Celine Le 16 Bag by Hedi Slimane

I was planning on getting a medium Cabas for travel/work but this might change things... if anyone purchases the new 16 Soft, please let me know what you think of it!
It's very new so i am not sure how many people have their hands on it yet. But the grained supple leather looks so luxurious and beautiful. I like that the strap is long enough to wear on the shoulder comfortably and also that the flap can be closed securely.

There is a new version of the Celine Le 16 bag that has just been released. It’s called the Celine Le 16 Soft bag. It is a shoulder bag version and features soft supple leather.

I'm really surprised at the price difference between the soft and the original - it makes me think they realized they overpriced the Le 16 because in terms of construction, the two bags can't be that different, right? They should be priced more similarly IMOScreen Shot 2020-07-02 at 6.28.09 PM.png

I'm really surprised at the price difference between the soft and the original - it makes me think they realized they overpriced the Le 16 because in terms of construction, the two bags can't be that different, right? They should be priced more similarly IMOView attachment 4776404
Wow! Yes i agree. I think if they priced the Celine LE 16 at under $3000 US it would have sold a lot faster, it seems the high price deterred a lot of people from trying it out. I think both are really, really lovely bags. I think the new soft version is so perfect for everyday use, whilst the classic Le 16 is so chic and dressy.

Last edited:
I'm really surprised at the price difference between the soft and the original - it makes me think they realized they overpriced the Le 16 because in terms of construction, the two bags can't be that different, right? They should be priced more similarly IMOView attachment 4776404
Excellent point. I think Celine was extremely overconfident in the public's reception to Hedi's work pricing it way too high. I don't have any real numbers or research but there's still virtually no buzz on this bag. Normally it would pop up on social, return in a search, or have threads in PBF.

I've not seen this in person but from the pictures it looks like an old lady 70's bag to me. But that could be the result of my age. I grew up in the 60's/70's and saw ugly vinyl bags of similar style.

Wow! Yes i agree. I think if they priced the Celine LE 16 at under $3000 US it would have sold a lot faster, it seems the high price deterred a lot of people from trying it out. I think both are really, really lovely bags. I think the new soft version is so perfect for everyday use, whilst the classic Le 16 is so chic and dressy.

I also like the Le 16 and may have tried it out if the price wasn't so high! Maybe I'll check out the soft version when I'm able to visit a store again.

Excellent point. I think Celine was extremely overconfident in the public's reception to Hedi's work pricing it way too high. I don't have any real numbers or research but there's still virtually no buzz on this bag. Normally it would pop up on social, return in a search, or have threads in PBF.

I've not seen this in person but from the pictures it looks like an old lady 70's bag to me. But that could be the result of my age. I grew up in the 60's/70's and saw ugly vinyl bags of similar style.

I haven't seen it in person either, but I completely agree that there is no buzz for this bag at all. I feel like part of it is that many Phoebe fans were determined to dislike anything the brand did after her departure, and Celine was overconfident - not a good combination! I actually quite like the style of the bag, but it doesn't jive with the classic Celine Phoebe style to me. I'd prefer to pick up a couple of the other older styles before this one.

I saw the large soft 16 yesterday- it is a stunning bag and perfect for work and weekend. It lays like a tote (very light) but the flap and hardware really elevate the look. There is also so much room to carry things in. I am very petite and usually large totes overwhelm me (I went in for the Sangle Bucket but it overwhelmed my frame), but this bag did not at all. I did not purchase (opted for a teen classic) but keep thinking about it! I will post pictures if/when I end up going back for it!

I saw the large soft 16 yesterday- it is a stunning bag and perfect for work and weekend. It lays like a tote (very light) but the flap and hardware really elevate the look. There is also so much room to carry things in. I am very petite and usually large totes overwhelm me (I went in for the Sangle Bucket but it overwhelmed my frame), but this bag did not at all. I did not purchase (opted for a teen classic) but keep thinking about it! I will post pictures if/when I end up going back for it!
I'd love to hear more about how you felt about the soft 16 for work! Do you think it could fit a 13" laptop? Was there a zipper on top? Thanks so much ☺️

Hi there how are you liking this burgundy beauty? Could you post more pics modeling and interior if you don’t mind. Is the smooth leather holding up well?

Thanks,
Stella

I actually haven’t used it yet. It’s been sitting pretty in its dust bag. It’s supposed to be a work bag for me and I rarely go into the office right now. I’m hoping to use it a lot more in 2021. I can definitely post pics of the interior this weekend.