Bbags & Water/Rain/Weather - how to deal

I was hesitant to spray my GGH Work because the hardware might get discolored. Based on posts I have read here bbags seem to do OK in the rain. Then I remembered reading a post about someone's sprayed bag and how she just wiped off blue jean dye stains. She said just wiping off wouldn't have been possible if the bag hadn't been sprayed. So, I decided to spray just the back of my bag where it might come into contact with my jeans.

Has it worked? Are there any jean marks on your bbag?

Hi all!

I'm not very active on the Balenciaga forum, as I only have one BBag! It's a lovely Anthracite Twiggy, bought from a wonderful TPFer on ebay.

I bought this bag specifically for the vintage, distressed look, as I figured I could use it in the rain without detracting from the bag. (Tropical storms here in Australia can have huge downpours with little warning). Then I read here and asked questions and the general idea is that it's best to keep BBags away from water? Well, that would mean I could barely use her! So I decided to test just how water resistant these bags are. What can I say, I was curious! Luckily, the mirror is a perfect test case to see the effect on the leather :smile:

So - I got the bag, and treated it and the mirror and tassels etc with Mimco leather protector spray like I do with all my bags. (apparently it's the same ingredients as the AUS/NZ Waproo water protectant spray).

Then I took a before pic, and sprinkled some water on the mirror. Dried up fine, so I held it under a running tap for a minute or two. Still dried perfectly, no marks! :tup: The water just drips off or can be wiped away.

So you can get your BBags wet, just wise to protect them with some water and stain protector first. :yes: I'll certainly be running around in all weather with mine!

See the attached pics for the before, during, and after shots of the very 'scientific' experiment :P I'm pleased with the results :yes:

Attachments

• IMG_1171.JPG
    IMG_1171.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1174.JPG
    IMG_1174.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1178.JPG
    IMG_1178.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1179.JPG
    IMG_1179.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1181.JPG
    IMG_1181.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 61
It looks amazing!!! Thanks for sharing!

I live in Denmark, and we have a looooooot of rain too!!

Both my Bordeaux First and my Black city has been soaked on days with heavy (and I really mean heavy) rain, where I couldn't find shelter - both bags are perfect - and I did not spray them with anything..

I simply dried the bags - hanging - no heating - and they have no stains or anything ( I was truely terrified when it came to the Bourdeaux, but it looks as great as it did before).

When you live in a country like Denmark there is nothing you can do... Your bag WILL get caught in the rain at some point!!

But I think i will try to get hold on some spray of some kind... I'm just worried it will disturb the leather more?

It looks amazing!!! Thanks for sharing!

I live in Denmark, and we have a looooooot of rain too!!

Both my Bordeaux First and my Black city has been soaked on days with heavy (and I really mean heavy) rain, where I couldn't find shelter - both bags are perfect - and I did not spray them with anything..

I simply dried the bags - hanging - no heating - and they have no stains or anything ( I was truely terrified when it came to the Bourdeaux, but it looks as great as it did before).

When you live in a country like Denmark there is nothing you can do... Your bag WILL get caught in the rain at some point!!

But I think i will try to get hold on some spray of some kind... I'm just worried it will disturb the leather more?

You're very brave to not waterproof your bags - I always waterproof mine. I'm too scared of what might happen otherwise! It's great to know that they can hold up in the rain on their own :tup:

The Mimco spray I used is sold to be used on very delicately dyed leather, using vegetable dye. You can't moisturise some Mimco bags or use any cream on them as you'll damage the leather and the colour, the spray is the only thing you can use. I use it for everything as it works so well and doesn't make a difference to the leather!

I think protector spray is the safest option, and you can always test it on the mirror first if you're unsure.

My Electric Blue RH City has been utterly drenched several times this year due to a series of collapsing umbrellas. The colour has not changed at all but the shine may have got a bit less in the wetter areas and the leather maybe a tiny bit drier. (I hadn't pre-sprayed.)

However, this is my first experience of agneau bags and I think the leather and handles are not standing up to use at all well compared to earlier seasons - rather flimsy.

My Electric Blue RH City has been utterly drenched several times this year due to a series of collapsing umbrellas. The colour has not changed at all but the shine may have got a bit less in the wetter areas and the leather maybe a tiny bit drier. (I hadn't pre-sprayed.)

However, this is my first experience of agneau bags and I think the leather and handles are not standing up to use at all well compared to earlier seasons - rather flimsy.

I'm glad it held up to the drenching! :yes:

I don't know what agneau means? The handles on my bag seem okay though, although I use the shoulder strap mostly.

I'm glad it held up to the drenching! :yes:

I don't know what agneau means? The handles on my bag seem okay though, although I use the shoulder strap mostly.

Agneau is lamb, chevre is goat. Some Bal SAs have been saying that all the bags have always been lamb and were mislabelled as goat until recently. However, I think the agneau labelled bags are different to my older ones.

Agneau is lamb, chevre is goat. Some Bal SAs have been saying that all the bags have always been lamb and were mislabelled as goat until recently. However, I think the agneau labelled bags are different to my older ones.

Ah, thank you for explaining! :tup: I had a look at the ebay auction and it lists my bag as chevre, so this must have the more durable leather. There is only one store in this state that sells BBags, so maybe I should take a trip there and look at the new season bags.

I should probably read up more on BBags too, there's just so much information! :shame: Everyone here knows so much already.