"Don't buy clothes, save your money for jewelry"

My best friend is Indian and her mother died when she was 5. At 21 she inherited all her mother's jewelry and told me for the first time she felt a tangible connection with her mother because she actually had something belonging to her that she knew would last forever. She loved hearing the stories of when and how her mom acquired the pieces and looking at the old photos of her to try to find the pieces she now had.

Another friend's grandmother told us years ago to make sure every gift we ever received was jewelry and either 18kt plus gold or diamonds. She said selling her jewelry had pulled her and her family out of a jam many times over the years and, when she was growing up, she was told jewelry was the only thing you could travel with easily if you ever had to quickly leave where you were!

Finally, my manicurist has a lot of Middle Eastern clients whose nails she does at their homes. She said they're often draped in the most exquisite jewelry under their burkas and one told her it was for that same reason. If ever she had to leave her home quickly she'd have valuable assets with her that she could use for cash.

That being said, I don't have any really out of this world fabulous pieces but feel like I should work on that now!
Such an interesting post. And so true! You have totally given me justification for spending far too much on jewelry over the years but you are correct...I wear jewelry from both my Mom and Grandmother and I think of them each day when I wear the pieces I have from them. They truly are my prized possessions.

I do agree. When properly cared for, jewelry can last a lifetime and longer! But I think, for both clothing and jewelry purchases, each one should be done with care. You can buy lots of tacky jewelry or clothes, that gives instant satisfaction, but in the long run disappear into your closet, or you can buy some carefully selected pieces that can be used for every occasion in your life.

Reactions: Daosabao
After being a site "lurker" for a while, I finally joined and this thread was one of the big inspirations! Growing up, both grandmother and mother used jewelry as the "carrot" for good behavior. Then I got drowned in designer clothes for a few years there... but back on the bandwagon!

Recently reviewed all the clothing bought in 2013 and made a 2014 budget based on the fact that 2/3 of money spent on 2013 clothes... well, I don't remember what I bought and probably never wear it. Considering that it was enough for a LOVE... well, needless to say I'd probably get more wear out of a LOVE bracelet and frankly, it'd be cheaper per wear :biggrin:

I'd caution against jewelry as an investment, though. In many patriarchal societies, jewelry was the only property women could own, and thus was crucial. We blessedly don't have those restrictions and can go with any investment we choose.

When you consider that gold has fallen from 2k to $1,200--that 18k is 75% pure--that the markup is huge--etc--other investments are much wiser. Buy jewelry because you love it and will wear it! but not as means to financial stability. (And be wary of buying to pass it down--most daughters, mothers and granddaughters don't have the same taste!)

For ex, the Love contains around 30 grams of gold, depending on size. Today's gold is at $40ish per gram, so that means the Love contains $1,200 worth of gold--except that it's 75% gold/25% other metals, so I think it's actually $900 worth of gold? Of course, with branded gold you can often re-sell for what you paid for it; but with non-branded, you can generally expect to get back around 10-20% of retail if sold for scrap; pawn shops often resell at 50% of retail, and when inventory doesn't sell, they scrap it. I say all that as someone who loves jewelry & buys gold--but for investment, it's all about the house and the 401k!

Oh I agree. But it's all relative. the wrong home can be a massive liability, especially if it takes up all your money for years and isn't bringing in a return or ends up needing a lot of work or the neighborhood depreciates etc. Gold/jewelry isn't an investment really but if speaking about buying either clothes or jewelry with money, jewelry wins every time because it has some resale value. As you said, buy because you love, not to resell.

I'd caution against jewelry as an investment, though. In many patriarchal societies, jewelry was the only property women could own, and thus was crucial. We blessedly don't have those restrictions and can go with any investment we choose.

When you consider that gold has fallen from 2k to $1,200--that 18k is 75% pure--that the markup is huge--etc--other investments are much wiser. Buy jewelry because you love it and will wear it! but not as means to financial stability. (And be wary of buying to pass it down--most daughters, mothers and granddaughters don't have the same taste!)

UGh I can't handle what the scrap worth is if it's 900!!!

What ThingofBeauty said! I'm 42 and do not own a single piece of clothing I had when I was 32 (I just checked). Even those things that were great quality just aren't my style anymore. Whereas jewelry basics (diamond studs, pearls, bangle, etc), I still wear (tho as said I did outgrow the silver.)

this is something im trying to go with .. but got sidetracked for the past year or so with shoes... clothing..

but im trying to get back on track... as DH has already spoken... he would rather buy me more jewelry and watches than clothes and shoes..

ive been the type who always gets her own way and doesn't want to listen..

but i guess he is right... so now save money for more jewels then... :smile:
it's funny my bf is the opposite, he keeps trying to buy me/would rather me by clothes and shoes but jewelry is far more fun for me

you ladies make me switch over from clothes/bags to jewelry! which really make sense!! the value of gold is always there not clothes!!

now... i regretted buying so many clothes :nogood:

I think clothes are important because one wants to look her best, and appearances are important. Looking our best helps our self confidence too.

But like everything else it's all about balance. There's no point on buying so many clothes that they go unused and sit in the closet until the closet is cleaned out and they are given away.
Same for jewelry or anything else, if it's not being used it's a luxury (not that luxuries are bad.)

I will say that used/estate jewelry can be a good buy sometimes and can be sold for pretty much what it was bought for if needed.

I agree with this to an extent.
Nice basics ( well cut/ tailored simple pieces) that are timeless. Great jewelry can dress up anything. I do feel that nice shoes/ handbag are important. Not that you need an entire closet full of bags/ shoes but they can elevate or cheapen a look fast.

I agree with this to an extent.
Nice basics ( well cut/ tailored simple pieces) that are timeless. Great jewelry can dress up anything. I do feel that nice shoes/ handbag are important. Not that you need an entire closet full of bags/ shoes but they can elevate or cheapen a look fast.
OH MY GOD! This reminds me of the first time I went to Paris. It was a girls' trip and we were so excited! My friend and I didn't have much money but wanted to get a couple of good pieces that we would have for a long time and would be able to say we bought them in Paris. And this other girl, more like a friend of a friend, had lots of money to spend and bought TWO suitcases of cheap clothes and shoes. We spent almost an entire day watching her scurry around buying every single horrible cheap shoe she could find in her size in a store that had a closing down sale! It was an AWFUL experience. I didn't know people shopped like that. She got into an argument at the airport because her bags were too heavy and she had to pay for extra luggage and the extra luggage fee was more than the shoes. I'm shuddering just thinking about it.

OH MY GOD! This reminds me of the first time I went to Paris. It was a girls' trip and we were so excited! My friend and I didn't have much money but wanted to get a couple of good pieces that we would have for a long time and would be able to say we bought them in Paris. And this other girl, more like a friend of a friend, had lots of money to spend and bought TWO suitcases of cheap clothes and shoes. We spent almost an entire day watching her scurry around buying every single horrible cheap shoe she could find in her size in a store that had a closing down sale! It was an AWFUL experience. I didn't know people shopped like that. She got into an argument at the airport because her bags were too heavy and she had to pay for extra luggage and the extra luggage fee was more than the shoes. I'm shuddering just thinking about it.

How awful. When I visited France I was impressed by how chic the French women appeared. There was less of this excess that we see so often here ... The Parisians had a more minimal aesthetic that I love. Even their faces appeared well scrubbed with a touch of lipstick , eyeliner, mascara perhaps.
These women seemed so well put together without trying too hard. I didn't see a ton of obvious labels all at once..there was more discretion. More real style.
I miss Paris.