Chanel GST to keep or to sell?

Hi everyone,

I am debating whether to keep or let go of this Black caviar GST Tote?
It is in very good condition and it looks sophisticated, but it is starting to look 'outdated' to me lately

I was thinking of getting the LV Petite boite chapeau in replace of this.
I know they are different style, but it is just that the LV is growing on me out of the blue.

Please feel free to share your thoughts on this, Everyone;)

Many thanks

WechatIMG117.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 9.47.51 AM.png

Is the GST originally yours or is it pre-loved?

If it’s originally yours I would perhaps keep it for sentimental reasons. You won’t be able to sell it for much anyways because it’s not currently an on-trend bag. And it does look like it’s in very good condition still! It’s the perfect bag for running errands.

If it no longer suits your needs, sell. I bought mine in the good old days when it was around $1800-1900 and loved it when I used totes, but I hadn’t worn it in recent years because it was now too big. I sold it and got back what I paid for it.

Is the GST originally yours or is it pre-loved?

If it’s originally yours I would perhaps keep it for sentimental reasons. You won’t be able to sell it for much anyways because it’s not currently an on-trend bag. And it does look like it’s in very good condition still! It’s the perfect bag for running errands.

It was originally mine, perhaps it was my first Chanel before the flaps. I got a quote for $2400 which is less then the original price. Lately, I find it classic enough to wear it one day, then I find it 'outdated' the next...Maybe it is due to the thickness of the chain?

I am in the process of getting rid of the Diorama, Celine phantoms..the trendy pieces
that's why I am looking at the Gst, not sure whether it is in the timeless or trendy category

I hesitated in selling it because it was my first Chanel and also it was such an iconic piece back in time,
on the other hand, it looks kind of 'outdated'
Just not as timeless as the flaps..

If it no longer suits your needs, sell. I bought mine in the good old days when it was around $1800-1900 and loved it when I used totes, but I hadn’t worn it in recent years because it was now too big. I sold it and got back what I paid for it.

I barely use it. I got it when it was $2900 I remember, and I just got a quote for $2400.
I dont mind the fact that I am not using it, it just seems to be 'outdated' lately to me...
As I am trying to downsize my closet to classic timeless pieces, that's why I am a bit uncertain about the GST...

They are both lovely. If you're not using the Chanel I would definitely sell to fund the LV.

I am starting to like the LV hat box lately, but I am not sure if it timeless enough to like it for a few years...
As I am trying to avoid pieces like the Diorama and the Saddle.

Do you think the LV is a trendy piece or something that will be legit for sometime?

It was originally mine, perhaps it was my first Chanel before the flaps. I got a quote for $2400 which is less then the original price. Lately, I find it classic enough to wear it one day, then I find it 'outdated' the next...Maybe it is due to the thickness of the chain?

I am in the process of getting rid of the Diorama, Celine phantoms..the trendy pieces
that's why I am looking at the Gst, not sure whether it is in the timeless or trendy category

I hesitated in selling it because it was my first Chanel and also it was such an iconic piece back in time,
on the other hand, it looks kind of 'outdated'
Just not as timeless as the flaps..
$2,400 is a great quote if you got the bag for $2,900 back in the day. This is a tough call then because I initially assumed you may have received a lowball quote. If I were in your shoes though, I would most likely still keep the bag for sentimental reasons especially if it’s my first Chanel. Like I said previously, it’s the perfect bag for running errands. As for the big chains, I don’t mind them at all. But again, the quote for your bag is pretty good and very tempting.

Keep us posted on your decision!

Hi everyone,

I am debating whether to keep or let go of this Black caviar GST Tote?
It is in very good condition and it looks sophisticated, but it is starting to look 'outdated' to me lately

I was thinking of getting the LV Petite boite chapeau in replace of this.
I know they are different style, but it is just that the LV is growing on me out of the blue.

Please feel free to share your thoughts on this, Everyone;)

Many thanks

View attachment 5255385

View attachment 5255391
Sell it and get this LV bag. The GST is too heavy and it doesn’t hold a lot. I had one, wanted it, sold it, never look back.

Reactions: blanc_noir_chic
I’d keep the GST. It has all the elements of a Chanel classic in a tote style bag. It may not be on trend today but it’s a classic tote. Also, trends are cyclical so it will come back in no time, especially since it’s been discontinued and Chanel’s starting a game on its classic flaps with its consumers so alternatives to it may increase in demand. Vintage Chanel totes pre-GST that has the same big CCs with the chain never lost value. And if you recall, several years ago the GST, the Medallion tote, and classic flaps were all in one category called “classics” in the chanel website. Plus, it’s your first Chanel bag so that’s some good fashion milestone!

I wouldn’t call the Louis Vuitton a classic but it’s a statement piece that wouldn’t lose its luster since it’s a monogram with an unusual shape. But I’d still choose the GST over the Vuitton.

Good luck on your decision:smile:

Last edited:
I would keep it especially if you see yourself wanting a Chanel tote down the line. I actually had thought about purchasing one from Fashionphile as a tote for when I need to carry a lot, ie travel or long weekends, and wanted a Chanel. I see it as a classic and was even looking at the Medallion totes. Currently, my large tote bags are a Dior Book Tote, a LV Neverful, a vintage Fendi tote, and Hermès Evelynes. Like you, been trying to curate my closet. I used to own a Chain Around Maxi (CAM), but I sold it due to me not liking the chains around the front anymore, since my style is changing, a little less edgy, more classic. The price you were offered of $2400 is pretty good since the GSTs were selling for just under that on Fashionphile, so I am pretty sure those who sold their bags there got a fraction, most likely 70%, of what you were offered. I sold my CAM for $3000 which was like new, only used a few times, and I had purchased it at retail $3800 plus tax. I also sold my Celine Micro Luggage Tote for $1300, which took me a year plus to finally decide to let go of. I see you also mentioned Dioramas, I actually kept mine which I still love and see as a classic… a gold metallic micro-cannage print.

I say keep if you see yourself wanting and/or needing a Chanel tote sometime in the future.

Last edited:
$2,400 is a great quote if you got the bag for $2,900 back in the day. This is a tough call then because I initially assumed you may have received a lowball quote. If I were in your shoes though, I would most likely still keep the bag for sentimental reasons especially if it’s my first Chanel. Like I said previously, it’s the perfect bag for running errands. As for the big chains, I don’t mind them at all. But again, the quote for your bag is pretty good and very tempting.

Keep us posted on your decision!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I totally agree the quote is not bad considering its age.;)