Comparing leather by Year and Season (best, worst, characteristics)

What is THE Best Overall Year for Balenciaga Bags?

Results are only viewable after voting.
MichK- that's good to hear, b/c I am the high bidder on an '05 bag and I was starting to panic that the handles were going to be too short. I really want to be able to wear the bag on my shoulder, so I can carry my daughter while wearing it. Phew!!

My 05 Work has broken in so well that, when I carry her on my shoulder, I can't even feel the bag. And I carry my baby while the Work is on my shoulder - no problems! On the other hand, I've tried an 07 and an 09 Work at the store, and they were so uncomfortable. They were too snug and I couldn't keep them on my shoulder. I'd take my 05 any day!

So, if your 05 is brand new and you think she's too snug, give her time to break in. She'll be an absolute dream soon!

Here are some comparison pics. My 05 Work (Black) is on top and my 07 Work (Vert Fonce) is below it. Both bags have exactly the same handle drop.

VertFonceWork29.jpg

As far as I know agneau was used for some of the collection bags in f/w 07. Those colours include vert foncé, violet and jaune. The pre-collection colours are all chevre, as far as I know (and this includes plomb). So far I have not come across or heard of a plomb bag made of agneau.

can anyone give insight into 07 s/s leather vs 07 f/w leather? Are the blacks from either season more prone to turning green or fading? Is one season generally considered thicker/more desirable than the other? Thanks

s/s 07 are prone to turning green. But I've also had a f/w 07 bag that started to turn green. And I've heard of some 06 black bags turning green where the leather was rubbed and more exposed (mine haven't). I guess it depends on the leather used, some types of leather are more prone to fading.

MichK, nice vf! Please introduce her.

As far as I know agneau was used for some of the collection bags in f/w 07. Those colours include vert foncé, violet and jaune. The pre-collection colours are all chevre, as far as I know (and this includes plomb). So far I have not come across or heard of a plomb bag made of agneau.

Yeah, that's what I thought too - until I came across a tPFer who said her Plomb Step was made of agneau!

Will introduce my VF soon, drati, once I have some time to take pics of her ;)

Hi all,

I just ran into a friend who purchased a Officier (blue-black) color of the City (I think... or could have been some other size)... and noticed that the leather was much thinner and shinier than I used to seeing at department stores from earlier years.

It looked really flimsy (it was new) and so shiny that it almost looked plastic-ky. Is this generally the consensus? The friend told me it was authentic... but I thought it looked a bit suspicious...

If I want to purchase thicker and dull-looking leather, which year model should I be looking for? I don't want to buy a used bag though... where could I get one that's new bag that has thicker and less shiny leather?

Thanks in advance!

Bal leather varies. You will find that some are thicker, shinier, thinner, softer, etc. I have seen some that have leather that appears plastic-y, so it is definitely possible that your friends is real.

Also, a lot of times the shine will fade with use.

Bal leather varies. You will find that some are thicker, shinier, thinner, softer, etc. I have seen some that have leather that appears plastic-y, so it is definitely possible that your friends is real.

Also, a lot of times the shine will fade with use.

Thanks for quick response. I actually really liked my friend's officier bag in terms of the size and color (gorgeous blue-black... almost navy), but I didn't like the quality as much. Bags I saw at Neiman Marcus (or it could've been Barney's... can't remember) it was burgundy color and had super thick leather... but it was cracking... quite a bit. it almost looked as if I rubbed it with a bit of force, the leather would shave off a bit ^^

The new officer bag looks to be much shinier, thinner and less "cracked"... with some sort of coating applied to the leather. It still had some parts where you can see the "fading" of color where it looks more blue. Hard to describe in words ^^ I will probably not be buying this model due to the reasons above... it's a shame since it's such a pretty color.

Hi all,

I just ran into a friend who purchased a Officier (blue-black) color of the City (I think... or could have been some other size)... and noticed that the leather was much thinner and shinier than I used to seeing at department stores from earlier years.

It looked really flimsy (it was new) and so shiny that it almost looked plastic-ky. Is this generally the consensus? The friend told me it was authentic... but I thought it looked a bit suspicious...

If I want to purchase thicker and dull-looking leather, which year model should I be looking for? I don't want to buy a used bag though... where could I get one that's new bag that has thicker and less shiny leather?

Thanks in advance!

Hi! I bought an Officier GGH Day in Australia: it is definitely thinner and shinier than my Sky Blue Day, and it's a lot like my Anthracite GGH Work. I don't know if it is Chevre or Agneau either, but both bags are definitely authentic.

Not too many people like this type of leather. However, I'm partial to this super-thin leather as it makes the bags ultra-light, especially with the Giant Hardware.

I think the leathers vary from bag to bag even within the same style within the same season: I bought a Black Pom with the matte, waxy, tough strong leather you prefer, and another lady bought the Officier Pom in the same season - but the latter has that super-thin, almost papery texture again.

I think every animal our bags comes from is different, like we are, and the leather has been treated minimally to retain as much of its original characteristics/texture.

I tried to post in the reference section but couldn't so hope this is ok! I am trying to get this straight....

2005 - probably the best leather
2006 - some of the leather is veiny (especially s/s)
2007 - the black fades to green
2008 -?
2009-?

Is the 2009 leather good? I am not very patient and will probably just end up buying new unless I can find the colors I like in the old very soon!

Reactions: chanel4evernever