Cartier LOVE *Bracelet* Discussion Thread!

Hi guys, I have reading posts here for the longest time, but finally decided to share. Like many of you, I've wanted to buy a love bracelet for years. I am a guy by the way, and the bracelet was designed to be unisex. After A LOT of research, I came across a vintage one from 1969. Yes, 1969 (it's engraved). The year the bracelet was actually designed. I actually connected with the owner (who is in her 90s) and her assistant and there is actually a beautiful story to it. Frankly, I have no reason to believe it's a fake at all. Even the Cartier box itself smells that old (which to me is a good thing...love that vintage smell of objects that have had a prior life). Anyway I love that I found a piece with a story...the design is actually slightly different from the modern ones...it is slightly thinner and not as thick, which turns out I actually prefer for me. The modern design is beautiful in its own right, but I find it a little too square and "chunky" for me if that makes sense. Too blingy for me...I was afraid I'd look like a mobster with a substantial gold piece (I am Mediterranean and do have very hairy arms). Anyway, I love the story of it, the slightly different design and the fact that it is the old screw system...I've read about so many problems with the new screw...don't you guys think that things in the past were just better quality and built to last, as opposed to today? TVs, electronics all lasted decades...and now, not so much (capitalism at its finest...things do not last as much nowadays to makes us keep buying). I can't believe I am wearing a bracelet from 1969, the year Stonewall happened, the moon landing happened...and the designer Aldo Cipullo was still alive...and this is what he intended for the bracelet to look like. What do you think??? P.S.: Sorry about the long post...I have nobody to share my excitement with. My partner is sick of hearing me talk about it! :lol:

View attachment 4915037

View attachment 4915038

View attachment 4915039
CONGRATULATIONS! And thank you for sharing! I am a fan of vintage and I can only hope that someone will want to wear my Loves, with love, when I no longer can.

Congratulations and I’m so jealous of your 1969 piece!!! I bought my first two love bracelets with the new screw system and they have been giving me grief ever since. One fell off my wrist at home and I have to constantly check that they’re tight. Want to trade them for the old screw system!
Put a little Loctite on the screws and you'll have no more problems with loose screws! My wife has two Loves with different variations of the old system and they come loose too.

Wow that is good to know, thank you! Can she still remove the bracelets with the loctite? And which version did she use?
Yes, the screws still come out with no problem, it just takes a little torque and a larger jewelers screwdriver. Part of the problem causing the loose screw issue is that you can't get them tight enough with the Cartier screwdriver. It's sexy but useless! We put Loctite on all Loves here, old or new system. I believe it's Purple Loctite that I use, but double check before you get it. For sure don't use Red or Blue or the screws won't come out...ever!

It's just not worth the hassle of checking the screws all the time and/or worrying about your precious bracelet falling off. Many will say you shouldn't have to use Loctite, and maybe you shouldn't, but I consider it insurance.

Last edited:
Congratulations and I’m so jealous of your 1969 piece!!! I bought my first two love bracelets with the new screw system and they have been giving me grief ever since. One fell off my wrist at home and I have to constantly check that they’re tight. Want to trade them for the old screw system!
I am so sorry you are having trouble with your Loves. Did you buy them at Cartier or were they pre-owned? I went the pre-owned route because I am not rich by any stretch of the imagination and saving $1500 or more for pre-owned is a big deal for me. I was super scared to buy a pre-owned with the new screw system...because honestly, there is no way to know the condition of new screw mechanism with a pre-owned. What if you end up buying a faulty one? I have no clue why Cartier changed the screw system...I get that people would lose the screws. Things happen, but wouldn't you think to be extra careful when you pay thousands of dollars for something? I know some people have no issues, but I've heard so many horror stories with the new system. And I have even seen people selling half of the bracelet (yes, half), online, and they were all the new screw system...makes you wonder doesn't it? I don't think too many people were using Loctite in the past to be honest. I do think the old ones were just made better. And with the new ones, you are supposed to put them on in a very specific way...I don't know, but switching to the new system was a big miss for Cartier imo. I've heard of the purple Loctite "trick" too, but make sure you research. Or take them to Cartier if you bought them there. I watched a video of a woman who had to exchange her Love three times! :amazed: Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited:
Yes, the screws still come out with no problem, it just takes a little torque and a larger jewelers screwdriver. Part of the problem causing the loose screw issue is that you can't get them tight enough with the Cartier screwdriver. It's sexy but useless! We put Loctite on all Loves here, old or new system. I believe it's Purple Loctite that I use, but double check before you get it. For sure don't use Red or Blue or the screws won't come out...ever!

It's just not worth the hassle of checking the screws all the time and/or worrying about your precious bracelet falling off. Many will say you shouldn't have to use Loctite, and maybe you shouldn't, but I consider it insurance.

Speaking of a better screwdriver, you are right on that also. I noticed when I went to get my engraving done, the Service Advisor used a steel screwdriver of sorts, more like a tool, probably more similar to what you are describing. I should have asked him on the spot the info on it, etc!

I’ll have to make a note and ask him when he contacts me on my engraving update, and if I get the info on it, I’ll post here for everyone.

That would be great, I’ll need that screwdriver!
Speaking of a better screwdriver, you are right on that also. I noticed when I went to get my engraving done, the Service Advisor used a steel screwdriver of sorts, more like a tool, probably more similar to what you are describing. I should have asked him on the spot the info on it, etc!

I’ll have to make a note and ask him when he contacts me on my engraving update, and if I get the info on it, I’ll post here for everyone.

Reactions: Chaton
I got mine from the boutique and already had to switch out one of them for a new one. I also got the screws replaced on the other one and haven’t worn it yet. The associate said I’ll need to keep checking on the screws for the life of the bracelets...

I am so sorry you are having trouble with your Loves. Did you buy them at Cartier or were they pre-owned? I went the pre-owned route because I am not rich by any stretch of the imagination and saving $1500 or more for pre-owned is a big deal for me. I was super scared to buy a pre-owned with the new screw system...because honestly, there is no way to know the condition of new screw mechanism with a pre-owned. What if you end up buying a faulty one? I have no clue why Cartier changed the screw system...I get that people would lose the screws. Things happen, but wouldn't you think to be extra careful when you pay thousands of dollars for something? I know some people have no issues, but I've heard so many horror stories with the new system. And I have even seen people selling half of the bracelet (yes, half), online, and they were all the new screw system...makes you wonder doesn't it? I don't think too many people were using Loctite in the past to be honest. I do think the old ones were just made better. And with the new ones, you are supposed to put them on in a very specific way...I don't know, but switching to the new system was a big miss for Cartier imo. I've heard of the purple Loctite "trick" too, but make sure you research. Or take them to Cartier if you bought them there. I watched a video of a woman who had to exchange her Love three times! :amazed: Good luck and keep us posted!

My oldest version is like a tank and still does not come unscrewed. I have 2 with the old screw system that do come unscrewed though. The screws just get stripped over time. For me, stacking definitely makes them more likely to unscrew. I have one bracelet in France to be repaired with the old screw system (the screw totally fell out and the bracelet was gaping open and would have fallen off if I didn’t happen to check it) and another bracelet with the old screw system which will probably need to go as well. I purchased the loctite purple, so just deciding if I want to go that route first. I also have one with the new screw system that loosens, and another with the new screw system that does not. It is just the nature of the bracelet I think.

My oldest version is like a tank and still does not come unscrewed. I have 2 with the old screw system that do come unscrewed though. The screws just get stripped over time. For me, stacking definitely makes them more likely to unscrew. I have one bracelet in France to be repaired with the old screw system (the screw totally fell out and the bracelet was gaping open and would have fallen off if I didn’t happen to check it) and another bracelet with the old screw system which will probably need to go as well. I purchased the loctite purple, so just deciding if I want to go that route first. I also have one with the new screw system that loosens, and another with the new screw system that does not. It is just the nature of the bracelet I think.

