B. Makowsky bags are not a wise choice

It's almost insane to me to see all these bad reviews. I have one B. Makowsky in that drum dyed leather of three that I own (two of which I haven't worn much) that I've drenched in water completely for over a day (in attempt to clean out a stain), got rain on in a few downpours and drizzles , tossed around, sat on, kicked gently across the floor, put my hands all over nonstop, etc. I have been doing this to it ever since I started using it as part of my tiny normal rotation of 3 bags for almost year, and the leather is still just as soft, supple, and very nice to the touch with no notable scratches; the hardware is in great condition; the sealants look near perfect; the handles are overall about perfect.
There was another Makowsky a friend had that she had drenched completely to watch out a stain, and it went back to the same suppleness as before. Initially, it's dry and stiff when we did this, but after a few days, it goes back to feeling moisturized and all.

As for stains, I haven't noticed the body oils or color transfers like others have talked about.

Maybe we got one of the "lucky" ones or it's simply 50/50, I don't know. I'm amazed at how easily other Makowskys seem to have fallen apart.

Last edited:
I agree, I've never seen so many negative reviews. Has production changed since they are now sold on QVC?

I have the drum dyed West Broadway crossbody in silver and other than a few tiny spots rubbing off because it was against the belt loops of my jeans, I haven't had any trouble with my bag either. When I first bought it, I emailed CS about a missing key ring for the crossbody. They were so sweet, they sent me a key ring right away, no questions asked.

I have 4 B Makowsky bags and have never had any issues with them. I have used them consistently in rotation with other brands and see no difference. I did request another dust cover for one through customer service and was sent one right away free of charge. Sad to see all of these negative reviews however, I see issues within each and every brand on TPF. To each his own, I guess.

Ouch! That's quite an email for ANY company to receive! If I were the head of a company and someone sent an email like that about my products, I'd be in a scramble to address and resolve the issue! Shame on B. Makowsky for not being customer-service oriented!
I own two B. Makowsky bags, and I've had them both for a year, and I haven't had any problems, they're holding up really well and I like them. The leather is very soft and the hardware is good quality. It's true that they're heavy, but I carry a lot in my bags, so I'm used to them being heavy. They have some cute designs, but now that I know about the customer service issue at B. Makowsky, I won't buy another of their bags. I had no idea that this was the situation! I'm glad I came across this thread! Thanks ladies! Tess1956, did they ever respond to that email? If so, what did they say?
ArmCandyLuvr, you were right about the email B Makowsky company sends if you have a problem. They merely told me to take it back to the store. I wrote them back as follows:

"Gentlemen, Since your company lacks the integrity to stand behind it's product, I will not be purchasing another product of yours. I have left appropriate feedback regarding my experience at The Purse Forum, where others who frequently purchase designer bags blog about bag purchases. According to the responses my post has generated, I am not the only one who will not be buying your product again. You have many unhappy former customers. The general consensus is that your product lacks quality and anyone who purchases one will most certainly have problems with it falling apart. As one poster pointed out, lack of quality is the main reason your bags are mostly located at discount stores now. It is just a matter of time before you go out of business as do most companies who have neither integrity nor satisfactory customer service.

I am thankful I wasted money on only one of your bags! That bag is now in the garbage can, as I would not consider giving something with such shoddy workmanship to our local homeless shelter!!"

Last edited:
Wow, really? Broken hardware??? I haven't had that happen to my 2 B. Makowsky bags. I've never seen such a thing happen! But, as I stated before, the lack of customer service that has been revealed on this thread is a deal breaker for me...won't buy another B. Makowsky bag.
I have 2 Makowsky Jakarta bags (brandy & grey) and I have not had any issues at all. My SIL has the same grey one that I did and made the mistake of wearing new blue jeans and sitting her makowsky bag on her lap for a 4 hr flight and she did end up getting dye transfer on the corners of her bag. Luckily I helped her get most of it off with a magic eraser.

That said, I don't think their leather feels cheap. It is drum leather, very soft and almost like nubuck. You have to put a protector on it when you buy it. If you like to throw your bags on restaraunt floors -- this type of leather is not for you.

Where I do fault the bags:
1) many styles are ridiculously heavy. Since I'm a chiropractor, I pay particular attention to how a bag stresses the shoulder, and I've not bought many of their bags because they are so freaking heavy.
2) customer service is non-existant. They have a strict hands-off, you're on your own policy after you've bought the bag.
3) price is expensive given no warranty or customer service
4) For whatever reason, their hardware is beautiful, but poorly made. And by this I mean it is prone to breaking. YOu see a lot of makowsky bags on ebay and in stores that have broken hardware.

WHAT??!! $1000 FOR A B. MAKOWSKI BAG?!!! No, no, no...if she had that kind of money to spend on a bag, why on earth didn't she go with an MJ or an LV or something??? That's what I would have done! And I know that THEY have better customer service! (Although the folks at LV can sometimes be a bit snippy...at least its better than what I'm hearing about B. Makowsky.)
I keep wondering if the B Makowsky come in different degrees of quality. I could swear that I saw a post a few days ago where someone said she paid over $1000 for her B Makowsky! I have noticed different quality in the handles. The handle I had, which faded from bright turquoise to dark tan, and started peeling before 3 months of use, was a flat double handle and not very thick. I would imagine one of their padded or braided handles would hold up better, though I am not sure about the dye issue.

Mirdc, I'm glad you like your B Makowsky bags, but if something happens to one of them, please know that you will not get any help from the manufacturer. Finding a good repair shop is not easy, one who can match the dye, etc., and if it can't be repaired, it's a lot of money to throw away.

I got lucky that Marshalls decided to refund me, and I wonder what Macy's would do in a similar situation. B Makowsky told me they have a special relationship with retailers, which indicates they know some of their products have quality issues. If anyone has a Macy's nearby, perhaps they wouldn't mind asking Macy's about their policy on refunding these bags if they fall apart quickly, and then let us know.

That's a good question...maybe it has. Because mine seem to be fine and they're a year old. I guess a lot can change quality-wise in a year, although it's not acceptable for any company to cheap out like that.
I've had one for at least 3 years and I haven't had any problems but I bought it at Nordstroms and it was before they became mass marketers with their handbags. I wonder it the quality has gone down hill....

I have one I actually bought from QVC because it was $40 cheaper there than any other site that carried the style I wanted. I used it very little and the inside zipper broke in about 2 months use. Not the end of the world but still disappointing considering how little use it got.

am SOO glad I saw this thread!
I have been 'watching' the b. makowsky shows on qvc(he has been on a lot lately)
and finally broke down and purchased one.
I had purchased two others back during xmas holidays for xmas gifts but upon delivery I opened the box and the handles SQUEAKED! the hardware is so poor that it is double linked and of course when you grab the straps the two links SQUEAK! I of course returned them immediately and put poor feedback on the qvc comment area.....and lo and behold MANY other customers said the same thing!
But having said all of that, the most recent just has leather straps and little hardware so I thought that it would be safe and it is very soft....however after reading this thread I am considering sending it back and putting that money toward another beloved marc jacobs!!!!
thanks ladies for keeping us informed!!