Cartier jewelry/stacks „hurting your image“, why, if so?

I always wear long sleeves, so my Cartier is always covered. But I live in a college town, so I doubt people here even know what Cartier is. But I wear my Louis Vuittons everyday too, and people do know what that is, and just compliment me on it.

I leave in Switzerland and work for multinational companies for more than 20 years now.
I can say that people look at what you wear and already received comments saying that I should earn a lot to wear Cartier jewelry, although Geneva is not very far from my area! People always judge and comment whatever we do unfortunately. They only see the accomplishments but not the hard work to get where we are..
Anyway, with time and age I am more conscious of my surrounding and try to dress and wear my jewelry in a more subtil way, not to overshadow anyone. But one can still notice my love for fashion and jewelry I think as this is just part of me :smile:
I don’t find wearing expensive jewellery is rare or considered rude in Europe, but invasive comments like you experienced - yes! People mind their own business most of the time. Where I am I honestly only see super bling with nouveau riche girls/ladies with rich husbands…or dodgy flashy types with questionable businesses…Obviously only my superficial thoughts on that. I don’t stop and ask what they do to afford such luxuries. I also see a lot of other type of rich: good skin, good body, one Love on one wrist (or sth Tiffany’s), Cartier watch on the other, dressed in cashmeres and silks, quite modest but you can tell they‘re comfortable- don’t have to prove anything to anyone ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to work at a large law firm in NYC, and have moved into the corporate world and am in DC now. My salary/profession seemed fit for wearing whatever luxury items we wanted but as I started going back into the office, I was surprised to see these corporate heads not wearing a single luxury item. I fly out for business at least once a month visiting company offices nationwide and internationally. I only recently started this job and am always on the fence of whether to keep my stack and take off a couple. I usually will take off a couple but not all. Most of my coworkers make more than I do but always dress down, so I’ve been very self conscious about it. This topic has been floating in my head for quite some time now… It’s summer so I don’t have long sleeves to cover them, but taking my loves off every few weeks seems like such a hassle and I hate it loosening up from it. /endrant
How many are in your permanent stack?

Reactions: MainlyBailey
I used to work at a large law firm in NYC, and have moved into the corporate world and am in DC now. My salary/profession seemed fit for wearing whatever luxury items we wanted but as I started going back into the office, I was surprised to see these corporate heads not wearing a single luxury item. I fly out for business at least once a month visiting company offices nationwide and internationally. I only recently started this job and am always on the fence of whether to keep my stack and take off a couple. I usually will take off a couple but not all. Most of my coworkers make more than I do but always dress down, so I’ve been very self conscious about it. This topic has been floating in my head for quite some time now… It’s summer so I don’t have long sleeves to cover them, but taking my loves off every few weeks seems like such a hassle and I hate it loosening up from it. /endrant
Maybe something like this (Swarovski leather thingy) with or without stones can give you some ideas . I have those 3FA0F167-B7D0-4F26-B273-1B062207D401.jpeg958A0869-F198-4994-89B3-4B23BE336730.jpegin lots of different colors and takes a second to put on without a need to remove your bracelet .

Maybe something like this (Swarovski leather thingy) with or without stones can give you some ideas . I have those View attachment 5433202View attachment 5433203in lots of different colors and takes a second to put on without a need to remove your bracelet .
It looks strange to me.Wear your love with proud or remove it, but hiding like this....no way.

Maybe something like this (Swarovski leather thingy) with or without stones can give you some ideas . I have those View attachment 5433202View attachment 5433203in lots of different colors and takes a second to put on without a need to remove your bracelet .
Please understand my comment in a correct way. Don't want to hurt you. The idea is good.BUT You are lucky to have such a beautiful bracelt.Don't hide it. There Will always be someone who is jealous and there will always be someone who thinks you earned it. You cannot make it right for all, just for yourself.

I wear mine like it's nobody's business lol ( shower, errards, beach, hot yoga ,cooking, work etc.) I am too lazy to take them on and off. The only time I bother when it's for medical reasons or I have to attend an event that it doesnt match up my style other than that it's 24/7. And to be honest I don't think a lot of people really recognize it or have said anything. I was thinking of adding 2 more but its starting to look tacky in my opinion. The one with diamonds looks dressy to me for everyday use . But my point here is why bother with what other's might say or think? People will always have an opinion regardless of what you wear.

SmartSelect_20220708-161153_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

This is dc culture. Most white collar workers in dc particularly in the legal field do not wear flashy jewelry or branded jewelry for that matter. In this world, you won’t be taken seriously and you will be viewed as being frivolous with money and lacking self awareness. Dc has a lot of old money and most of these people walk around looking very normal. They will spend money on nice cars, additional homes, nice schools etc., not things that make them stand out on the street or office. Most people wearing arm stacks around here are those seeking validation and/or unfamiliar with dc culture. This is a far cry from what’s acceptable in la or nyc. If you are looking to continue upward mobility, would advise not wearing the branded jewelry openly.

