Did you stop buying/using contemporary bags once you go luxury?

I didn't stop using, but I did stop buying with one exception. It wasn't for any other reason other than I knew that I could save that money towards a luxury bag I wanted instead.

I do still buy Loungefly things every now and then though because I can't pass up Star Wars or Marvel goods of any variety and I think they are great quality for the price and considering the materials.

Nope. I love my Launer and Hermes bags, but none of them are a day-to-day bag for me. Still love and purchase Kate Spade and bags from local artisans.

In fact, when it comes to "man bags", owning lux bags just compelled me to stick to contemporary, lesser known designers. My bags from Filson, Stickman Leather(local artisan) and(soon-to-be) Frank Clegg work far better, and in some cases, look nicer, than bags I tried and quickly got rid of from LV and Prada.

LOL. I am almost 40 and most of my bags are premier.

Anyway, I took the MJ backpack out today because it was raining and I didn’t want to use my neverfull, which is my usual diaper bag. This MJ bag fits most of my daughter’s diapering essentials, a mini pochette, the round coin purse and the agenda pm.

It’s cute and there is nothing wrong with it. I should probably get the Palm Springs next but I really have my heart set on a Prada Inside bag. I’ll probably end up getting the Prada and continue to obsess over the Palm Springs! [emoji23]

View attachment 4057248
WHAT a cute backpack- I love it!!!

I like using my contemporary bags (I feel they are less precious) and have stowed away my luxury ones. I always keep an eye out for luxury bags because of their beautiful colorways, or their detailing/higher end hardware but with the steady price increases I hope for more companies to fill that market in between.

I like the materials I'm seeing so far on Mansur Gavriel, Salar, Danse Lente, A.P.C., Sacai, etc, but the shapes are either too minimlistic, or too out-there.
I think I have the opposite taste- I love simplicity and amazing design. I constantly go back/forth on this- for me, it just depends on the bags' design, function, and my needs for the day. Often I find myself wishing a certain bag were better-constructed (made with better quality materials), or not as 'precious' (wish it were one notch down so I wouldn't feel the need
to babysit it).

I agree, most of the higher quality but not lux brands are too plain. It is hard to find the combo of high quality and high design in a mid tier brand. There are some options but not many.

And I know they are all knock-offs, but at least Michael Kors gives people a high end design option at a lower price point.

Totally agree with you. I’m kind of sick of bags that are too “precious” to use much (Balenciaga, Prada, Gucci, etc.) Got a new Coach Rogue and its awesome. Really nice but not too precious to use and amazing quality.
I just LOOOOVE the Rogues. They are the ONE bag I have crazy multiples of. (Imo, they keep coming out w completely different ones!)

Okay, lets take Tara Zadah. I looked at her website and some bags on Nordstroms. Her bags are elementary shapes - circles and squares. Compare that to this Givenchy that has multiple shapes going on - and shapes that are a little more interesting than literal circles and squares.
12904217_13179533_480.jpg
So true. I'm a fan of simplicity, but the lines and sleek design of the Giv pictured is just gorgeous, and completely just beautiful.

Once I started with luxury bags, I slowly stopped purchasing contemporary. I’m sad to say, that I have become a bag snob. I’m not proud of it. But only when it comes to me. I couldn’t care less what other people carry and no jugement on my part.

I’ve built a nice collection over the years, that consists of mostly LV and CHANEL. I also have Gucci, Burberry, Valentino, Fendi... but when I go shopping and see a cute contemporary bag, I know that if I buy it, I’ll never end up carrying it because I have all my other bags that I rather get some mileage from.

I also am the type of person to carry a premier bag all the time, no matter what I’m doing. Life is too short and I rather enjoy and use what I have whenever I can!

No, not really. I still need the thrown around bags for the playgrounds, when I’m traveling, and beach time. I’m with my kids all the times, and currently operating mainly without much help when I’m in the new country so contemporary brands work for me as well. I don’t discriminate :lol:

Reactions: Shelby33 and Pagan
I haven’t bought from a contemporary brand in I don’t know how long, and no longer own any. I think it’s difficult to go back. Sometimes I look (doesn’t everyone?!) but I’d rather wear something I already own. A few months ago though, I bought a bag from a local maker. The leather on it is so thick I couldn’t resist, and it’s a really useful crossbody style. I love that’s it’s all handmade and hand stitched, and being able to see his workshop. This is now my allweather bag option - I think it’ll outlive me :lol:
84C0D049-BEEE-4213-BBD8-F1D78F595C1C.jpeg

Simple answer: no.

Long answer:
For the past months I have mainly been carrying my one Kipling crossbody bag so it isn't even contemporary. lol And I love it. This is mostly out of sheer laziness to switch out of it as it is my little workbag. Most of my premiere bags have been in the closet and haven't seen the light of day in ages. If I am going to get a new bag (which probably won't be the case as I still have a ton of renovations and furniture due to the flood from summer 2017) it may be an all leather made in Canada Roots bag.