Would you trust eBay's Authentication Service as a buyer?

melissatrv

O.G.
Feb 8, 2009
I ordered an LV bag. I have owned this bag before so I know what it feels like. Ebay authentication says it is the real deal. I am no sure. The bag is an LV Trouville in Multicolor. The listing says brand new and now I am thinking "who would have a brand new MC Trouville?" The style is rather old. There is clear pull of plastic covering the brass on the corners and the zippers. Did/Does LV do this? I paid a lot for this bag in comparison to a pre-loved. So I am not sure what to do :sad:

I have seen clear plastic on the corners before and sometimes on the zipper pulls. I've also seen blue plastic on the zipper pulls. Do you have a link to the auction? Even if eBay authenticates it when you get it if you don't feel it's authentic you can always say it's not in the condition you expected and return it. More than likely it's not "new", it's like new, unused or very slightly used.

No, I would not. The folks they send it to in Las Vegas have no clue, especially on older bags. I recently purchased a BV Knot that I *knew* what it looked like and how it should be. They 'authenticated' it as a "Official Bottega Veneta Double Knot" and included a fancy plastic card what that printed on it. There is not such thing as a "Double Knot", seriously. All eBay's 'service' did was extend the shipping time.

Reactions: Conni618 and MAGJES
I ordered an LV bag. I have owned this bag before so I know what it feels like. Ebay authentication says it is the real deal. I am no sure. The bag is an LV Trouville in Multicolor. The listing says brand new and now I am thinking "who would have a brand new MC Trouville?" The style is rather old. There is clear pull of plastic covering the brass on the corners and the zippers. Did/Does LV do this? I paid a lot for this bag in comparison to a pre-loved. So I am not sure what to do :sad:
It’s sounds like a nightmare. I had a problem with LV in a past. Authenticate4u.com saved me from getting stuck with this ugly counterfeit and loosing a lot of money. They could be little slow with respond. Get in touch with them on Facebook. They are the best at what they do. I used 3 other services and they couldn’t recognize the fake, because it was SUPER FAKE.
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with A4U.

Reactions: mlbjpl
Absolutely freakin NOT
Did you try having it authenticated here? I know that they have stipulations on what they will or won't look at
I agree that A4U is trustworthy

I have seen some great super fake LV bags (limited edition, leather bags, monogram, DE bags), but I have not seen a super fake multicolor bag, guess it takes lots of steps to make it look like the real thing, the hardware, the print, the lining, many of the fakes either prints look oddly vibrant or lining isn't right, hardware is difficult to make it right too. I would be very surprised if ebay in person authentication makes mistake on this particular bag.

I suppose you also could post it at authentication thread?

OK, I went and took a look, the bag look authentic to me since I had bought and sold some multicolor bags too, it looks never used or carefully carried once twice indoors, forget about the plastic thing, could be some reseller along the way put them on themselves.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t trust them confirming authenticity when it contradicted my own knowledge or a reputable authenticator, but I would rather not spend the money if they deemed an item fake, though I know they’ve made mistakes on this too.

Overall, though, this service only makes me reconsider future purchases from them because if an item passes authentication, it gives another obstacle to getting refunded should an item be counterfeit and I see less scrupulous sellers taking advantage of their lack of knowledge while legitimate sellers flee because they can’t take the risk of having their real bag deemed fake.

As an aside, I have seen a super fake multicolore bag. The canvas was correctly printed with all the color variations and shades, raspberry alcantara lining, and the hardware was spot on, but the bag was a very limited style and was never produced in MC canvas and had a unique lining. This was when MC was first released too; I can only imagine how much the technology has improved now.

I have seen some great super fake LV bags (limited edition, leather bags, monogram, DE bags), but I have not seen a super fake multicolor bag, guess it takes lots of steps to make it look like the real thing, the hardware, the print, the lining, many of the fakes either prints look oddly vibrant or lining isn't right, hardware is difficult to make it right too. I would be very surprised if ebay in person authentication makes mistake on this particular bag.

I suppose you also could post it at authentication thread?

OK, I went and took a look, the bag look authentic to me since I had bought and sold some multicolor bags too, it looks never used or carefully carried once twice indoors, forget about the plastic thing, could be some reseller along the way put them on themselves.

Thank you for checking it out and the response. Yes this was it https://www.ebay.com/itm/185247202465

I've owned this bag and it certainly looks authentic to me! But that price... Whew. No way.

I totally agree the price is extremely high. Unfortunately I hardly ever see this bag in decent condition anymore or in the US. With everything going on, I did not want to risk an overseas shipment. And I wanted it more than anything currently available at LV.

I totally agree the price is extremely high. Unfortunately I hardly ever see this bag in decent condition anymore or in the US. With everything going on, I did not want to risk an overseas shipment. And I wanted it more than anything currently available at LV.
The heart wants what it wants! No judgement, I totally understand. I've been struggling with something I really want but don't want to spend the money on. ;)