Can anyone identify this Dooney?

Hey there! I'm brandy new to this site and was hoping to piggy-back off this fabulous thread on identifying a *possible* Dooney. This number is quite the opposite of the colorful Madras and is in very preloved condition. I found this purse at an estate sale today in La Jolla, CA, and couldn't resist though I have never seen this logo style. I'm wondering if it's a true vintage, or if it is a fake. I didn't find anything like it when searching. Also wondering in general if counterfiet Dooneys are out there in the wild--I wouldn't have thought so but I may be naive!

IMG_1084.jpeg

IMG_1083.jpeg

Hey there! I'm brandy new to this site and was hoping to piggy-back off this fabulous thread on identifying a *possible* Dooney. This number is quite the opposite of the colorful Madras and is in very preloved condition. I found this purse at an estate sale today in La Jolla, CA, and couldn't resist though I have never seen this logo style. I'm wondering if it's a true vintage, or if it is a fake. I didn't find anything like it when searching. Also wondering in general if counterfiet Dooneys are out there in the wild--I wouldn't have thought so but I may be naive!

View attachment 5863227

View attachment 5863228
Normally a bag can't be identified until it's confirmed as authentic. For authentication requests, the post should be made here:
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/authenticate-this-dooney-bourke.118342/ (It's not necessary to repost there.)

I don't see any red flags but I'd like to see both front and back of the red, white and blue label with serial number. Please add the pictures to confirm (or deny) authenticity.

The logo shown on the bag is called Donegal crest and

Normally a bag can't be identified until it's confirmed as authentic. For authentication requests, the post should be made here:
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/authenticate-this-dooney-bourke.118342/ (It's not necessary to repost there.)

I don't see any red flags but I'd like to see both front and back of the red, white and blue label with serial number. Please add the pictures to confirm (or deny) authenticity.

The logo shown on the bag is called Donegal crest and
Thank you so much for your reply and for the education. I didn't know of the Donegal crest--very interesting. I took a few more pictures. It does have a tag and # inside (BO 700985), and there was even a sticker with the type of bag. But the hardware doesn't seem to be brass, and it has a magnetic closure? I appreciate your thoughts--happy to repost over at the authentication site if this is getting too deep!

IMG_1085.jpeg

IMG_1089.jpeg

IMG_1090.jpeg

IMG_1087.jpeg

IMG_1089.jpeg

IMG_1088.jpeg

Thank you so much for your reply and for the education. I didn't know of the Donegal crest--very interesting. I took a few more pictures. It does have a tag and # inside (BO 700985), and there was even a sticker with the type of bag. But the hardware doesn't seem to be brass, and it has a magnetic closure? I appreciate your thoughts--happy to repost over at the authentication site if this is getting too deep!

View attachment 5863253

View attachment 5863256

View attachment 5863257

View attachment 5863259

View attachment 5863260

View attachment 5863261
Perfect! Dooney makes it easy for us to ID items by hiding those labels under pockets. Many people don't know they're there and because of the location, they don't fall off easily.

The bag is exactly as shown on the label - medium flap bag.

Sorry I don't know when it was made.

I have a question ‍:wave:

For the vintage bags, did D&B always use riri zippers? And did they use YKK zippers too? I’m comparing 2 buckle satchels (R212) that have different zippers. TIA

Last edited:
I have a question ‍:wave:

For the vintage bags, did D&B always use riri zippers? And did they use YKK zippers too? I’m comparing 2 buckle satchels (R212) that have different zippers. TIA
I've seen both Riri and YKK on both authentic items and fakes. For an authentication, I'd never judge authenticity based on a zipper. Authenticity is determined by the details of the item itself. On an authentic item, the zipper could have been replaced by a cobbler if it broke.

Also, I can't say whether Dooney also used multiple brands of zippers, getting what was available from suppliers at the time they were ordering zippers.

• Thanks
Reactions: KiltyR45
Yes, I have a tote in the wavy leather. It's very durable.
And the bag is somewhat structured.
The leather might be lightly coated. The top zipper portion of the
tote I have is removeable and the bag becomes an open tote.

The leather trim on mine is undyed natural vachetta leather.
That leads me to believe it is likely the leather trim on the bag you
are looking at has darkened over time and with use.

Reactions: Lilybarb

Thank you LJ!

Anyone recall what collection this may have been? I don't recognize it.

I believe it's wavy leather. Anyone have any experience with that line?

I don't know the name of the style but the leather looks similar to the leather LV uses for Epi items. (Example from Yoogi's: https://www.yoogiscloset.com/547058-louis-vuitton-toledo-blue-epi-leather-elise-wallet.html )

The trim is natural vachetta and because it's untreated, one of the characteristics of vachetta leather is that it darkens with age and handling.

Reactions: Lilybarb