This is dc culture. Most white collar workers in dc particularly in the legal field do not wear flashy jewelry or branded jewelry for that matter. In this world, you won’t be taken seriously and you will be viewed as being frivolous with money and lacking self awareness. Dc has a lot of old money and most of these people walk around looking very normal. They will spend money on nice cars, additional homes, nice schools etc., not things that make them stand out on the street or office. Most people wearing arm stacks around here are those seeking validation and/or unfamiliar with dc culture. This is a far cry from what’s acceptable in la or nyc. If you are looking to continue upward mobility, would advise not wearing the branded jewelry openly.
Agreed! I should’ve clarified that I don’t go into the office in DC. I’m based out of the headquarter office in CT, and every office I visit is outside of DC. Just was giving context that I’m no longer in Manhattan. But yes, outside of parts of CA, NYC, and Miami type of places, it’s best to dress down in corporate settings and since it’s only once a month or two where I have to do that, I’m not too bothered. I opt for Celine bags for work trips since it doesn’t have logos and will take off most jewelry (no earrings or necklace, just a small stack that has sentimental value). I work from home otherwise so it’s for my viewing pleasure only (I don’t even have social media- just tPF).

Agreed! I should’ve clarified that I don’t go into the office in DC. I’m based out of the headquarter office in CT, and every office I visit is outside of DC. Just was giving context that I’m no longer in Manhattan. But yes, outside of parts of CA, NYC, and Miami type of places, it’s best to dress down in corporate settings and since it’s only once a month or two where I have to do that, I’m not too bothered. I optfor Celine bags for work trips since it doesn’t have logos and will take off most jewelry (no earrings or necklace, just a small stack that has sentimental value). I work from home otherwise so it’s for my viewing pleasure only (I don’t even have social media- just tPF).
Here's a good topic to watch regarding silent luxury. girl wear what you like people should just get over with the term "old money" it's classist. Walk around the corporate area of DC and you see women carrying LV as laptop bag and most clad in signature bags. I noticed men wears expensive shoes , tailored suits and fancy watches. On the weekend try shopping in CityCenterDC a lot of people look fancy. Yes there are levels of luxury some are probably too elusive for someone like me. But to not be able to get promoted or getting a decent bonus because of simply what you wear is a form of bullying. It's making someone who can afford it feel bad or guilty. Why certain brands are only acceptable and those that in a much higher price point are not? It's not DC's culture it's people's mentality and it's everywhere. So why would you catered yourself to fit in so you can avoid people's judgment and insecurities? You need to present yourself in the most authentic way and by not being too pretentious. You can apparently afford a cartier why not wear it with pride ? Unless you're out the country or your personal security it at risk then that's another topic.

Last edited:
Here's a good topic to watch regarding silent luxury. girl wear what you like people should just get over with the term "old money" it's classist. Walk around the corporate area of DC and you see women carrying LV as laptop bag and most clad in signature bags. I noticed men wears expensive shoes , tailored suits and fancy watches. On the weekend try shopping in CityCenterDC a lot of people look fancy. Yes there are levels of luxury some are probably too elusive for someone like me. But to not be able to get promoted or getting a decent bonus because of simply what you wear is a form of bullying. It's making someone who can afford it feel bad or guilty. Why certain brands are only acceptable and those that in a much higher price point are not? It's not DC's culture it's people's mentality and it's everywhere. So why would you catered yourself to fit in so you can avoid people's judgment and insecurities? You need to present yourself in the most authentic way and by not being too pretentious. You can apparently afford a cartier why not wear it with pride ? Unless you're out the country or your personal security it at risk then that's another topic.

Interesting. I do not know a single attorney or other white collar professional who walks around judiciary square or near k street or the Capitol carrying an lv bag as a laptop bag. We must run in different circles. The people who shop in city centre on the weekend are an almost entirely different crowd. I’m not understanding how it’s a “form of bullying” when someone isn’t getting a bonus for wearing luxury. This is not about making someone feel badly about spending money whether or not they can afford it. This is about being taken seriously. Logos and branded luxury are a very real distraction when you want to be taken seriously in dc. When is the last time you saw Michelle ***** or Nancy ****** or most other people on the Hill wearing cartier bangles or carrying a Louis Vuitton bag? These people are not insecure. They wear what is appropriate for the mood and for dc culture which is not appearing like you’re wasting taxpayer or client money. It is one thing to wear a single cartier bangle or a single vca pendant. But it is quite another thing to look like you have Wonder Woman cuffs. There’s a time and place for everything.

Interesting takes. I’m in dc as well. But not in politics or law. And in my circles, people wear easily identifiable things. It’s not uncommon to see people i work with carrying LV or Gucci. I work closely with management in a different department and there is someone i work with all the time who loves her handbags. No one thinks anything of it.

So I’m guessing it’s more industry based and not just location based. So maybe saying people in dc won’t take you serious is a bit of a broad stroke.

It seems fitting in will be a theme for many people of all backgrounds from kindergarten to the Capitol. That‘s ok. It seems a bit shallow to question one‘s competence or seriousness if (s)he wears more than one bangle though, or to not promote a talented employee, or choose another one who wears less (branded) jewellery. Again, just my opinion (as an attorney, not in DC). Hillary wearing an obvious Chanel J12 or Jackie Kennedy wearing VCA doesn‘t change the way I look at them professionally.

Interesting takes. I’m in dc as well. But not in politics or law. And in my circles, people wear easily identifiable things. It’s not uncommon to see people i work with carrying LV or Gucci. I work closely with management in a different department and there is someone i work with all the time who loves her handbags. No one thinks anything of it.

So I’m guessing it’s more industry based and not just location based. So maybe saying people in dc won’t take you serious is a bit of a broad stroke.
Thanks for shedding light on this issue. My statement largely had to do with jewelry but yes in my industry people are careful about obvious luxury. What industry do you work in? I can see perhaps employees in marketing or real estate wearing more branded items.