Do you hem your jeans with the original hem?

IMG_9080.jpg

the top one was done by Neiman's (sandwich) and the bottom I did myself (via "fold" method)

IMG_9084.jpg

Oh thats awesome! How do you learn how to do that? I live in the bay and would love to take a class or something that taught basic sewing. Anyone have any idea?:yes:

By the way, your jeans look fabulous!

Does anyone know a good tailor for keeping the hem in the Baltimore/D.C. area? I have only had bad experiences out here. :sad:

Try Montgomery Custom Tailor in Montgomery mall. It's on the lower level to the right of Macy's. I had a pair of Joe's Jeans hemmed there and they use the same method that effinhaute posted pictures of. They charge about $20.

I always get the original hem. If you don't (mostly for jeans), they won't look right at all! Original hem is key and totally worth the few extra bucks. I live in a fairly small-ish town but I can still find someone here who knows how to do it properly. done well, they should exactly the same as the hem you bought them with. The only way you should be able to tell is if you fold the pants inside out, then you can see where the hem was re-attached on the inside. But nobody knows except for yoU!

i do the original hem on my own too. since i don't have a sewing machine in my apartment, i usually sew it by hand and have my mom redo it on a sewing machine when i go home. either way it turns out pretty good and i don't have to waste money at the tailor! i just have to make sure i iron them hem down sometimes or it'll look a bit poofy.

I fount this site, very helpful , it describe step by step the process.

http://daciaray.com/?p=38

Step 2: Cuff the jeans. I wanted to take two inches off my hem, so I measured one inch out from the original hem line and pinned. (Do not include the distance from the hem to the end of the jean in your calculations.)

Step 3: Pin around the rest of the cuff, taking care to measure each time you pin.

Mind the seams while you’re pinning. Make sure that the stitching lines up at each seam.

Step 4: It’s time to stitch. You want to place your needle and continue sewing right next to the original hem. Stitch on the right side of the hem, or the side farthest from the bottom of the jean. Sew all the way around the cuff. Be sure you don’t sew through both front and back sides of the jeans (making it so that the foot hole is sewn shut)!

You can either cut the excess off, leaving about a half inch for fraying, or iron the extra material in.

Turn the leg right side out and press the new seam flat, revealing the old hem.

Voila! No more slouchy, unflattering leg.

omg praise the lord for this thread!

i am definitely going to try the fold method on my own!

just one question.. after the fold, what needs to be done to keep it in place? i obviously missed something lol

Oh thats awesome! How do you learn how to do that? I live in the bay and would love to take a class or something that taught basic sewing. Anyone have any idea?:yes:

By the way, your jeans look fabulous!

GUNG!! I'm sooo sorry for the delayed reply! I learned through the website that I provided spylove. I've always loved amateur (by hand :shame:smile: sewing so it was fun to learn this! It's really easy, feel free to PM me anytime!

omg praise the lord for this thread!

i am definitely going to try the fold method on my own!

just one question.. after the fold, what needs to be done to keep it in place? i obviously missed something lol

I iron it and it stays in place underneath the jeans until after it is washed. It tends to flip out after washing and the hem isn't as crisp but no big deal, you can always iron it again but it gets sort of tedious so I just leave it :Push: