Calling All TPF Hermes Forum HORSE WOMEN HELLO WHO ARE YOU?

Rode in the Polo Club before the children came, which was eons ago. Now it's only for leisure. It's expensive to keep a horse where I'm staying unless you serious about polo, show jumping and dressage competition. Last rode in Tibet last summer on the plateau plain, wish we had that much space to ride here....

What a great thread! Horses run in the family for me, my grandfather was a horse lover and owned racehorses in the 1970s and 1980s, he was lucky in that they did pretty well, too! Sadly he died when I was 4 mos old and the horses were sold so I never got to be a part of that. I've always been horse-crazy though- for my first birthday we had ponies come to our street for pony rides! I started riding casually western-style when I was probably 7, and started riding english seriously when I was 8 or 9. I had a wonderful trainer who was very patient with me (I was super timid, to say the least) and when I was 15, an old friend of my grandfather's offered me a horse of my own. She was an ex-racehorse, 5 y.o. chestnut mare. I was over the moon! It was a lot of work to train her, though, because she was only just off the track and clearly not ready to do hunters which was my sport. In a funny twist of fate, about a month after I got her I recieved a letter inviting me to apply to an early college program in Massachusetts, across the country from where I lived at the time. I applied and got a full scholarship so of course I couldn't turn it down. I moved back East and I've been out here ever since. I kept up riding for about a year after that, but then I started coming back home less often, spending summers back East, etc. and it frankly wasn't fair to my horse, so I gave her to my trainer who tells me she has found someone else to love her and care for her, which is really all I could wish for. I still miss riding though, and am hoping to start taking lessons out here in Brooklyn soon.
I love hearing about you ladies who are still involved with horses, it makes me hopeful that I'll be able to get back into it, too!

I had the best quarter horse/appaloosa in the world when I was 10 til age 20. He was a fabulous barrel racer, a great western pleasure showhorse as well as the most fun "ride all day through the forests and fields" best friend. He was the biggest smartest strongest bravest horse friend I've ever had and he'll always be my number one.

I have always loved scarves and it was all the riding themes on Hermes' scarves that drew me in. So I'm constantly reminded of my biggest buddy. :heart: :love: :heart:

What a nice thread, docride....thank you for starting it. :smile:

appaloosa.jpg

This is what my guy looked like, very close....except the markings on his butt were less distinct, softer, more blended.

Always went to the races as a kid with my dad who loved riding when he could. I love the aesthetics of jumping and dressage but wasn't a huge fan of grooming the horses (sorry!) pre-lessons and also found out that I was very allergic to the animals. When I found myself staring at the underside of a horse and hanging onto the bottom of my saddle when my horse took off during a cantering lesson (albeit in the ring), I was totally done. Now I admire from afar and enjoy catching events on TV when they are on, and live vicariously through my other horse-loving friends here. :smile:

My housekeeper "E" sent me a few pictures she still has in her library.
She is also a forum member,and took most of the pictures I first posted.
Thank you E! This is Legend,our Paso Fino stallion. This picture was from last May;he just turned 25. He will be 26 May 10th!

Attachments

• Me 2007 1414 (478 x 600).jpg
    Me 2007 1414 (478 x 600).jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 102
  • Legend (600 x 450).jpg
    Legend (600 x 450).jpg
    65 KB · Views: 100
These a a few of the Friesians also taken last May.
THAT IS NOT ME in the picture;but that is my husband in the blue shirt!
We started out with Paso's and Quarter Horses. My husband got bigger as our horses got bigger, Friesians and Percherons! LOL
He has lost weight now and is still trying to lose much more.

Attachments

• IMG_6725 (600 x 394)-1.jpg
    IMG_6725 (600 x 394)-1.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_6726 (600 x 440)-1.jpg
    IMG_6726 (600 x 440)-1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_6738 (600 x 420)-1.jpg
    IMG_6738 (600 x 420)-1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_6739 (600 x 396)-1.jpg
    IMG_6739 (600 x 396)-1.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 121
Thank You Kolibriszuka! They are Friesians,a Dutch breed. We imported them all from the Netherlands before they were 2 years old. They are a Draft breed. They are very calm and laid back;easy to work with;but they are too big for me!