Be honest--do you use the kelly as an everyday bag?

Kim, I hear where you're coming from. I have been eyeing my collection with a very critical eye the past few days because I have quite a few of both kelly and birkins. I love them both but I find I can't get my small but heavy makeup bag in the kelly after I've put my wallet and phone in whereas I can in the birkins with room to spare. They are, however, sellier. I have a retourne kelly coming soon so maybe that will help but of course it's a 32 and someday i need to bite the bullet and buy a 35 or 40cm retourne kelly and maybe that's my answer.

sorry for the long reply - but i thought it'd be helpful perhaps.

I have the 35 black clemence kelly in retourne-- I use it every time I am NOT going to work, as I have to set it in a closet w/ other people's belongings for the entire day. my bf complains that it's big and heavy, but it does not bother me at all. I love it! It fits everything I need, and t he shoulder strap comes in handy. I still crave for a box calf kelly in sellier, but right now, my casual life goes well with my current kelly.

Thanks may! I saw a 35cm retourne in the boutique next to a 32cm sellier and they looked exactly the same size to me, SA said it was because retourne looks a little smaller then it is because of inside stitching.

I wish someone had a photo of a 40cm retourne, not an ebay listing but like an action photo...?

I was really surprised I couldn't get it into my 32 selliers. Well it will probably fit in there, but it makes it way too heavy for just the single handle. Turns it into a brick :sad: which is sad, for I love my kellys, each and every one! So I just use them for more formal occasions or places where I don't have to be all day.

Ingénue Sophie;2666812 said:
I was really surprised I couldn't get it into my 32 selliers. Well it will probably fit in there, but it makes it way too heavy for just the single handle. Turns it into a brick :sad: which is sad, for I love my kellys, each and every one! So I just use them for more formal occasions or places where I don't have to be all day.

Sophie, if you had a larger kelly that held more, wouldn't weight still be an issue, since it would still have just have the one strap? I'm wondering about this since I'm considering a 32 retourne also. If I fill it up, will it be too heavy for the bag "architecture?"

^ I have a 32 retourne and fill it but try not to stuff it. But mine fits a good sized makeup bag, wallet sunglasses case, checkbook keys and phone. Sometimes I add a water bottle.

GT!!!! :wtf: A......a........a WATER BOTTLE?!?!?!?!?!?!? Oh say it ain't so........

oiy vey.....I'm so anal that I put any kind of liquid I might need to carry inside a plastic baggy and THEN inside my bag. But usually I just go thirsty.....I'm such a klutz it would be my luck the bottled water would explode!

^LOLOL! don't worry - it's IN a baggie. :smile:
I carry water with me everywhere. Lately, though, if I'm at the mall or something, I'll carry an extra little shopping bag (like the tiny ones from NM) and put my water bottle and a few snacks for DD.

now everyone's got me thinking about a retourne kelly again. just when i thought i'd try for the birkin... i'm planning on doing a little travelling (las vegas and hawaii) before having another baby so maybe i'll be lucky to check out a 32 retourne in a casual leather.

i think i'd be scared to put a water bottle in any h bag (although i do it all the time in my other bags).

I don't hear anyone talk about tucking in the flap of the kelly and stapping up the staps. When I strap it up and use the shoulder strap, it has enough strength to have the top flap tucked in for easy access---just for those times when closing the top is a pain. This is for a 32cm retourne in soft leather--not sure about others.

never thought of that option. i just tried with my 28 sellier. i can't tuck in the top and strap up the straps, but i can have everything hanging (top undone, straps dangling) with the shoulder strap in case of emergencies. not a pretty look though. nice to know that it can be done on your retourne, pampered1.

Shopmom I am with you about water bottles. I can't bear to put one in my Kelly. I don't like my bags to be too heavy anyway (it's a posture thing). So I usually just buy a small bottle every so often and drink the whole thing and get rid of the bottle before continuing on.

I'm still searching for my grail Kelly, but one question -- is it a bit more "dangerous" to wear a sellier Kelly with the shoulder strap because it moves more and may get scratches and dings? I'd want to wrap my hypothetical box kelly in my arms to protect her! Or should I just get over it because there's always the spa?!

beaumonde, I don't find that I bump into things with any greater frequency whilst wearing Kelly with the strap vs holding her with the handle.

Know what you mean about wanting to protect the bag....they are, of course, meant to be used and loved although I do admit to having a *thing* about always wanting my Hermes to stay looking new. It won't happen....but, like you, I can try!

I don't hear anyone talk about tucking in the flap of the kelly and stapping up the staps. When I strap it up and use the shoulder strap, it has enough strength to have the top flap tucked in for easy access---just for those times when closing the top is a pain. This is for a 32cm retourne in soft leather--not sure about others.

Oh thanks so much for this suggestion. I just tried it and love it!:idea: