’re not really professionals & reliable authenticators. I sold my pristine Dior Booktote & had to pass through the authenticators in Las Vegas. I bought all my highend bags directly from the official stores including my Dior Booktote & I still have the original store receipt saved. They returned the bag & cancelled my sale because they said my bag was fake. I included my bag with the original packaging prestine Dior box & it came back damaged. They packed my bag with their Ebay dustbag & the Dior dustbag was just in the bottom. I just lost a sale! I’m so angry & disappointed! I tried to speak to Ebay CS to complain & faced with deaf ears. Anybody have this experience? I can’t believe how unprofessional Ebay has become, I will never sell there again!
Sorry to hear this happened. How did Ebay CS resolve this issue? I recently sold my LV PSP sunrise pastel and since it's new and limited edition I'm so worried Ebay authenticator might not be able to tell the authenticity!!!

I just bought a Prada bag from eBay that had the "authenticity guaranteed" on it as well. Shipped to an authenticator in Las Vegas and just received it yesterday. No problems whatsoever. Somewhat fast shipping (I live in Colorado, so not too far), and since I had it authenticated on here on the Prada authenticate this thread, I feel confident. Came back authentic, so I'm happy about that. Thought this whole process was weird since I have never experienced it before.

Reactions: mixlv
I had a positive experience selling with eBay's authenticity guarantee in the UK. Was expecting a bit of a wait, but it took only a couple of days with the authenticator, before being on its way promptly to a very happy buyer.

Having struggled with eBay's customer service (or lack thereof) in the past, though, I'd dread anything going wrong. Find it takes about 3 rounds of complaining before you even get anything other than an automated response with the cs team here. :annoyed:

Reactions: mixlv