Authenticate This DOONEY & BOURKE

Please post authenticity questions related to DOONEY & BOURKE in this thread.

Note: The PurseForum requests that only members with extensive knowledge of the brand and authenticating who have over 500 posts participate as authenticators in this AT thread. The moderators reserve the right to remove authentications that do not meet these requirements.

Please follow the following rules:

Before you submit a request for authentication, please search this thread to make sure that the item has not previously been authenticated. This is not a thread to ask general questions about DOONEY & BOURKE; please refer to our Handbags & Purses forum for such information.

This is a free service, but it is imperative that you help our authenticators by using the following format:

Item:
Listing number:
Seller:
Link:
Comments:
If the bag in question is not on an auction site, please use the following:

Item Name (if you know it):
Link (if available):
Then attach any photos (all authentication must include photos.)

• Authenticators are not required to answer every request and it is their right to ignore a request that is not in the proper format.
  • Please note that comments on price and condition are NOT permitted.
  • Do NOT PM an authenticator or moderator to request authentication. Any and all such requests should be posted in this thread.

Should one of your items be questioned in this thread, you are welcome to provide additional pictures or materials supporting its authenticity.

Do not handle your disputes with other members in this thread but take your differences to Private Messages. Failure to do so can result in banning.

Please utilize the "Quote" feature when responding directly to another post.

Disclaimer

All Authenticate This threads on tPF are meant to provide assistance to shoppers who are uncertain about the legitimacy and authenticity of designer goods. The evaluations posted by tPF's members are only opinions that stem from personal experiences as shoppers and collectors. They are not legally binding or professional authentications and should not be treated as such.

For questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to contact the forum administration via the forum's contact form.

That's cool! Is there a website with these various styles listed? It would kinda neat to have a name to put with my new babies as I get them.
Be careful of "authenticity" guides you find on the internet. Anyone can write a guide, anyone can claim to be an expert and anyone can copy and paste someone else's guide. Most guides are at best, incomplete. Some are obsolete and others are just plan completely inaccurate and the misinformation in them often results in honest sellers being accused of selling fakes.

dreaming_of_beautiful_dooneys
s.gif
has a number of really good and informative guides. She's also very helpful in sharing advice and information if contacted with questions.

http://search.reviews.ebay.com/memb...oneys?uan=dreaming_of_beautiful_dooneys&uqt=g

@ BB, Dooneyexpert or any others:
this is an item that I have acquired that is not currently for sale.
No cloth tag. The leather trim, hardware, and stitching suggest to me this may be genuine but I have never seen this duffle and am honestly at a complete loss. Any opinions are appreciated. thanks ladies!
05-05Julie1948.jpg

05-05Julie1899.jpg

05-05Julie1886.jpg

05-05Julie1929.jpg

@ BB, Dooneyexpert or any others:
this is an item that I have acquired that is not currently for sale.
No cloth tag. The leather trim, hardware, and stitching suggest to me this may be genuine but I have never seen this duffle and am honestly at a complete loss. Any opinions are appreciated. thanks ladies!
05-05Julie1948.jpg

05-05Julie1899.jpg

05-05Julie1886.jpg

05-05Julie1929.jpg
So far, it looks okay. Pull the lining out and look inside, close to the zipper and edges where the tags can be hidden. It could be there and just obscured.

Item: Dooney and Bourke Alto Creamy Ivory "Shopper"
Listing number: 350558279002
Seller: zeldariley
Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/35055827900...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_3640wt_1189

I just called Dooney regarding this purchase I received today from an ebay auction, and am not totally convinced of its authenticity. The Dooney operator told me the style number (written) on the back of the paper Dooney Alto tag is correctly associated with the style of the bag, a "crescent" bag produced in 1999. So, I know it's not a "shopper". However, there are other more problematic issues. First of all, the leather is not soft, smooth, supple-ish leather like I was expecting for this item. I researched the Alto line before purchasing and, although described as a structured bag (which is what I wanted), I wasn't expecting this rather cardboardish leather. Also, there is buckling on the underside of the strap, forced crinkling on the side panels, the blue and white tag inside is basically glued (I don't see ANY stitches - just glue; seems from earlier posts this could indicate a problem with authenticity). The bag looks decently, but roughly made. Most of all, the leather is just so stiff, as indicated by the crinkling in certain areas where the sewing seems to have been a bit forced. The seller has great, positive reviews and seems totally legit. The 'Dooney and Bourke' imprint on the outside of the bag seems a little rough. I am going to try to post my own photos on here, but also check the listing which shows the bag at multiple angles.

Overall, I'm totally disappointed with the quality. Thanks so much for examining and giving feedback.

Item: Authentic DOONEY & BOURKE All Leather Creme Off-White Tan Vachetta Shoulder Bag
Listing number: 330730068634
Seller: natalieoro
Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-D...634?pt=US_CSA_WH_Handbags&hash=item4d010c5a9a
Comments: Seller was selling a definite fake kate spade that she got from a "reputable dealer." I wonder if all her bags are fake! She was very nice, though!

