Coach Returns Policy

Hi Ladies - has anyone had any recent luck returning older purchases? I bought a few wristlets 2 years ago for bridal party gifts from the factory store, but ended up changing the wedding colors and ended up getting new wristlets. However, in the shuffle, I forgot all about returning the old set and then we moved and now finally found them after spring cleaning/unpacking. I didn't think it was a big deal since they had the unlimited return policy, but now I see that's all changed! Am I SOL?
They were pretty strict about enforcing the policy when the grace period was up. If you are lucky, you might be able to get someone to give you store credit.

They were pretty strict about enforcing the policy when the grace period was up. If you are lucky, you might be able to get someone to give you store credit.

Yeah, that's pretty stinky. How would we have known about the grace period if they never told us?? I don't regularly visit their stores, and they didn't make a point in sending out updated terms and conditions to anyone who has purchased from their stores. It's so frustrating that this wouldn't be grandfathered in...my receipt doesn't say anything about 60 day return window. Well, I will attempt tomorrow and report back. UGH.

Yeah, that's pretty stinky. How would we have known about the grace period if they never told us?? I don't regularly visit their stores, and they didn't make a point in sending out updated terms and conditions to anyone who has purchased from their stores. It's so frustrating that this wouldn't be grandfathered in...my receipt doesn't say anything about 60 day return window. Well, I will attempt tomorrow and report back. UGH.

They did tell us about the change to the return policy at both the FP and the outlet before it went into effect (and I believe it was on the website). And if I remember correctly this was almost a year ago. They gave up to mid January/end of January timeframe to return "old stuff". And it was mentioned here on TPF.
Good luck.

It's shady Coach did not send out emails/letters about the new return policy. They do have all of our emails and addresses, don't they? Don't want to cause an influx of returns? Too bad! They're the one who made the change. They're fully aware not everyone shops at outlets or FP, or periodically check out their website for policy updates... so what's their excuse? I've been to the outlet 3 or 4 times last year, no one ever came talking to me about it (nor did I expect it). I guess they were relying on tPF to keep us informed (which by the way was doing a way better job, lol!). None of my local Coach-loving friends was aware. So, yeah, Coach is fully aware someone's getting screwed.

It's shady Coach did not send out emails/letters about the new return policy. They do have all of our emails and addresses, don't they? Don't want to cause an influx of returns? Too bad! They're the one who made the change. They're fully aware not everyone shops at outlets or FP, or periodically check out their website for policy updates... so what's their excuse? I've been to the outlet 3 or 4 times last year, no one ever came talking to me about it (nor did I expect it). I guess they were relying on tPF to keep us informed (which by the way was doing a way better job, lol!). None of my local Coach-loving friends was aware. So, yeah, Coach is fully aware someone's getting screwed.

Exactly! And unlike a lot of the veterans on this site, I haven't been as savvy or in-the-know about handbags until recently. I was just buying Coach whenever I saw a good deal, which was probably once a year at best. But I do have tons of promo emails from them, so at the very least, they could have emailed out a notice!

No one at my outlet has never heard of TPF. I know things before they do. :shocked:

Exactly! And unlike a lot of the veterans on this site, I haven't been as savvy or in-the-know about handbags until recently. I was just buying Coach whenever I saw a good deal, which was probably once a year at best. But I do have tons of promo emails from them, so at the very least, they could have emailed out a notice!
I remember checking the back of some of my receipts from my older purchases and it said something to the effect of the policy was subject to change without notice. As long as they weren't required legally to inform customers of the change, I'm sure they wouldn't have wanted to, because there would have been even more returns.

I regret a few of the things I returned. It was safer to return them than keep them.

Coach definitely does some crazy things but the change in their return policy is far from shady. For MONTHS before the change I was told EVERY time I made a purchase that the policy was changing. EVERY time. Because Ciach didn't notify each individual customer of the upcoming change hardly makes them shady.

Name one other retailer with a limitless return period. It was far too generous for far too long. Someone in charge of decision making finally wised up and came up with a reasonable return window.

Probably would be best to take your years old factory wristlets and sell them on eBay.

They did tell us about the change to the return policy at both the FP and the outlet before it went into effect (and I believe it was on the website). And if I remember correctly this was almost a year ago. They gave up to mid January/end of January timeframe to return "old stuff". And it was mentioned here on TPF.
Good luck.

Post #42 in this thread was the first I saw it mentioned that Coach was changing its policy. It was dated 9/11/2014. Just FYI.

Coach gave plenty of notice about their returns. It is not their responsibility to seek out every single customer they have ever had to let them know. Also, it has been on their website for some time and every time I purchased, I was told about the 60 day change. Plus, as a consumer, you can always check return policies with the company. I know I have inquired with other companies before purchasing to be sure.

Coach definitely does some crazy things but the change in their return policy is far from shady. For MONTHS before the change I was told EVERY time I made a purchase that the policy was changing. EVERY time. Because Ciach didn't notify each individual customer of the upcoming change hardly makes them shady.

Name one other retailer with a limitless return period. It was far too generous for far too long. Someone in charge of decision making finally wised up and came up with a reasonable return window.

Probably would be best to take your years old factory wristlets and sell them on eBay.

Coach gave plenty of notice about their returns. It is not their responsibility to seek out every single customer they have ever had to let them know. Also, it has been on their website for some time and every time I purchased, I was told about the 60 day change. Plus, as a consumer, you can always check return policies with the company. I know I have inquired with other companies before purchasing to be sure.

Ditto.

By the way no retailer contacts every customer who ever made a purchase once a policy change goes into effect for returns or repairs, etc.

Most retailers say you have 30 days to return. Look at MK or LV, etc. coach now allows 60 days instead of unlimited and that is fair IMO. If someone doesn't use something in that time then I wonder why buy it personally (I'm talking purses and accessories for yourself)

I feel worse about the warranty. If you buy something because it is guaranteed forever and then they change it to one year and make it retroactive, that seems like breach of promise. However, people were probably abusing the policy; buying broken items on ebay really cheap and then sending it in for repair.

I feel worse about the warranty. If you buy something because it is guaranteed forever and then they change it to one year and make it retroactive, that seems like breach of promise. However, people were probably abusing the policy; buying broken items on ebay really cheap and then sending it in for repair.

Exactly about the abusing part! This policy was also more generous than other brands and now is more in line with them. If people didn't take advantage we would not have seen so many changes

That was what I was seeing in local Craigslist type ads, people selling bags and accessories in need of repair and telling potential buyers to send it in to Coach.

Along the lines of guaranteed forever, some people took that to the extreme, such as accidentally damaging their items (ink stains, sunscreen oils, spilling a drink all over it, etc) and expected Coach to replace the items for free. Um, sorry, that's your fault, not Coach's. Chalk it up as a learning experience! I have a feeling that a lot of people taking advantage of the very generous warranty caused the rest of us who genuinely appreciated it and used it correctly to lose out in the long run. Just my opinion.