Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
A coachie just asked for advice about different condtioners so I am copying my response here for future reference:

Leather CPR is my favorite general purpose moisturizer/conditioner. It is inexpensive, readily available, does a good job and doesn't have any odor. I usually put a couple of applications on most of my rehabs.

Apple is similar but it has an odor (it fades with time) and it is difficult to find, but it works okay.

I use Lexol conditioner on textured, pebbled or delicate leather bags (not suede or patent) or when I am am doing a quick, maintainence procedure before putting a leather bag into storage. It also has an odor but it fades over time.

(Lexol leather cleaner is a good product to clean bags for maintainance or in cases when you don't want to give the bag a bag a bath. You can also use non-bleach Lysol wipes to wipe down a bag inside and out for cleaning. And I have heard that non-alcohol baby wipes are also good for cleaning.)

When leather bags are very dry I use leather therapy and/or refined 100% pure emu oil. Emu oil is odorless but leather therapy has a persistent odor - but it is not unpleasant and it can help hide the smell of a musty, older bag.

Blackrocks is heavy duty but it is a great finishing step on scuffed, faded, worn vintage bags. I use it to do one or two final treatments on a glove-tanned leather bag rehab.

I haven't used Obenauff's yet but I understand that it is great last step for waterproofing a leather bag.

I try to use all conditioners sparingly and to let the leather rest for 24 hours between applications.

This isn't a universal approach that will work for all bags, it is just what I usually use for my rehab projects. New rehabbers should post pics and ask for advice here before starting a rehab project.

Other suggestions/opinions/suggestions are welcome!

Last edited:
Reactions: fruitycake
a coachie just asked for advice about different condtioners so i am copying my response here for future reference:

Leather cpr is my favorite general purpose moisturizer/conditioner. It is inexpensive, readily available, does a good job and doesn't have any odor. I usually put a couple of applications on most of my rehabs.

Apple is similar but it has an odor (it fades with time) and it is difficult to find, but it works okay.

I use lexol conditioner on textured, pebbled or delicate leather bags (not suede or patent) or when i am am doing a quick, maintainence procedure before putting a leather bag into storage. It also has an odor but it fades over time.

When leather bags are very dry i use leather therapy and/or refined 100% pure emu oil. Emu oil is odorless but leather therapy has a persistent odor - but it is not unpleasant and it can help hide the smell of a musty, older bag.

Blackrocks is heavy duty but it is a great finishing step on scuffed, faded, worn vintage bags. I use it to do one or two final treatments on a glove-tanned leather bag rehab.

I haven't used obenauff's yet but i understand that it is great last step for waterproofing a leather bag.

I try to use all conditioners sparingly and to let the leather rest for 24 hours between applications.

This isn't a universal approach that will work for all bags, it is just what i usually do with my rehab projects. New rehabbers should post pics and ask for advice here before starting a rehab project.

Other suggestions/opinions are welcome!

thank you thank you thank you

I just got a Willis vintage coach, black leather off ebay. It was only $29 and I have wanted this bag forever! Anyhow, I cleaned it. It had dry faded corners and just cleaning it has improved it so much that I want to just carry it around staring at it!

The only problem it has now is the fastener at the front, where it latches with that turn button. The faceplate there looks scratched. It seems like underneather there is a warm brass. But I think it is painted on top. So I think I need to remove the paint.

How do I do that?

One place said baking soda?

Help me rehabbers!

I just got a Willis vintage coach, black leather off ebay. It was only $29 and I have wanted this bag forever! Anyhow, I cleaned it. It had dry faded corners and just cleaning it has improved it so much that I want to just carry it around staring at it!

The only problem it has now is the fastener at the front, where it latches with that turn button. The faceplate there looks scratched. It seems like underneather there is a warm brass. But I think it is painted on top. So I think I need to remove the paint.

How do I do that?

Help me rehabbers!
can you show a photo? It's hard to say what it is without one.. may be tarnish etc. Congrats on a wonderful bag!! Great price too!!

How do I do that?

