"Don't buy clothes, save your money for jewelry"

This is a very old thread from 2007!

Clothes do not last, however my figure doesn't last either. Clothes looked wonderful on my very toned and firm youthful body and I am glad I spent on my clothes. Also as a lover of fashion, there is no way I will not pay for the best threads I can pay for (I can't afford couture, if I could I would). That is part of the fun! I don't have most of the clothes now, they yellow, fade and fray but I don't have my figure then either ;) I am glad I indulged in my love for clothes and that those clothes showcased my youthful silhouette. Doesn't matter if those clothes are no longer in my possession, that's not the point.

As for jewellery, I can afford better brands and bigger rocks now at my age than in the past. In fact those delicate pretty diamond earrings and necklaces I wore in the past have been gifted to friends' daughters because they don't suit me now that I am closer to 50. At my age I need bigger and bolder bling. My mother has some beautiful and intricately set items but the settings are so old-fashioned I can't and won't wear them since they don't go with my style. Also the goldsmith told me the gold setting of my jewellery is worth more than the gems they hold and the intricate workmanship so many years ago is unparalleled so all I do is look at them once in a while since resetting is not an option.

My philosophy is I live for the moment and I don't buy anything with the view that it's worth it if it'll last me to the end of my days and beyond. I am dead, I don't care what value my necklace will be in year 2070. I have friends and relatives die very early and sudden deaths. I just hope they had bought, used and enjoyed the things they want and love.

For me I want investment, I buy land/houses/property. Not fashion items. My properties have made me money, my fashion items are sold at consignment shops.

Well said :flowers:

What a wonderful post! I agree with everything you said. It is all about balance, and where you are in life. And I love the part when you said you won’t care what your necklace is worth when you are dead (wishing you a long life my friend). As long as we make the right sensible decision for “us” and enjoy what we have, why care too much about things many many years from now?
thank you, you're too kind

Well said :flowers:
thank you!

Reactions: Chinese Warrior
Investments like property and stock are great for me and I hope to continue to invest there. I like to think of jewelry as gifts rather than investments. Giving my nieces or daughter or other family members jewelry is something for them to enjoy in ways that money cannot buy. It is also a hassle free way of giving them something without accounts, passwords, etc. that is involved in buying stock and property and also taxable. I agree with others that when traveling, and when you run out of money, jewelry is something one can fall back on to sell to get home.

When my dad passed away last year, he had a small amount of money to pass on. Although we had to get rid of all of his clothing because it didn’t fit anyone, his Rolex that he worked so hard to buy was the one thing my three siblings and I cherished. To a certain extent I wish he spent his money on giving me and my siblings each a Rolex so that there wasn’t tension over who would get that one Rolex. (Not because it had monetary value but because it had sentimental value).

The jewelry that I have inherited or been gifted that I don’t like, I reset into something else so that I will wear it and feel like the new piece has even more special meaning than if I had went out and bought the piece by myself. Lately this is where I spend my money in between periods when I am happy with my purse collection.

While it seems like this is a rescusitated old thread, seeing it did make me think. I do follow this rule to a certain extent because a) jewellery will always fit, b) it won’t perish, like fabric does, and c) the materials have intrinsic value.

There are plenty of other, more sentimental reasons to buy jewellery obviously.

I have no illusions at all that they are a financial investment, though!

What a wonderful thread! My clothes and branded bags have come and gone, but my jewellery since a child have remained.

I think we go through different stages in life where different things matter. Clothes and bags no longer matter to me, after I see how much wear and tear they can suffer despite the greatest care taken. I’ve had expensive Hermès silk ruined at the laundry, Chanel, Dior and Hermès bags taken for repair and the owner suffering lots of anxiety and heartache in between the excruciating wait. Good quality jewellery don’t give me such grief and they are totally fuss free.

I don’t really buy myself jewelry, I get it gifted. With that and what I have now inherited from my mum I am more than served. Surprises will be welcome I am sure, but I don’t really have want for any more.

I think jewelry is not such a good investment. Stocks, funds and real state are better. Or even art or other collectibles, so to me it is a question of taste, lifestyle, what you like.

I love clothes and fashion, always have, and as a student I would save to buy, say, a Comme des Garçons jumper on the sale, or that Moschino belt. Do I regret not having spent that money on jewelry? Not at all, those special pieces made me happy on a daily basis, and my daughter is now wearing that CdG jumper and that belt. If anything, I regret the money spent in throw away fashion that gave me no joy. As much as people would like the contrary to be truth, I believe good clothes, fabrics, cuts... make a difference. Though obviously your budget changes with time (and even throw away fashion was better quality when I was young). So If you are into jewelry instead of clothes, spend there. But I don’t like ‘rules’ like this. If good clothes are going to give you more pleasure, why deprive you of it?

Last edited:
I regret the money spent in throw away fashion that gave me no joy. As much as people would like the contrary to be truth, I believe good clothes, fabrics, cuts... make a difference. Though obviously your budget changes with time
. If good clothes are going to give you more pleasure, why deprive you of it?
This! :yes:I stumbled upon this thread accidentally but so glad I did.

Reactions: OogleAtLuxury
As many posters have said, clothes really do not stay that long. The brand and the design might be classic and forever, like Chanel suit or vintage Balenciaga coat etc. However, the material would deteriorate overtime and would be worth less than we paid initially or even no consignment store would accept it if the flaws were major and obvious. Whereas jewelry made from gold or even silver is strong and corroded precious metals is rare situation.

Cartier art deco jewelry would fetch higher prices now than Cartier precious stones accented art deco clutch even the original retail price then for those items were about the same. This is because the clutch does not retain the same condition as the jewelry. The inevitable discoloring and pilling lessen the value and can't be mended. Tarnished jewelry can be cleaned.

Once I saw this lady at the diplomatic bazaar, she wore plain shirt and jeans with ponytail. No branded bag that I could see. No makeup either. But, I remember I glanced at her wrist, she wore Cartier tank watch in dark red leather. I believe it is Tank Louis since the watch size is small and she has small wrist. Instantly, she looked well put together. No eye catching outfit, but its simplicity worn with well made watch is worth the second glance.

Wow so glad I stumbled on this thread, everyone opinions are great to read.
I’m French and have lived in France, UK and USA. I feel every country has different behaviours regarding this. In France women don’t tend to buy lots clothes, they do look for special pieces in second hand shops and buy well made basics new. Bags and jewelry are often heirlooms from mothers and grandmothers
I would say from my experience UK and US women buy lot more clothes. But they also aren’t shy about displaying what they love and that’s great