Valuable Articles Insurance

A_V, from what you're describing, you have reason to be concerned with reimbursement after a possible loss. It sounds like you have a fantastic collection of designer clothing.

At long last, couture and designer clothing and bags, even of recent vintage, are getting the respect they deserve. Dealers and auction houses are understanding what collectors like you have known all along--that design and craftsmanship can be magnificent in these items, they can transcend their stylistic period, and this has some financial worth.

Insurance is for replacement value. From what I have always understood, you insure items so that in case of loss, you can be made "whole" again, not better and not worse off than before. In the case of a Chanel suit from 1995, you can replace the item, given enough money and time. Chanel would probably remake the suit from photos, but can this be done for $5K? Probably not.

Collections of items are frequently more valuable than a smaller group of single items. One or two Chanel suits from a recent collection might be depreciated in case of a loss. The same Chanel suits as part of a collection can be arguably not depreciable.

Your collection of clothing probably needs to be professionally appraised and added as a rider to your policy. Once this is done, it's significantly easier to work out arrangements with an insurance company in case of a loss. I can't tell you how many clients I've worked with, arguing with insurance companies, explaining how a brand new tea set from Reed and Barton can't possibly replace the loss of a 19th century tea set made by one of the best English silversmiths ever known. The company wanted to replace a 6 figure tea set with one costing around $4K. Not cool.

Bottom line, from your description, I would think you have a collection worth appraising and insuring. I'll be happy to let you know how to go about finding a qualified appraiser if you PM me.

hey guys, thanks as always for your thoughtful replies!

don't get me wrong, i LOVE LOVE LOVE my new bag. i like just to sit it on my shelf and drool over it (when i'm not using it). i just want to see if there's anyway to insure if it's stolen or lost. it's just a LOT of money! i live in the US and go through state farm, and i think they weren't too helpful when i told them i needed to insure my bag. if i can't get a rider from them that covers most of it, i might have to use an alternative vendor.

can those of you who have mentioned other insurance policies send me the names or post it here? i'd super duper appreciate it too!

thanks for the good discussion, as always. :biggrin:

Yes - I don't have a big collection, but it's coverd as part of our homeowner's insurance. We didn't have to buy a separate rider for bags, just for jewelry and furs.
It's worth the peace of mind - the insurance on my jewelry will pay to by new rings over time, but not having to worry about being robbed/stones falling out when I travel, work, etc... is worth the cost to me.

Firemans Fund is wonderful to work with for losses.
If you don't mind, I would like to know how the tea service loss worked out. I won't even ask the name of the company, can guess its one of 2 who are know to put the screws to their clients.
gga - is it common for my agent to ask for an independent appraisal of that item when I add it to my rider? They have always sent someone out for the appraisal but I was wondering if this was a Fireman's issue.

Hi VLL,

It's very common for an insurance company to ask for an independent appraisal, in my experience.

As far as the tea service went: I told my clients not to discuss money AT ALL with the insurance company, to continue to assert that they just wanted their tea set replaced with as close a period replica as possible, and to let me argue with the insurance agent. I explained minutely, both verbally and in writing why a modern tea set can't replace a tea set made by one of the best 19th century English silversmiths. I calmly explained over the course of 20 pages that a modern American tea set would not make my clients "whole," which was why they paid premiums in the first place. To put this into an H perspective, this would be like trying to replace a crocodile and diamond Birkin with a printed vinyl and rhinestone lookalike from Harry's House of Fakes.

It took a bit of back and forth, but the company eventually paid the horrifying cost to replace the set, and not what they would have paid Reed and Barton for a new set.

I've found that most times, insurance adjusters aren't trying to be difficult or unpleasant; they just don't fully understand what the claim really represents. They see a claim for an $8,500 handbag and think it would be fine to replace it with something from the House of Fakes, because it still would look sorta like what the insured had. The whole reason for insuring our beautiful leather children is that to collectors or those who appreciate art or craftsmanship, only the legit item can approximate a legit item.

My insurance agent (my company is Firemans Fund) assured me that my Hermes bags or any bag is covered under my contents. She just asked that I have a photograph of the bag and keep the receipt. In addition she mentioned that the deductible will apply if there is a loss, so this should be kept in mind in case of any losses. It does afford piece of mind to know that if the bag was lost or stolen while in use it is still covered, at least with my homeowners policy it is. YAY!

oh it's so true. i'm being terrific and reasonable about my next. i'm waiting patiently. i'm good. but that's because i have an H bag. any catastrophe, big or small, that takes out my H bag... forget it. i'm going to have another one (and most likely an upgrade at that:graucho:) in the blink of an eye, let me tell you. anyone want to play cops and robbers this weekend? (i shouldn't joke.)

well, it sounds like i need to have a talk with my insurance agent STAT :smile: i hope there is a rider that can cover it.

i guess as far as heaven forbid something happens to my bag, it is a bag after all :smile: and like hiheels, i'd definitely get another one, though it would hurt my wallet (a bearn by the way ;) ) quite a bit to do so!

I had about 5 of my special birkins insured when we were living overseas via Chubb. Cost literally an arm and a leg! I have yet to get something here since we moved back. Need to do that real soon....

This is a little off-topic but related to valuing our Hermes bags - when my DH and I were doing our estate/will 3 yrs ago, our lawyers asked if I had any assets that I would like to include in my will. Jewelry - check, bags - they go HUH?!?! till I told them the total value of my bag collection and insisted that it is valuable enough to be included in our will.

But I don't think they understood how somebody can have a bag collection that is THAT valuable!

hey, this is a silly question :smile: i was wondering if you guys insure your bags at all? just wondering, i tried to add it to my homeowner's insurance but they said they'd only cover the first 1500 and that ain't going to fly! any opinions please :smile:

Thanks in advance.
I do, evvery one that is above $3000 individually. If ur in Aust. Fly or no fly.:heart: