Balenciaga city bag dilemma

So my darling friend attended a sample sale in London last week and i asked her if there were any Balenciaga/Bottega Venetta bags to send me a photo before purchasing on my behalf.

My friend did not contact me prior and she bought the Black City Classic for 50% off it is currently sold on net-a-poter, balenciagia website etc for double what I paid.

View attachment 4582175
View attachment 4582177
This bag has always been on my wish list but I was surprised that she went ahead and bought it without checking but I do like the bag. Now a few other girlfriends are saying the bag is outdated and will be discontinued soon but my argument is that is is still a classic and with 50% off a black designer bag that is a win in my eyes as I can get alot of wear out of it.

Anyway they have kinda put a spanner in the works for me and now I thinking my friend should have checked with me first prior to purchasing on my behalf but then another part of me is grateful she got in the first place at such a great price.

Would you be content with this purchase? Is there any ideas if the city bag will be discontinued?

You're being ungrateful.

Be happy your friend was so kind and generous. If it were me, I would have bought the bag for myself and told you to fly to London if you want a deal. (Mainly because of situations like this).

If you want your money back, SELL THE BAG!
50% is a steal. You'll likely recover all your money and then have sellers remorse. So get it together and buy your friend a nice thank you gift.

Enjoy your beautiful bag, and tell the nay sayers to shove it! How dare they tell you the bag is u
out of style. I'm sure you'll rock it like a star.

Good luck hun!

I can't believe they discontinued it. Truly one of the most perfect bags ever made.The new ones are no where near as luxurious as the original city bags. I also think that when these brands discontinue designs that are considered classics, it devalues the brand. Timeless styles are what makes some of the luxurious brands so covetable. Also the newer materials on all of Balenciaga's bags along with the typeface logo just really make the brand feel a level below luxury. Definitely more "trend". IMO.

Hello everyone! My 2 cents :smile: I love the City, but went with the Neo Classic because it is more structured and it makers it easier for me to find things in there much faster. I had just ordered two - the Neo Classic Medium in dark grey from Net-A-Porter, and the Neo Classic "Used" Medium in black from the Balenciaga website, so anxious to receive them as will have to pick just one! What's interesting is that the grey medium is larger than the black "medium", but smaller than the "large; the "used" is what appears to be a limited edition - the leather is smooth, looks worn/broken in vs. brand new, more rigid grained leather of the regular medium. I am certain that I will struggle before I pick which bag to keep and will seek your help on this thread, photos and all! Might end up returning both and getting the regular medium in black.:giggle:

Here are the links:

Medium in dark grey:

Medium Used in black (this one reminds me of the City):

Last edited:
Hi again! both bags are here and I am torn! The “used” black Neo Classic is softer and slouchier than the grey, as expected; it us also somewhat smaller. The hardware is beautiful matte black, but i wonder how scratch resistant it is. The “used” model is definitely a nod to thr classic City, in my opinion. Here is a photo of the bags side by side, i am not removing the protective paper as have not decided which one is a return:/. The bags look pretty much same as pictured on the website. I really appreciate your opinions:smile:12A59148-4C31-4C40-8BB4-FD095EA16270.jpeg

Hi again! both bags are here and I am torn! The “used” black Neo Classic is softer and slouchier than the grey, as expected; it us also somewhat smaller. The hardware is beautiful matte black, but i wonder how scratch resistant it is. The “used” model is definitely a nod to thr classic City, in my opinion. Here is a photo of the bags side by side, i am not removing the protective paper as have not decided which one is a return:/. The bags look pretty much same as pictured on the website. I really appreciate your opinions:smile:View attachment 5076445

You should start your own thread so you get more responses. :smile: This one is so old. But FWIW I think the gray looks much more luxe.

Hi again! both bags are here and I am torn! The “used” black Neo Classic is softer and slouchier than the grey, as expected; it us also somewhat smaller. The hardware is beautiful matte black, but i wonder how scratch resistant it is. The “used” model is definitely a nod to thr classic City, in my opinion. Here is a photo of the bags side by side, i am not removing the protective paper as have not decided which one is a return:/. The bags look pretty much same as pictured on the website. I really appreciate your opinions:smile:View attachment 5076445
Is the black just a straight black? Hard to tell from the pics as the colour looks somewhat mottled, almost like a suede or nubuck. What kind of leather is it? For my personal style, depending on condition and price, the black is my choice, but I'd be curious to get a better sense of the leather.
Do you want the bag with more space? How important is that to you?

