Do you think twice before posting personal info, photos online?

Yes, I think about it. I post pics here on tPF but I always cover my face..and I blocked my facebook profile, so that only friends can see it and I haven't posted my phone number or address.. I never do internet banking or pay by CC on internet, I only pay with pre-paid cards.

Unfortunately, they're private only to the average person. I hear it's not that difficult to get around those. Plus, websites like the one mentioned earlier, spock.com, search the social network sites and compile info from them.

I might closed both accounts since I barely use them anyway. Besides, the contacts I have is people I get together with once in a while so I have their numbers and they can call me too right ;)

Not really. I've had a MySpace and Facebook forever, and my FB is private, but MySpace is public. It doesn't bother me, because my pictures have been on my old high school's website for years, and its just never really bothered me that much. Many people my age, and younger, are more open with their info, posting numbers and screennames in Myspace bulletins, which I think is ridiculous!

Any online profiles of mine are set to private with only friends able to view it. Even then, I don't list my address or phone number, like I see others do.

I don't mind much about posting my photo online. There's no inappropriate photos floating around because they don't exist.

I'm becoming more conscious of it, as employers tend to search for you and check out Facebook and MySpace to see if you are on there.

My Facebook is for friends only and much of the stuff is limited so that only certain people can see. I don't use MySpace.

I don't care as much about photos, etc, but I can see the concern.

I might closed both accounts since I barely use them anyway. Besides, the contacts I have is people I get together with once in a while so I have their numbers and they can call me too right ;)

I know what you mean. I use email and the phone to stay in contact, so I personally have no use for such websites.

I definitely think twice. I hesitate to post details about my location, job, background, etc. My only pictures are on facebook and you have to be a friend of mine to see my pictures. Even on facebook, I have profiles set up so that only a select group of friends can see pictures other than my profile pic which is of my dog. If I have pictures on flickr, they are by invitation only.

I'm becoming more conscious of it, as employers tend to search for you and check out Facebook and MySpace to see if you are on there.

My Facebook is for friends only and much of the stuff is limited so that only certain people can see. I don't use MySpace.

I don't care as much about photos, etc, but I can see the concern.

They really do! Also, if you file a lawsuit/are a party to one, they may check on you that way too. I admit to doing searches for myspace or facebook when I get plaintiff cases that cross my desk if it appears the person might be in that age bracket or if I have a gut feeling they may have one b/c of things in the file. I've caught quite a few ppl in lies that way (i.e. claim of a back injury, but they post a video w/ a date on it after the accident doing a backflip, cheerleading, keg stand or whatever).

^ Thanks for sharing that info ^

That's part of what I'm talking about.

Information is power, and anything we put out there
can and will be used against us. When we give out
our info, we give away a bit of power.

Honestly, I'm not particularly careful. It's a conscious choice I've made, though. I've known for nearly two decades that I wanted to be a professional writer, and to do that, it means that your full name, likeness, and basic personal details are going to be available for public consumption. If you're not willing to put up with that, you can't be a successful writer. Also, I prefer to write nonfiction, and a lot of the subjects I'm interested in are personal ones - relationships, youth, sexuality, etc. So a lot of what I write is personal, but again, it's something I've carefully considered.

I also don't think that information like my first and last name, my face, or the town that I live in is particularly damaging. More or less everyone that's ever met me knows these things about me, and I can't think of many situations in which hiding any of those from anyone would be particularly useful, or even possible.

My Facebook is private, and there are no work details in my profile.

I have a blog and I blog silly stuff, but I don't mention anything about work.

My greatest fear is having my boss stumble upon my personal photos or me blogging about work ;)

^^Anything that is too personal that I have to "let out" I do so on paper- it can be shredded- no harm, no foul. As for everything else--- I'm getting paranoid!! But I do like keeping in contact with my friends and for some reason it seems that some of them can keep better contact via myspace then any other way, silly, but, kwim?

I had (until today) a Myspace and Facebook page. I was cautious, never published my address, phone, or anything. I made sure that noone but my approved friends saw my profile by setting everything to private. I've yet to have a problem.

So...out of curiousity I took the advice of other posters and checkout out my own name and my DH's name on spock.com. In seconds for $2 someone could have all of my current info as well as every city I've ever lived in and even pictures of me. When I clicked to get more info it brought up some other "interesting sites"

Advertisement:
"with **spyer.com you can download software to uncover hidden private profiles, pictures, and private comments."
"with **keo.com you can find hidden friends private profiles across 40+ social networks"

I had always thought that private meant PRIVATE. Apparently not...but I am willing to admit when I am wrong. I deleted my myspace page (which I never used anyways) and gave my facebook page a trimming down to the bare minimum. I just thought I'd post these here as food for thought to add to what others have already said

MySpace kicks out 90,000 sex offenders, Connecticut AG says

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/02/03/myspace.sex.offenders/index.html

CNN) -- MySpace.com has identified and removed 90,000 convicted sex offenders from its popular social-networking site, according to one of the dozens of state attorneys general who pressured the site to beef up its safety standards.
i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/TECH/02/03/myspace.sex.offenders/art.myspace.safety.jpg MySpace.com's chief security officer said in 2007 that the site has "zero tolerance for sexual predators."

Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal, who spearheaded the campaign to subpoena MySpace, told CNN Radio that he found the number "appalling."
"These convicted, registered sex offenders clearly create profiles seeking to prey on children," he said. "This revelation is totally appalling and unacceptable, and this shocking revelation, resulting from our subpoena, also provides compelling proof that social networking sites remain ripe with sexual predators."
MySpace's chief security officer, Hemanshu Nigam, issued a statement: "As the first and only social networking site to use state of the art technology to identify and remove registered sex offenders from its site, MySpace is proud of its leadership position and hopes that Facebook follows our lead in providing their members with the same protections. As part of our longstanding partnership with law enforcement and state attorneys general, we will continue to readily provide information on these removed offenders for their investigations."
In May, MySpace announced that it would provide the coalition of state attorneys general with information on sex offenders who use the site.

"We have zero tolerance for sexual predators on MySpace," Nigam said at the time, as he introduced a tool known as Sentinel SAFE to track

Ok, so think the problem is solved? Think again!

Thousands of MySpace Sex Offender Refugees Found on Facebook

MySpace is in the spotlight today because it revealed that 90,000 registered sex offenders have been kicked off its site in the past two years. But where did all of those sex offenders go? Some evidence suggests that a portion of them are now on Facebook.
John Cardillo is a former New York City police officer and the CEO of Sentinel, a security technology firm based in Miami which helps MySpace, Bebo, MyYearbook, WePlay, and other social networks identify sex offenders. He goes so far as to call Facebook a “safe haven” for sex offenders. Needless to say, Facebook is not a client, and MySpace is his biggest one. But he shared some data with me that is hard to overlook.
Sentinel’s technology is the foundation for Sentinel SAFE, the software MySpace uses to identify sex offenders on its site. Sentinel SAFE is a database of more than 700,000 registered sex offenders in the U.S., complete with names, photos, dates of birth, email and IM addresses (when available), and more than a hundred other data points. Cardillo took the 90,000 sex offenders who were removed from MySpace and started looking for them on Facebook. He says:
We found over 8,000 offenders on their site without much effort. My professional opinion is that the real number is 15 to 20 times that.
The actual number of matches he found was 8,487. Rather than take his word for it, I have in my possession Cardillo’s spreadsheet with all the names. (Update: Only 4,679 of them, however, are matched to a Facebook user ID). I also have about 100 mugshots of sex offenders along with their corresponding Facebook profile names and pictures. (I’ve reproduced four of the mugshots above). A spot check of the mugshots, which are publicly available, matched names and photos in the National Sex Offender Registry. Once I had the names, it was pretty easy to find them on Facebook as well.
It is theoretically possible that people other than the sex offenders themselves created these Facebook accounts. Although they would have had to go to great lengths to do so (creating false profiles, culling all known information about these offenders, finding credible snapshots of the same people for their profile photos, setting up false e-mail accounts, and repeating the process thousands of times). And it is not clear why anyone would want to create a fake sex offender profile on Facebook. But even if this doesn’t prove that the actual sex offenders themselves created these profiles, it may not really matter.
In a deal with 49 state attorneys general last May, Facebook agreed to identify and remove “profiles of all registered sex offenders.” Presumably this policy covers all profiles on Facebook, regardless of who created them.
How much would it cost Facebook to license the Sentinel screening technology? I asked Cardillo, and he said “fractions of a penny per user.” With 150 million users, he said that would come to under $1 million.
It could be even cheaper for Facebook to develop its own software to check official state sex offender registries, something it has proposed doing in the past. Maybe this home-grown system is already in place. But judging from the matches that Cardillo found, Facebook’s sex offender detection system needs some work. Several groups are already popping up on Facebook itself with names like Get Child Molestors Off Facebook

for more check out the link
http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/02/03/thousands-of-myspace-sex-offender-refugees-found-on-facebook/

Facebook is very strict about the user's privacy, so I don't understand how those programs would be able to trawl closed profiles :hrmm: However, even if they do (I have my doubts) it is alarming indeed. I believe that a general rule of thumb is not to put anything out there that you wouldn't want your grandma or boss to see.