I'm glad you posted. Prior to purchasing my Loves, I did a lot of research and watched a lot of videos about whether or not the Love is worth it, and my conclusion is that it is!! Despite many horror stories of both the old and new system having issues as well as the lucky ones that did not have issues on either designs, I was not deterred by these horror stories. Perhaps the older version does provide more stability as it appears to me to have a longer screw system; thus, the screws are somewhat raised from the rest of the bracelet, but from many stories I have read, just as yours, there is no guarantee.

It is the nature of the bracelet as it is the nature of screws to become loose with vibrations. It's just physics. Here's a thread that contains a good article I read that explains it.

Therefore, if you do constantly have issues with your bracelet, I have been swayed and agree with @avcbob - use Loctite! It's the only solution and as he says, "insurance" and peace of mind!

Okay, here's the skinny on it:

Yellow gold, sans diamonds: $3,600
Yellow gold, half diamonds (5): $7,250
Yellow gold, full diamonds (10): (Removed, I'm not sure it was accurate - around $11,000?)

Rose gold - same structure as yellow

White gold, sans diamonds - $4,200
White gold, half diamonds - $7,550
White gold, full diamonds - I do not know
Love Charity "string" bracelet

White gold (2007) - $475, $100 to charity
Rose gold (2006) - $475, $100 to charity
Rose gold and white gold together (2008) - $975 (or $990?), $200 to charity

It's always good to see posts like this - another reason way the Love is worth it because it appreciates so much over the years!

I hope they will bring back the 6 diamond Love. I think they removed it because they could make more of a profit on the 4 diamond Love and then the jump to the 10 diamond Love - it's just my assumption, but I don't know.

I did inquire about it in store, and the SA stated that he thinks they removed it from circulation about 6-7 years ago. However, as Cartier does custom items, if I were to order it, the mark up on things is usually 30% which I don't think is worth it, and if my research is correct, at one point the 6 diamond Love was priced at $12,600 - fingers-crossed they will eventually bring it back because it was so well-balanced in my opinion!

I agree completely with @avcbob and using Loctite for piece of mind. Its commonly used by wristwatch companies to keep screws in bracelets from coming loose over time. I don't stack bracelets, but from what I've heard it's a more common issue if yous stack bracelets. The other thing I do is I insure my Love bracelets. So if something unfortunately does happen to one, it's not a complete loss, and I'll get a check to replace it/them.

Last edited:
I'm glad you posted. Prior to purchasing my Loves, I did a lot of research and watched a lot of videos about whether or not the Love is worth it, and my conclusion is that it is!! Despite many horror stories of both the old and new system having issues as well as the lucky ones that did not have issues on either designs, I was not deterred by these horror stories. Perhaps the older version does provide more stability as it appears to me to have a longer screw system; thus, the screws are somewhat raised from the rest of the bracelet, but from many stories I have read, just as yours, there is no guarantee.

It is the nature of the bracelet as it is the nature of screws to become loose with vibrations. It's just physics. Here's a thread that contains a good article I read that explains it.

Therefore, if you do constantly have issues with your bracelet, I have been swayed and agree with @avcbob - use Loctite! It's the only solution and as he says, "insurance" and peace of mind!

I agree! Anything of value is worth a little effort to check once in awhile, it is not an inconvenience. The great informative posts here swayed me on the loctite, and actually also reading the reviews of the product, since I realized that so many people needed to use it, the majority for engine and bike parts. They just took it as matter of fact that they needed to use loctite to protect against screws coming loose with vibration and then felt secure to ride a motorcycle down the highway afterwards! So it should be sufficient for a bracelet!

• Love
Reactions: calinyc and Chaton
Wow, I appreciate that more "seasoned" Love owners shared their experiences! I agree with what everyone said. My theory as far as them changing the screws is that it was more practical from a business standpoint. As the Love grew in popularity and became more mass produced, having the screws be a part of the design was more practical. Can you imagine all these Love owners losing screws and Cartier constantly having to replace them? Production-wise, it just didn't make sense! While I do think the old system is better, that shouldn't deter someone from buying the new system Love. Everything in life requires maintenance if you think about it, so a little Loctite shouldn't be a deal breaker!

Last edited:
Reactions: calinyc