B. Makowsky bags are not a wise choice

Mirdc, the only issues I had with my bag are the handles peeling, and badly fading. Plus the horrible customer service at B Makowsky is another issue entirely, and reason enough for me to never buy one of their bags again!

I just got back from Marshalls, and I absolutely cannot believe how great their customer goodwill is. Even though I bought that bag 7 months ago, the Store Manager gave me a FULL REFUND store credit, which including tax was $172.39, and I didn't even have the receipt!!! I then found a beautiful Michael Kors Grab Bag in Coffee on their sale rack for $79 and got that, did a bit more shopping, and still have almost $30 credit left!! I'm a happy customer.

I also stopped by TJ Maxx, but found no great deals today. There was a nice Pliner for $69, but I could easily live without it. Though the outside of the bag was pretty, the lining looked like cheap denim or canvas.

I'm glad you got your issue remedied from Marshalls. I'm impressed that they helped you because they are not known for being accomodating to patrons (the often won't even take a return if the item is over $50).

Marshalls does get a lot of Makowsky bags and the usually sell them for $140-$170, which I think is too high. Dillards and Macy's usually only keep them at full retail value for a month or so and then they start getting discounted. I routinely see better prices on Makowsky bags at Dillards & Macy's than at Marshalls -- but c'est la vie. I personally think it would be more appropriate if his bags started at $150 in value and then clearanced out for half price or less. You ended up paying a lot of money for a faulty bag, so I'm happy it all worked out for you.

I keep wondering if the B Makowsky come in different degrees of quality. I could swear that I saw a post a few days ago where someone said she paid over $1000 for her B Makowsky! I have noticed different quality in the handles. The handle I had, which faded from bright turquoise to dark tan, and started peeling before 3 months of use, was a flat double handle and not very thick. I would imagine one of their padded or braided handles would hold up better, though I am not sure about the dye issue.

Mirdc, I'm glad you like your B Makowsky bags, but if something happens to one of them, please know that you will not get any help from the manufacturer. Finding a good repair shop is not easy, one who can match the dye, etc., and if it can't be repaired, it's a lot of money to throw away.

I got lucky that Marshalls decided to refund me, and I wonder what Macy's would do in a similar situation. B Makowsky told me they have a special relationship with retailers, which indicates they know some of their products have quality issues. If anyone has a Macy's nearby, perhaps they wouldn't mind asking Macy's about their policy on refunding these bags if they fall apart quickly, and then let us know.

I keep wondering if the B Makowsky come in different degrees of quality. I could swear that I saw a post a few days ago where someone said she paid over $1000 for her B Makowsky! I have noticed different quality in the handles. The handle I had, which faded from bright turquoise to dark tan, and started peeling before 3 months of use, was a flat double handle and not very thick. I would imagine one of their padded or braided handles would hold up better, though I am not sure about the dye issue.

Mirdc, I'm glad you like your B Makowsky bags, but if something happens to one of them, please know that you will not get any help from the manufacturer. Finding a good repair shop is not easy, one who can match the dye, etc., and if it can't be repaired, it's a lot of money to throw away.

I got lucky that Marshalls decided to refund me, and I wonder what Macy's would do in a similar situation. B Makowsky told me they have a special relationship with retailers, which indicates they know some of their products have quality issues. If anyone has a Macy's nearby, perhaps they wouldn't mind asking Macy's about their policy on refunding these bags if they fall apart quickly, and then let us know.

B. Makowsky bags are also available on QVC.. and the prices are

not bad.. you probably can look at them on lineas well

I think if you want to buy B. Makowsky, QVC is your best bet simply because of their customer service. If you have issues with the bag, I know they will help.

And honestly, if Makowsky products are really this bad, QVC should be told too.

I have 2 Makowsky Jakarta bags (brandy & grey) and I have not had any issues at all. My SIL has the same grey one that I did and made the mistake of wearing new blue jeans and sitting her makowsky bag on her lap for a 4 hr flight and she did end up getting dye transfer on the corners of her bag. Luckily I helped her get most of it off with a magic eraser.

That said, I don't think their leather feels cheap. It is drum leather, very soft and almost like nubuck. You have to put a protector on it when you buy it. If you like to throw your bags on restaraunt floors -- this type of leather is not for you.

Where I do fault the bags:
1) many styles are ridiculously heavy. Since I'm a chiropractor, I pay particular attention to how a bag stresses the shoulder, and I've not bought many of their bags because they are so freaking heavy.
2) customer service is non-existant. They have a strict hands-off, you're on your own policy after you've bought the bag.
3) price is expensive given no warranty or customer service
4) For whatever reason, their hardware is beautiful, but poorly made. And by this I mean it is prone to breaking. YOu see a lot of makowsky bags on ebay and in stores that have broken hardware.

There's been many a time when I've been tempted to buy these bags when I see them at Nordies! The leather is just so soft and thick and chewy! It seems like such quality leather! I haven't inspected any of them closely but they seemed well made to me. The only reason I never purchased was because they are such heavy bags!! Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so. I had no idea they had all these other problems. Good to know I didn't spend the three hundred or so it was to buy these bags.

I was going to go today to get an adorable baby blue B. Makowsky along with my new Michael Kors, but I'll admit that at this point, that probably isn't going to happen now, knowing the issues that others have had. I need a durable purse, and I mostly loved that one for the color, so color fading is NOT going to be acceptable to me. At least I know the MK will hold up. All my others have with daily use for years, too bad B. Makowsky can't be the same. Thanks for everyone's opinions in this thread!

I bought a metallic B. Makowsky bag at TJ Maxx a few months back, and the color has chipped off in a few places. I've barely carried the bag! Good to know it's the manufacturer that is the problem. Maybe after the Marshall's happy ending I'll see if TJ Maxx will take the return. Thanks for all the great info!

I've had one for at least 3 years and I haven't had any problems but I bought it at Nordstroms and it was before they became mass marketers with their handbags. I wonder it the quality has gone down hill....

I own 2 B. Makowsky bags, one I bought in Macys last Setember its the Jakarta east west satchel with shoulder strap and I have not had any problems with it. As a matter of fact I get constantly asked where I purchased my bag from, its a beautiful Magenta Fushia leather with silvertone hardware. So far so good, no problems with hardware or the bag. Its one of my favorites! The second bag I purchased on QVC and its the plum satchel that was on sale when Bruce Makowsky had his todays special value over the summer and I had no problems what so ever. Maybe its luck, I don't know but I love my B. Makowsky bags and thank goodness I had no problems as others here have. Sorry to hear there was so many issues with his bags.

I also bought one 3 years ago from Marshall's and had no problems with it - a black satchel with a crossbody strap with goldtone hardware. I used it for my global travels and the plentiful pockets made it a great organizer. People also asked me what kind of bag it is. The black leather is soft and beautiful. No chips even after 3 years. As mentioned, maybe it's luck. I am quite disappointed hearing about their customer service and inconsistent quality as I had high hopes for this line. The designs always attract me while window shopping at Macy's. With sadness, I will also have to pass on owning another one, but will continue to enjoy the one I have.