Distance Sale

Bought a St. Louis through Distance via SF about 5 weeks ago. Was asked to pay the "premium shipping" fee in lieu of tax, which included ground shipping and the estimated collected tax which was set as the local tax rate in CA. It appears others have written of this in the past months. Is this the new situation for the brand? Can anyone speak to the validity of this? Incidentally, I could have had it shipped to a tax free state, but suspect they would have done the same. What could anyone say of this in particular? Just trying to think back on the whole purchase process. On one hand, I'd have to travel to a boutique and spend money to do that, but the premium seems like more of their premium than a "premium shipping" experience.
Would love to know other people's experiences with this and/or the explanation or how legitimate this is.
Yes, this "premium shipping" seems to have started this year around March/April. It is frustrating as in many cases the sales tax and in your case a state without sales tax would be less. I don't like what they have implemented. The ground shipping was $30. I went back to all my prior purchases and see the January one was $30 shipping and the May purchase went up to this "premium shipping" which is calculated based on the price of the item. It really seems like some hidden tax. They should just be charging tax but guess they don't want to report it as tax. Maybe someone on this board who is a corporate tax accountant can explain what they are doing.

I’ve never bought anything from Goyard. I do not live near a boutique so that deterred me from shopping w them as I thought it was a lengthy process. I’m pleased to say my distance sale experience was pleasant. I called the SF store and completed my transaction within a few hours. SA Giles was quick to respond. For reference I purchased the Saint Louis PM in grey. The price was $1805.55 (tax and shipping included and I live in CA.)

Thank you. As I understand it, many states now require merchants with no store in the state to collect the sales tax for distance sales and pay it to the state to which they are shipping. That is the "premium" that people are referring to. It is just a state's way of collecting sales tax revenue they were previously missing out on, but I don't know how many merchants actually cooperate with it or how it is enforced.
Thank you. As I understand it, many states now require merchants with no store in the state to collect the sales tax for distance sales and pay it to the state to which they are shipping. That is the "premium" that people are referring to. It is just a state's way of collecting sales tax revenue they were previously missing out on, but I don't know how many merchants actually cooperate with it or how it is enforced.
If your SA told you that the Premium Fee was offsetting sales tax, that was patently a lie.

My SA at the Chicago boutique in NM told me that the premium fee was offsetting sales tax on my $75k in purchases this year. I confirmed with my state’s department of revenue that no sales tax was remitted. That leaves me owing another x% in use tax in my state since sales tax wasn’t collected.

I actually tried disputing just the fee with American Express, and my SA edited the order forms I signed to remove “to offset sales tax” from my orders.

Anyone know if they no longer send the invoice for the distance sale? The SA states they process the card manually now. I just want to be sure before I give him my card details since I reached out to him directly.
My SA provided me an invoice for all but one order I placed this year. They are supposed to take the card number over the phone, but my SA saved my card number and would charge it after I returned the invoice.

Hi was it this email address you used for a quick response? [email protected]
I had been trying to do the form through the website but no reply yet.
I used the form in their website, but that’s the email address they used to get back to me and for all further communication. When I first filled in the form, I indicated what bag I was interested in and in which colour, size etc. and also my location to let them know I have no boutique near me. I also asked for the price and shipping costs and how payment was done to make it clear that I was really interested in buying. Hope this helps!

Reactions: Weeles
I used the form in their website, but that’s the email address they used to get back to me and for all further communication. When I first filled in the form, I indicated what bag I was interested in and in which colour, size etc. and also my location to let them know I have no boutique near me. I also asked for the price and shipping costs and how payment was done to make it clear that I was really interested in buying. Hope this helps!
Thank you so much for your reply.

I live in Hawaii and was able to do a distance sale from the SF boutique. I was referred to a specific SA from my boss and I have been communicating with her via text. I was sent the order form and provided my credit card info over the phone and I see the charge on my cc account however this was 3 days ago and have not had any communication back or any updates regarding my order? I am starting to worry because I know they only do store credit and no refunds. I was told the bag was going to be available the same day as my transaction but another client beat me to it and now it’s just a waiting game. Should I have known, I wouldn’t have charged my card until I know a bag is available. I’m getting a bit frustrated and worrisome because I tried calling their store with no answer and the SA said she’ll get back to me in a few minutes but I haven’t heard her from since. I don’t want to be annoying and constantly text her but I just want to know whether the bag I requested is available. Has anyone ever have issues with distant sales? What were your experience like? Many of my friends and other ppl I know have done distant sales to Hawaii with no issue.

Hi everyone, I looked through the forums and found conflicting responses, but would I be able to do a distance sale from Canada? I read some posts that said that some stores do not ship to Canada. In that case, will sending one of the stores a direct email work better than doing the online form? I would appreciate the help!

Hi everyone, I looked through the forums and found conflicting responses, but would I be able to do a distance sale from Canada? I read some posts that said that some stores do not ship to Canada. In that case, will sending one of the stores a direct email work better than doing the online form? I would appreciate the help!
The Neiman Marcus Chicago Goyard boutique has previously shipped to Canada.

I already asked the following in the "Goyard London" thread with no luck so I am hoping that posting the same question here I may get lucky...
I am looking to buy a Varenne from the London boutique. I live in London but I will be moving to Australia in the near future,so no Goyard there . I have been to the boutique a couple of times in the last few months when I was passing by but they didn't have any Varenne in stock. Does anyone know if it is possible to do a "distance sale" in the same city where they have a boutique? I don't have the time to keep travelling to Mount Street , queue however long and then get told that what I want is not in stock ...

I already asked the following in the "Goyard London" thread with no luck so I am hoping that posting the same question here I may get lucky...
I am looking to buy a Varenne from the London boutique. I live in London but I will be moving to Australia in the near future,so no Goyard there . I have been to the boutique a couple of times in the last few months when I was passing by but they didn't have any Varenne in stock. Does anyone know if it is possible to do a "distance sale" in the same city where they have a boutique? I don't have the time to keep travelling to Mount Street , queue however long and then get told that what I want is not in stock ...
Without fully knowing the protocol of the London boutique, I don’t understand why they have not offered to order the Varenne for you. In the U.S., if a piece is not readily available, it can be requested from another boutique. In some instances, the SA can place an order directly with Carcassonne. Do the SAs know that you’re local? Perhaps Brexit makes transfers more difficult and/or costly, but it’s worth the discussion.

Without fully knowing the protocol of the London boutique, I don’t understand why they have not offered to order the Varenne for you. In the U.S., if a piece is not readily available, it can be requested from another boutique. In some instances, the SA can place an order directly with Carcassonne. Do the SAs know that you’re local? Perhaps Brexit makes transfers more difficult and/or costly, but it’s worth the discussion.
No offer was made , she just said to keep popping by to check if it was in stock :annoyed:
I may try my luck filling up a "distant sale" online form...One thing is for sure ,their service is not great!

Reactions: c18027
The Chicago Godard store wanted to charge me $60 for shipping a SLG, I told them I'll just pick it up next time I'm in town. I'm surprised there isn't complimentary shipping on any order like other high-end retailers.

Reactions: sihetho
Does anyone have a good contact for the Dallas store For a distance sale? I filled out the distance sale form out on the goyard site days ago but haven’t received a response. Thank you in advance!
Hi. I'm new here and came across with the goyard forum. I did contact the Goyard Boutique in Dallas via email 2 days ago and haven't received any response. I am looking for a Goyard Artois MM white color.