Confidence in Clemence

I'm so glad to see so many awesome members chime in here! I honestly have been very happy with this leather. While it looks well-cared for, I really don't go to any great lengths. However, I almost always keep the straps closed and I always keep a white tshirt on the bottom of the inside. After all the heavy use, the only genunive issues I see are color wear on the corners (easily fixed) and a touch (1/2"?) of fraying to the edge of the strap on a part usually located on the inside of the bag, at the back. I did clean her out and up yesterday and she's ready to go:

Straps open - the front handles do go forward a bit, I suppose

View attachment 3321854

Closed the way I usually carry it

View attachment 3321855

It just seems to me that people worry about Clemence. I can tell you, it doesn't scratch like Vache Liegèe! It's easily repaired unlike Epsom! No veins! Rain, snow, sleet, it's FINE!!! For some people the weight may be an issue, but I like to think of it more as "passive weightlifting". Tones my arms!!! [emoji38]

Your B is gorgeous BBC!!!! I'm looking to add a Rouge H B to my collection hopefully soon: just like yours, with gold H/W, the epitome of Hermès chic IMO!

I don't find Clemence any heavier than Togo, they're about the same. I love the bigger grain compared to the small grain of Togo and the fact that there's almost never any veining on Clemence.

I got caught in a downpour a few years ago with one of my C Birkins, I had no umbrella so I kept it squashed against me trying to protect it as much as possible, but it got soaked. When I got home I emptied it, put it in a room away from the radiator and just left it to dry. After a couple of days it was as good as new, no damage whatsoever!!!!!

I'm so glad to see so many awesome members chime in here! I honestly have been very happy with this leather. While it looks well-cared for, I really don't go to any great lengths. However, I almost always keep the straps closed and I always keep a white tshirt on the bottom of the inside. After all the heavy use, the only genunive issues I see are color wear on the corners (easily fixed) and a touch (1/2"?) of fraying to the edge of the strap on a part usually located on the inside of the bag, at the back. I did clean her out and up yesterday and she's ready to go:

View attachment 3321854

View attachment 3321855

It just seems to me that people worry about Clemence. I can tell you, it doesn't scratch like Vache Liegèe! It's easily repaired unlike Epsom! No veins! Rain, snow, sleet, it's FINE!!! For some people the weight may be an issue, but I like to think of it more as "passive weightlifting". Tones my arms!!! [emoji38]

GORGEOUS BAG!
I own several Birkin and Kelly in clemence and togo and I've never fully understood why many who love the togo find the clemence so different! In some of my bag it's very difficult to catch the difference. I once tried to weight the same size bags and none had the same weight, but really speaking about difference of 20 to 100 grams. To feel the difference we have to change into epsom, box, or exotic. As already mentioned by other forum members, the colors are often most beautiful in clemence (other than black, for my taste that I prefer in togo). Also in my experience not always my togo bags are more rigid than the clemence one. My slouchiest bag is a B 35 togo (perhaps because the most used one) but clemence for sure (especially when new) is softer in touch. To be true the latest bag I bought in togo (2015-2016) I've felt that the skin was a bit thinner and more rigid than the oldest bought before. Sorry for my bad english:lol: and W CLEMENCE and TOGO

View attachment 3321854

View attachment 3321855

Thanks for all the useful insight. I have been wary of Clemence after having read a couple of articles in blogs on the different leather types +ves and -ves and a big worry for me was when they claimed Clemence was prone to blistering if you get it wet which as I live in the UK and we get lots of rain would not be a good choice for me! I feel more confident now to be more open to purchasing in Clemence - anything that widens our options can only be a good thing when trying to secure an elusive bag in our preferred colours, lol. I really like ********'s Plomb, I am looking for a black B35, I was pretty certain I only wanted Togo and GHW, recently started considering maybe PHW would be OK too, now I have another leather option which should make things easier finding one - I hope! Thanks again.

My most recent B is clemence. I purchased from FSH in January. I had lengthy discussions with the H team while there and clemence and chèvre are the favorited leathers by many H aficionados now. Togo has changed with the passing of years so many are moving to clemence. There is a lustre and creaminess to the leather that togo does not have.
Hermes Plomb B35

Lovely, never considered Plomb before, looks very classy, I really like it!

Thanks for all the useful insight. I have been wary of Clemence after having read a couple of articles in blogs on the different leather types +ves and -ves and a big worry for me was when they claimed Clemence was prone to blistering if you get it wet which as I live in the UK and we get lots of rain would not be a good choice for me! I feel more confident now to be more open to purchasing in Clemence - anything that widens our options can only be a good thing when trying to secure an elusive bag in our preferred colours, lol. I really like ********'s Plomb, I am looking for a black B35, I was pretty certain I only wanted Togo and GHW, recently started considering maybe PHW would be OK too, now I have another leather option which should make things easier finding one - I hope! Thanks again.

Wow - huge error on those blogs. It's Epsom that's prone to blistering when it gets wet. I had a Kelly Wallet that just sucked up water like a sponge and puff out whenever a drop got on it. Clemence can be left out in a rainstorm and dried off with a towel and you'd be good to go.

The decision to purchase a B or K is a big one - it's expensive, so you want to be sure that you love what you get. Unfortunately, sometimes we don't know what to get, or we just take what is offered.

I'm always reading questions- is this ok? Is that ok? - especially regarding the leathers. We all have opinions, and at this point I have enough experience with the various leathers to able to share some of them.

The two leathers that I feel are the most frequently questioned are Epsom and Clemence (aka Taurillon Clemence) Epsom is light, it's structured, but it can't really be fixed like the others. Clemence is very similar to Togo, but it's heavy and prone to slouching. Or is it? Many are worried that the Clemence bags they baby will just slouch and flop and look like a mess. I'm here to ease your fears!!!

I have had this Rouge H 35cm Birkin for three years. Used it almost daily. Yes, it's heavy, but I stuff it. Sometimes even overstuff it. I'm careful, but I don't baby it. I use and enjoy it. It almost never goes back in the box. And it's never seen an insert. Why'd don't you check it out:

View attachment 3319992

See any issues? Neither do I. Maybe a bit of slouch on the sides, which would disappear if I added an insert. But, you know...not bad for a bag that has been enjoyed. All I really see it needing is a spa for the corners and maybe a bit on the resin.

Hi BBC, I couldn't agree with you more...Clemence is a gorgeous leather ....and this combo...heavenly. I have your bag's baby sis...she is the same combo but in a b30.. And my sister has this combo in a k28...a stunning little Kelly! Rouge H in Clemence is such a rich red without the brown undertones it has in other leathers. I was happy to get this bag and it was completely unexpected for me as it was offered as a replacement for a PHW Togo vermillion b30 that turned out to be a stinker.

Enjoy your B, she is gorgeous!:smile:

Wow - huge error on those blogs. It's Epsom that's prone to blistering when it gets wet. I had a Kelly Wallet that just sucked up water like a sponge and puff out whenever a drop got on it. Clemence can be left out in a rainstorm and dried off with a towel and you'd be good to go.

Clemence does not blister in water. Epsom and box - different question.

I have told this story before, but I have a Clemence bag that was completely soaked through from a galley flood in an airplane. By soaked, I mean drenched, everything in it was wet, it was literally dripping. Even after blotting it with towels, the bag was dripping as I went through customs. (Yes, the whole experience was upsetting.)
The bag dried out at my hotel. Now, given, this was a black bag, but still there is no trace of water marking or damage to the bag. It still looks great today.

I can't think of a blog out there that discusses H in any depth with accuracy in any way close to tPF, excepting Aesthetic Alterations and Feather Factor, both active forum members.

I have bags in many different leathers, clemence, Togo, Epsom, swift, evercolor, fjord, box and exotic. Maybe call me naive but there isn't one leather I don't really dislike. Yes, they all have their pros and cons but I love them and accept them all for what they are, beautiful Hermes bags.

Clemence is amazing and so durable and so versatile.

While I know this thread is about clemence I wanted to chime in about Epsom since it was mentioned. I know many are not fans but it also has its advantages. I have told this story before so pardon me for telling it again. My friend had a Black Epsom Constance 24 I helped her get from the boutique. Within two weeks of owning the bag she finally used it for a social dinner with friends. While she was using the ladies room she left her bag at the table with her (close) friends. The waiter comes by and proceeds to spill and entire bottle of red wine directly on top of the bag. What strange bad luck. Her friends, knowing the value of her bag, immediately proceeded to dry off the bag and took great care of it. After drying, the bag survived and was as good as new. Crisis averted. Originally my friend wanted the classic black box leather but beggars not be choosers for a Constance. In the end, thank goodness for epsom because the box may have been a goner.

I'm so glad to hear all this great feedback for Clemence. Perhaps purseblog needs to revise their article "The Ultimate Guide to Hermès Leathers" where they state "Clemence, one of Hermès's most popular leathers, is made from the hides of baby bulls. It's matte, flat-grained, soft and heavy, which gives otherwise structured bags a slouchier, more casual look. Resistant to scratches, but may blister when exposed to rain".

So glad to have actual feedback from Clemence owners to advise that this is not the case.