Help me rehabbers!

can you show a photo? It's hard to say what it is without one.. may be tarnish etc. Congrats on a wonderful bag!! Great price too!!

I agree, it sounds like tarnish. Just shining it up with brasso or wenol or wright's should help a lot. We would love to see the pictures!

Just got a 1996 equestrian zip in black leather authenticated here. It was 6.49 at goodwill and I was surprised at such a good price. My previous favorite before this was Pyrex and all of that is overpriced at GW in my area. I was so happy that I had learned enough from TPF to read the creed and have a pretty good guess as to its origin.

Drip drying at home now - it must have held a gallon of water with nary a drip! That's tight sewing. I found a little piece of paper in it that had a dog walker ad listed. I am glad I might be able to rehab it with what I've learned here!

My City Bag rehab is going great - I think this one was in the best shape of the few rehabs I've done so far. Can't wait to start carrying it.

One thing I was hoping to get some input on...the leather tab that holds the strap to the bag - on one side that tab is stretched and floppy. It's not torn and no loose threads, just...stretched. Should I attempt to do something to reinforce it? If so, any suggestions? Here's a pic - not sure if it shows what I'm trying to say:

Attachments

• image-997501403.jpg
    image-997501403.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 421
Just got a 1996 equestrian zip in black leather authenticated here. It was 6.49 at goodwill and I was surprised at such a good price. My previous favorite before this was Pyrex and all of that is overpriced at GW in my area. I was so happy that I had learned enough from TPF to read the creed and have a pretty good guess as to its origin.

Drip drying at home now - it must have held a gallon of water with nary a drip! That's tight sewing. I found a little piece of paper in it that had a dog walker ad listed. I am glad I might be able to rehab it with what I've learned here!

Good for you! I hope you post pictures of your rehab here for us to enjoy, good luck!

My City Bag rehab is going great - I think this one was in the best shape of the few rehabs I've done so far. Can't wait to start carrying it.

One thing I was hoping to get some input on...the leather tab that holds the strap to the bag - on one side that tab is stretched and floppy. It's not torn and no loose threads, just...stretched. Should I attempt to do something to reinforce it? If so, any suggestions? Here's a pic - not sure if it shows what I'm trying to say:

I know what you mean. I worked on a british tan city bag that had a strap connection like that. It looked kind of "stretched and twisted and chewed." I didn't have much luck with that bag overall so I don't know if my advice will be any good, but here goes.

I would rehab the bag in the usual manner giving the area lots of moisturizer. When it is dry I would take a thin, fine scissors, like a nail scissors and just trim a smidge off to get rid of the shaggy edges. Then I might try some leather-safe fabric glue on the edges to stablilize it and keep it from stretching and twisting so much in the future.

Those are just my thoughts, and I don't know if they will do any good. Hopefully someone else will be able to advise you better, good luck!

I agree, it sounds like tarnish. Just shining it up with brasso or wenol or wright's should help a lot. We would love to see the pictures!

I'll see if I can get a picture.

it's not tarnish actually. I can see the brass under the paint, the paint itself is what is scratched and worn. It's a yellow gold color, not warm like the rest of the brass.

The rest of the hardware is brass without any paint. Only the front attachment has this. I feel like lacquer thinner would remove it. But only if it were soaked there and I don't especially want to get that on the leather. It's now in really nice shape except for the attachment there!

lazlo8 said:
I'll see if I can get a picture.

it's not tarnish actually. I can see the brass under the paint, the paint itself is what is scratched and worn. It's a yellow gold color, not warm like the rest of the brass.

The rest of the hardware is brass without any paint. Only the front attachment has this. I feel like lacquer thinner would remove it. But only if it were soaked there and I don't especially want to get that on the leather. It's now in really nice shape except for the attachment there!

The turnlocks are easy to take off, you just pry the prongs up and it pops out. Then you could let it soak I whatever you want?

Yay GoStanford! I just saw your bag in the autentication thread. I would be excited, too! My Goodwill always seems to be a dead end street. Can't wait to see pictures.:biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.