B. Makowsky bags are not a wise choice

Glad I came across this thread. I almost picked one up at tj maxx for $180. I didn't buy it because it was crazy heavy for a bag that was empty. $180 is too much for a bag that won't hold up.

ArmCandyLuvr, you were right about the email B Makowsky company sends if you have a problem. They merely told me to take it back to the store. I wrote them back as follows:

"Gentlemen, Since your company lacks the integrity to stand behind it's product, I will not be purchasing another product of yours. I have left appropriate feedback regarding my experience at The Purse Forum, where others who frequently purchase designer bags blog about bag purchases. According to the responses my post has generated, I am not the only one who will not be buying your product again. You have many unhappy former customers. The general consensus is that your product lacks quality and anyone who purchases one will most certainly have problems with it falling apart. As one poster pointed out, lack of quality is the main reason your bags are mostly located at discount stores now. It is just a matter of time before you go out of business as do most companies who have neither integrity nor satisfactory customer service.

I am thankful I wasted money on only one of your bags! That bag is now in the garbage can, as I would not consider giving something with such shoddy workmanship to our local homeless shelter!!"

I'm a Coach fan but fell for a B. Makowsky hobo late last summer and brought it home. The body of the bag is holding up well considering that I carry it almost every day, but the shoulder strap's leather started peeling only a few months into carrying it. I've never had a leather bag start falling apart so quickly! I still like the bag and still carry it although I'm shopping for something new with a more structured shape; that's not the bag's fault, I simply want a different style of handbag now vs. a few months ago.

I paid $150 for this bag at TJ Maxx. I'm sorry to read about the customer service experience with B. Makowsky :sad: I thought I'd venture out and give B. Makowsky a try, but the experiences listed here plus their proliferation at TJ Maxx is not convincing me to stick with them.

I actually like the soft leather B. Makowsky uses, but I *hate* the cheap-feeling leopard print lining. I would only buy another B. Makowsky if the price was SUPER low and I wasn't looking for it to be a forever or daily-wear bag.

Last edited:
I'm kinda' surprised at the harshness toward these bags! They're not expensive bags - its easy to find them on sale at TJ's or other bargain/department stores for less than $100 if you look. There's no reason to ever pay more than $200 for them. I don't expect any other bag that I buy for that price to be replaced when it starts to show wear. If you love one, just get it from a department store that will let you return it or will replace it - several have been suggested in the threads here.

It's not Chanel or MBMJ, and doesn't pretend to be, IMO. It's a lower-priced line of leather bags that frequently, for their price, are a great deal for quality of leather. I'm puzzled by the demand for boutique-level return options at bargain-basement prices.

For the record, mine have held up well through astounding amounts of abuse. That's all I ask of a bag with the price range (on sale) of a Lucky or Fossil.

B. Makowsky has copied other designers - for example, the Hayden Harnett havana hobo and lorca - but with a side by side comparison their version is stiff and cheap feeling. And Hayden Harnett is a fairly young indie design brand, which imo makes ripping them off even meaner.

^ I saw one at TJ MAXX the other day that looked almost exactly like an HH Lorca. I've seen some that are cute, and would spend $150 on one, if the style and color fit what I was looking for. I wouldn't spend $300 on one though.

Charleston-mom, you are right. I highly resent spending over $100 for a bag that has only $30 quality. To me, the higher price should represent an item of quality and workmanship. Of course, I didn't expect that bag to last me a lifetime, but I also didn't expect the handle to start peeling after just two months. I paid $162 for it, which is not much less than I pay for a quality Dooney or Coach now and then.

armcandyluvr, you were right about the email b makowsky company sends if you have a problem. They merely told me to take it back to the store. I wrote them back as follows:

"gentlemen, since your company lacks the integrity to stand behind it's product, i will not be purchasing another product of yours. I have left appropriate feedback regarding my experience at the purse forum, where others who frequently purchase designer bags blog about bag purchases. According to the responses my post has generated, i am not the only one who will not be buying your product again. You have many unhappy former customers. The general consensus is that your product lacks quality and anyone who purchases one will most certainly have problems with it falling apart. As one poster pointed out, lack of quality is the main reason your bags are mostly located at discount stores now. It is just a matter of time before you go out of business as do most companies who have neither integrity nor satisfactory customer service.

I am thankful i wasted money on only one of your bags! That bag is now in the garbage can, as i would not consider giving something with such shoddy workmanship to our local homeless shelter!!"

you go girl!!!

Reading this thread certainly makes me glad I returned the $250 bag I picked out at Nordstrom and got a Michael Kors bag instead. I must admit- I loved the design of the B. Makowsky bag and it was a beautiful color red, but I couldn't justify that purchase when I found out that the bags are often heavily discounted at TJ Maxx/Marshalls.

Reading this thread certainly makes me glad I returned the $250 bag I picked out at Nordstrom and got a Michael Kors bag instead. I must admit- I loved the design of the B. Makowsky bag and it was a beautiful color red, but I couldn't justify that purchase when I found out that the bags are often heavily discounted at TJ Maxx/Marshalls.
Yes....speaking of seeing so many of these bags at TJM and Marshalls, it makes me wonder why they are so prevalent, at least in the stores near me. Why would I ever get one at full price?

I LOVE my Michael Kors Astor Grommet bag!!! :yahoo: