Do you hem your jeans with the original hem?

It depends if I get an original hem. If there is distressing at the hem, then yes. Otherwise, no. My tailor is awesome and he'd let me know if it's necessary to save me a few bucks. Original hem is not cheap.

I had another tPFer PM and she took her jeans to the same tailor as mine andsaid that it was a success! She really liked the job they did.

I think that extra piece of fabric they use to reinforce the hemming really helps. I paid $14 for my jeans which I think is a great price for a great job on a pair of expensive jeans.

I fount this site, very helpful , it describe step by step the process.

http://daciaray.com/?p=38

Step 2: Cuff the jeans. I wanted to take two inches off my hem, so I measured one inch out from the original hem line and pinned. (Do not include the distance from the hem to the end of the jean in your calculations.)

Step 3: Pin around the rest of the cuff, taking care to measure each time you pin.

Mind the seams while you’re pinning. Make sure that the stitching lines up at each seam.

Step 4: It’s time to stitch. You want to place your needle and continue sewing right next to the original hem. Stitch on the right side of the hem, or the side farthest from the bottom of the jean. Sew all the way around the cuff. Be sure you don’t sew through both front and back sides of the jeans (making it so that the foot hole is sewn shut)!

You can either cut the excess off, leaving about a half inch for fraying, or iron the extra material in.

Turn the leg right side out and press the new seam flat, revealing the old hem.

Voila! No more slouchy, unflattering leg.

i came across this thread today searching for hemming solutions for my jeans. i tried this method on my new chip and peppers (from JCP) and it totally worked!! you can't even tell!
OMG. you all have no idea how excited i am!!:yahoo:

In the first two pics in the dark wash, the hem has a ridge, the tailor ruined my citizens and I'm bummed. It's not the original hem.

View attachment 349689 View attachment 349690

I'm a few months late, but I'm pretty sure this IS an original hem - and this is done with the "sandwich method" that everyone else is talking about. The ridge is a little more pronounced than it should be, but the actual hem is the one that the jeans were made with...

When you get jeans done with a sandwich hem, they actually undo the thread on the original hem, sandwich the jeans inbetween, and sew the hem back on using new thread. So the thread isn't the same thread that the jeans came with, but the hem itself is. (Some people prefer sandwich hems, others prefer the method your second tailor used, with the excess fabric surged off and visible when you flip the hems out.)

In the past I've hemmed jeans by myself using the fold method, but in the end I think that it's still worth it to get the jeans hemmed professionally. I have to hem off so much that it's not worth it to have a bunch of fabric bunch near the hem. When you just use the fold method, the jeans don't fall the same way they would if you just cut the excess off...

Unfortunately the only place I can find around my house that does a really good job charges $20 a pair, while Nordstrom charges $36 (!!) So many of my jeans are just still too long :smile:

I found a tailor that will do my original hems for 14! I am sooo excited! The problem is that they don't have any samples. I am contemplating brining an old pair of jeans and getting them done before brining my premium denim. Any thoughts on this?

i took a chance a brought my one and only A-pocket (brand new) to the cleaners 3 days ago, picked it up the next day, the original hemming was good ($15 only yes!) but the only thing i didnt like is that they also ironed it!! my jeans were not ruined but it did have a fold in the front part of the lower leg and the color faded a little bit. i wasn't completely sad (wore the jeans yesterday) but i will remember to tell them not to iron it next time (am bring my 7-pocket ones today).

Strange, I'm 5-2 & taught myself to sew when I was 18 so I could make halloween costumes & my wedding gown. But it never even occurred to me to go to the trouble of shortening my hems. I'd either wear it with a heel or cuff it over a boot. Maybe I'll try it the next time I find a 'cuff me 3X jean'.

I take my jeans to Nordstrom to get hemmed, if they sell that brand in the store it's free of charge, and if they are from somewhere else they are a minimal cost, and they do exactly what you tell them to!