Item: Authentic Dooney & Bourke $50 Brown Flap Signature Wristlet Clutch Purse GREAT!
Listing number: 330727624121
Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-D...121?pt=US_CSA_WH_Handbags&hash=item4d00e70db9
Comments: Seller was selling a definite fake kate spade that she got from a "reputable dealer." I wonder if all her bags are fake! She was very nice, though!

Item: Authentic Dooney & Bourke Black Flap Buckle Signature Wristlet Clutch Purse MINT
Listing number: 330729732646
Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-D...646?pt=US_CSA_WH_Handbags&hash=item4d01073a26
Her Dooneys are authentic.

Item: Dooney and Bourke Alto Creamy Ivory "Shopper"
Listing number: 350558279002
Seller: zeldariley
Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/35055827900...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_3640wt_1189

I just called Dooney regarding this purchase I received today from an ebay auction, and am not totally convinced of its authenticity. The Dooney operator told me the style number (written) on the back of the paper Dooney Alto tag is correctly associated with the style of the bag, a "crescent" bag produced in 1999. So, I know it's not a "shopper". However, there are other more problematic issues. First of all, the leather is not soft, smooth, supple-ish leather like I was expecting for this item. I researched the Alto line before purchasing and, although described as a structured bag (which is what I wanted), I wasn't expecting this rather cardboardish leather. Also, there is buckling on the underside of the strap, forced crinkling on the side panels, the blue and white tag inside is basically glued (I don't see ANY stitches - just glue; seems from earlier posts this could indicate a problem with authenticity). The bag looks decently, but roughly made. Most of all, the leather is just so stiff, as indicated by the crinkling in certain areas where the sewing seems to have been a bit forced. The seller has great, positive reviews and seems totally legit. The 'Dooney and Bourke' imprint on the outside of the bag seems a little rough. I am going to try to post my own photos on here, but also check the listing which shows the bag at multiple angles.

Overall, I'm totally disappointed with the quality. Thanks so much for examining and giving feedback.
Your link to pictures isn't working but I can see enough in the listing to know that
the bag is authentic. Alto bags are stiff and rather "funny" feeling. It's a collection you either love or hate. There's not much in between.

Remember that Dooney isn't on a level with Hermes or LV or other high end bags and their items, though nice quality aren't going to have the perfect details that you'll find in a premium brand. But you aren't paying the premium megabucks prices either.

Now for my rant. I've never received accurate information from Dooney phone help and I know of others who've also been given misinformation.

In my case, I sold a bag to a guy who was also looking for the matching wallet for his wife. He called Dooney, who told him that the bag was never made in the color I sold and that the bag had to be fake.

I called Dooney, spoke to a supervisor who agreed that he was given inaccurate info, my bag was an exclusive color and style made for QVC and it was indeed the real deal (which I knew!) She told me she'd tell the other person of her error and would offer more "training" to their phone help.

Obviously, that didn't happen because since my own bad experience, I'm personally aware of at least 4 other instances of bad info so I can only imagine how much they screw up.

As for the paper tag, anything that is removable and/or replaceable can never be used to "prove" authenticity. Tags, registration cards, fobs, etc. can fall off, be replaced or mixed up and put back with the incorrect bag.

Again, the bag is authentic.
I like those vintage ones!
It's not vintage. It would be about 8-10 years old (at most) and vintage is considered to be 20+ years old.

Thanks BB. Just what I needed to hear. I just didn't want to get taken and I get everything you're saying. I should have "researched" a little differently, I guess - by going to an actual store and seeing one in person. Interesting that this was made in the '90s, if the Dooney agent was right on that point. I knew it wasn't current but I would have guessed it was only a few years old. She also told me the leather should be "soft." While I know such assessments are subjective as to "feel", it only reinforced my concern. By my description, she thought the bag seemed suspicious, and my last recourse would have been to send the bag to the company to assess the authenticity. Not going to do that now - I trust your judgment and you have laid the issue to rest. My fault for not being more discerning about the quality statements I'd read in several places. My expectations proved a little high...Thanks again!

Thanks BB. Just what I needed to hear. I just didn't want to get taken and I get everything you're saying. I should have "researched" a little differently, I guess - by going to an actual store and seeing one in person. Interesting that this was made in the '90s, if the Dooney agent was right on that point. I knew it wasn't current but I would have guessed it was only a few years old. She also told me the leather should be "soft." While I know such assessments are subjective as to "feel", it only reinforced my concern. By my description, she thought the bag seemed suspicious, and my last recourse would have been to send the bag to the company to assess the authenticity. Not going to do that now - I trust your judgment and you have laid the issue to rest. My fault for not being more discerning about the quality statements I'd read in several places. My expectations proved a little high...Thanks again!
Just for further confirmation of authenticity (though I see nothing that indicates otherwise), if you post pictures of both sides of the red, white and blue tag with serial number, that would help.

But again, this isn't the first time they've misled callers and I'm sure it won't be the last. (And Dooney isn't along in doing this. Coach does it too.)