Cartier jewelry/stacks „hurting your image“, why, if so?

I saw working in finance, High-Net-Worth-Individuals wouldn't trust a finance person (or lawyer, event planner, decorator, etc) who didn't dress/accessorize to a certain level.
probably varies according to clientele. we know a very successful wealth manager who does a lot of business in the UAE, so his version of high quality business casual dress is appropriate. But he’s also a boutique family office, not big bank, and he’s personable and delivers results.
even tried to not share my address in case someone tries to look it up- so now I sound purely paranoid.
Nope it’s not paranoid. I’ve done this growing up, to avoid comments. I simply say UES
I just got back from Europe, and only saw one person wearing a single Cartier LOVE bangle. I thought for sure I'd see a lot more and was surprised that I only saw the one. Barely saw anyone with designer handbag
I don’t recall seeing much cartier love, but jewelry and bags might depend on particular hotel or venue. A bit of VCA. Some pascual BrunI (which I don’t see in Ny) and a lot of Bulgari in Italy, that was big. Hermes and chanel carried by many in hotels like hotel de russie; Aman Venice, Bulgari hotel, and Connaught). the doctor administering our Covid tests in one hotel had a nice white gold stack. Hotel on site restaurants were patronized by tourists and neighborhood locals. People seemed to dress casually but wear jewelry in shops. not really any in museums, ballet, or opera, but it wasn’t like we were going to season events. I did see a brand called vernier so? Which apparently is Roman.

for all of these views, JMO and YMMV :smile:

Last edited:
This has been really interesting to read. I wear my three bracelets all the time and I'm not sure it would occur to me to take them off. I've recently changed careers from a primary teacher to an illustrator, but I wore them to school and didn't worry about it. If other staff members or parents noticed them, I wasn't aware of it, and wouldn't have cared. I honestly don't think a single staff member knew what they were (I once had someone ask if my "copper bracelets" were helping my health).

This has been really interesting to read. I wear my three bracelets all the time and I'm not sure it would occur to me to take them off. I've recently changed careers from a primary teacher to an illustrator, but I wore them to school and didn't worry about it. If other staff members or parents noticed them, I wasn't aware of it, and wouldn't have cared. I honestly don't think a single staff member knew what they were (I once had someone ask if my "copper bracelets" were helping my health).
That's funny.

I went to a wedding last night, and the guy next to me at the table said he loved how I matched my bracelets and rings together lol. I was wearing my small JUC bracelet and ring, and both regular LOVE ring and regular LOVE bangle on my right hand. I thought that was clever that he was even looking and noticed.

Reactions: missie1 and hhw
I primarily work with men and would have 0 issue wearing a Cartier stack to work since they probably won’t know what it is. That said, the number of catty comments I’ve received while wearing a Rolex have made me so uncomfortable that I will not wear one around clients - if I thought a stack would be as easily recognizable I might “nope” out of that at the office as well.

I primarily work with men and would have 0 issue wearing a Cartier stack to work since they probably won’t know what it is. That said, the number of catty comments I’ve received while wearing a Rolex have made me so uncomfortable that I will not wear one around clients - if I thought a stack would be as easily recognizable I might “nope” out of that at the office as well.
I can understand. Although I haven't had any comments made towards my Rolex or Cartier jewelry (not yet, at least), I work with this woman who constantly looks at my handbags and announces what I'm using to the office ("Oh let me look at that Prada", "Oh Miss Louis Vuitton, I love your handbag...."). It's embarrassing.

I can understand. Although I haven't had any comments made towards my Rolex or Cartier jewelry (not yet, at least), I work with this woman who constantly looks at my handbags and announces what I'm using to the office ("Oh let me look at that Prada", "Oh Miss Louis Vuitton, I love your handbag...."). It's embarrassing.
That sounds like jealousy right there, honestly! Enjoy what you’ve earned and don’t be embarrassed.

I’m less concerned about the “look” aspect but the “sound” effect of jewelry in professional work place… I found it annoying if someone’s watch or jewelry constantly clinks when they moves.

Reading this thread for the first time... I also once had a colleague ask me about "copper bracelet" (for health) and was interesting in getting one himself. I thought I was the only one haha...

Last edited:
In Switzerland, it is rare to see people wearing massive engagement rings for example. A 1ct stone is already considered big here. I have 0.6 ct and I notice some looks on my ring already..
The younger crowd likes to show off more but people of my age (45 and above) consider the accumulation of wealth status (logo bags, accumulation of jewelry) not very classy most of the time. In general people here are quite low profile in fact..
It really depends on your work environment and the city where you leave. Geneva is fine for being more blingy for example. I only stack my bracelets when I go there. Otherwise, I wear one at the time.

Absolutely agree with you. I work in Switzerland as well and one rarely sees designer jewelries. I might have seen a love ring or love bracelet a few times (2-3x) in my lifetime here (and I grew up in Switzerland). Maybe once or twice a Cartier necklace. Honestly, I've never seen anyone here wearing a VCA piece. I do see some people with Tiffany silver jewelry pieces (mostly teenagers) and lots of Pandora.
I see lots of people here wearing engagement rings but the diamond on it is tiny (like max. 0.20ct or so). I only saw once someone wearing an engagement ring with a larger stone (probably something around 1ct), but she was from the US working here in Switzerland.

I do see a significant amount of people wearing louis vuitton, chanel or dior bags. Occasionally also Hermes Bags. But only in big cities like Zurich or Geneva.
Also I noticed that some people (especially men, but also women) do wear expensive watches like Rolex or IWC to work.

Generally, people here do look at your jewelries and bags and they also drop a (sour) comment about it if its e.g. from a luxury designer brand. As for myself, I love luxury jewelries but find myself buying more of the "lowkey" designes of luxury houses, so something that is not obviously designer (like the love bracelet/love ring) that everyone recognizes.

probably varies according to clientele. we know a very successful wealth manager who does a lot of business in the UAE, so his version of high quality business casual dress is appropriate. But he’s also a boutique family office, not big bank, and he’s personable and delivers results.
Here it’s the retail bankers that will wear a H or GG belt and the mortgage bankers that will carry a birkin (granted she was a very successful mortgage banker). Nothing wrong with that as someone who loves fashion but it’s just an observation vs the ones who are partners with pe or hedge fund managers. They’re more likely wearing a Patagonia/Columbia vest over a tie with a button down l/s and a more relax pants then dress.

There’s a lot more to someone then their clothing/accessories but that also doesn’t mean one has to be sloppy or not hygienic.

Wearing/not wearing designer goods shouldn’t exclude you from xyz 90% of the time. For the 10%, you decide whether it’s worth tackling someone’s potential misperception based on what you’re wearing ahead of time or just leave it off.

Eta** fwiw when you’re younger/not yet proven you probably go into the workforce with the advice of dressing a certain way, and managers/bosses generally will not tell you any different. When you work long enough you get the idea that clients (on west coast or Bay Area specifically) aren’t impressed with the whole suit/tie down to the T look and you stick out like a sore thumb, you may feel bold enough to dress down.

Or you could be like me, never liked collar shirts and dressing up ‘business’ for work. I like being able to transition to going out after work with little changing.

Last edited:
If I notice someone wearing $15k+ on their wrist in the office it gives me hope that my company may have that compensation potential for me one day :biggrin:
Tbh you really don’t know.

A prior company I worked for, had an employee whose parents owned a well known household item… no one would know looking at her, because she wasn’t dripping in money and tbh our jobs weren’t that glamorous… certainly didn’t pay well enough to maintain a maserati/Lamborghini/Ferrari type of car which she most certainly drove (but not to work, no parking).

I mean our checks would have barely covered the gas.

I used to care... now I don't. Majority of our time is at work... I want to make the most of my jewelry or handbags! But that being said, I don't wear Cartier Paved regular love... I do afraid it will be a little flashy, especially my senior next to me does not wear/ change fancy bracelets everyday on her wrists...

Reactions: GaMomJRM