Is the black just a straight black? Hard to tell from the pics as the colour looks somewhat mottled, almost like a suede or nubuck. What kind of leather is it? For my personal style, depending on condition and price, the black is my choice, but I'd be curious to get a better sense of the leather.
Do you want the bag with more space? How important is that to you?
Hi! The black is more like dark grey, even light grey in places, thus bag was made to look “used” and does look it. The leather smooth and soft, semi slouchy. Yummy. The hardware is this cool matte black tone... the bag looks a lot like the original City. Space is quite important to me: i have 3 boys (25 m.o. and 9 m.o. twins), so I usually carry snacks, toys, books, wet wipes etc. The grey bag is definitely spacious and structured, beautiful color and i like the silver hardware. The grey bag is slightly heavier. Both bags are brand new, the “used” is more expensive: grey was €1850, black used €2050. The “used” is limited edition and I snagged the last one from the Balenciaga site. The grey is also somewhat rare - it is sold out on the Bal site, still available on Net-A-Porter. So hard to decide!

Reactions: moszy
Hi! The black is more like dark grey, even light grey in places, thus bag was made to look “used” and does look it. The leather smooth and soft, semi slouchy. Yummy. The hardware is this cool matte black tone... the bag looks a lot like the original City. Space is quite important to me: i have 3 boys (25 m.o. and 9 m.o. twins), so I usually carry snacks, toys, books, wet wipes etc. The grey bag is definitely spacious and structured, beautiful color and i like the silver hardware. The grey bag is slightly heavier. Both bags are brand new, the “used” is more expensive: grey was €1850, black used €2050. The “used” is limited edition and I snagged the last one from the Balenciaga site. The grey is also somewhat rare - it is sold out on the Bal site, still available on Net-A-Porter. So hard to decide!
I'm all over that black one, for me it's funkier and more to my taste. I'm also all about the slouch. Your grey will ultimately slouch as well though. The grey is a little dressier for sure. So, depends on what function you want it to serve. What does the black one feel like? Will it show more marks do you think? Then again, it might be fine with wear marks on it, it's kind of that style. I AM NO HELP HERE. :lol:

I have taken protective paper off thr grey bag Not ready to let the other one go though, I have decided to try and sell a Vetements leather jacket that’s too cool for me to wear to offset the spend. I have a little under 30 days left. Wish me luck!

Reactions: lalame
I have taken protective paper off thr grey bag Not ready to let the other one go though, I have decided to try and sell a Vetements leather jacket that’s too cool for me to wear to offset the spend. I have a little under 30 days left. Wish me luck!
Good luck and let us know!

Reactions: Aleksaki

I'm thinking of getting the black one too, it looks really cool! Would love to see more photos. For this size, can you wear it on your shoulder without the strap? Also, does a laptop fit into it? I'm thinking if I should get this size or the bigger one, since I would be carrying a laptop too.

I'm thinking of getting the black one too, it looks really cool! Would love to see more photos. For this size, can you wear it on your shoulder without the strap? Also, does a laptop fit into it? I'm thinking if I should get this size or the bigger one, since I would be carrying a laptop too.
Are you thinking of getting the black “used” or the regular black? They are the same size, the grey is slightly larger. A laptop would fit! The straps are pretty short, so if you wear oversized coats etc it’ll be tricky, just in my opinion. I just use the crossbody strap which is adjustable.

Reactions: Namwan-
Are you thinking of getting the black “used” or the regular black? They are the same size, the grey is slightly larger. A laptop would fit! The straps are pretty short, so if you wear oversized coats etc it’ll be tricky, just in my opinion. I just use the crossbody strap which is adjustable.

Thanks. I’m thinking of getting the “used” black. Still can’t decide on the size!

Reactions: Aleksaki