Authenticate This DOONEY & BOURKE

Please post authenticity questions related to DOONEY & BOURKE in this thread.

Note: The PurseForum requests that only members with extensive knowledge of the brand and authenticating who have over 500 posts participate as authenticators in this AT thread. The moderators reserve the right to remove authentications that do not meet these requirements.

Please follow the following rules:

Before you submit a request for authentication, please search this thread to make sure that the item has not previously been authenticated. This is not a thread to ask general questions about DOONEY & BOURKE; please refer to our Handbags & Purses forum for such information.

This is a free service, but it is imperative that you help our authenticators by using the following format:

Item:
Listing number:
Seller:
Link:
Comments:
If the bag in question is not on an auction site, please use the following:

Item Name (if you know it):
Link (if available):
Then attach any photos (all authentication must include photos.)

• Authenticators are not required to answer every request and it is their right to ignore a request that is not in the proper format.
  • Please note that comments on price and condition are NOT permitted.
  • Do NOT PM an authenticator or moderator to request authentication. Any and all such requests should be posted in this thread.

Should one of your items be questioned in this thread, you are welcome to provide additional pictures or materials supporting its authenticity.

Do not handle your disputes with other members in this thread but take your differences to Private Messages. Failure to do so can result in banning.

Please utilize the "Quote" feature when responding directly to another post.

Disclaimer

All Authenticate This threads on tPF are meant to provide assistance to shoppers who are uncertain about the legitimacy and authenticity of designer goods. The evaluations posted by tPF's members are only opinions that stem from personal experiences as shoppers and collectors. They are not legally binding or professional authentications and should not be treated as such.

For questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to contact the forum administration via the forum's contact form.

Can any one verify this as a Vintage Dooney & Bourke All Weather Leather Large Equestrian Cross Body handbag

I believe it is from 1981-82 or from 1985 because there is no label in the bag and from what I understand bags during those years were not labeled. This was been authenticated on Listia auction site by their moderator. So I believe it to be Authentic but I do not know I would like to have someone here take a look and double check.
I have tried reading the threads here to find one but I have not see it. Then I may have missed it.

I hope this is posted correctly. If not can someone please tell me how to post to #1 as it said in the instructions.

thank you for your time and help
Have a Blessed Day

Attachments

• a Dooney bourke (8) (1024x710).jpg
    a Dooney bourke (8) (1024x710).jpg
    470 KB · Views: 2,461
  • a Dooney bourke (9) (1024x710).jpg
    a Dooney bourke (9) (1024x710).jpg
    476.5 KB · Views: 2,672
  • a Dooney bourke (10) (1024x710).jpg
    a Dooney bourke (10) (1024x710).jpg
    469.5 KB · Views: 2,634
  • a Dooney bourke (6) (1024x710).jpg
    a Dooney bourke (6) (1024x710).jpg
    524.2 KB · Views: 2,481
  • a Dooney bourke (7) (1024x710).jpg
    a Dooney bourke (7) (1024x710).jpg
    543.7 KB · Views: 2,499
  • a Dooney bourke (1) (1024x710).jpg
    a Dooney bourke (1) (1024x710).jpg
    405.7 KB · Views: 2,434
  • a Dooney bourke (2) (1024x710).jpg
    a Dooney bourke (2) (1024x710).jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 2,438
  • a Dooney bourke (4) (1024x710).jpg
    a Dooney bourke (4) (1024x710).jpg
    414.2 KB · Views: 2,483
  • a Dooney bourke (5) (1024x710).jpg
    a Dooney bourke (5) (1024x710).jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 2,386
  • a Dooney bourke (11) (1024x710).jpg
    a Dooney bourke (11) (1024x710).jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 2,258
Can any one verify this as a Vintage Dooney & Bourke All Weather Leather Large Equestrian Cross Body handbag

I believe it is from 1981-82 or from 1985 because there is no label in the bag and from what I understand bags during those years were not labeled. This was been authenticated on Listia auction site by their moderator. So I believe it to be Authentic but I do not know I would like to have someone here take a look and double check.
I have tried reading the threads here to find one but I have not see it. Then I may have missed it.

I hope this is posted correctly. If not can someone please tell me how to post to #1 as it said in the instructions.

thank you for your time and help
Have a Blessed Day
The bag is definitely 100% genuine Dooney! Nice find.

Hi all, thanks in advance for any help you can give me. Have just bought a few vintage d&b off ebay and this one sticks out like a sore thumb:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251056410666?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Here's what I find wrong with it, in addition to overall 'feel'.

1. The stitching around the duck logo is very poor, see photo.

2. The stitching is bright yellow not pale yellow.

3. The rivets are not stamped 'Dooney and Burke' as they are on all d&b.

4. The buckle is chrome, all d&b hardware is brass (?)

5. The leather doesn't feel 'right'.

6. The only tag in the bag says 'made in Korea'. This seems to be Teton style. Were they making bags in Korea at that time? (never seen a Korean AWL bag anyway, but I could be wrong).

7. The duck logo has a weird 'two-tone' quality about it.

8. The seller has an active listing for a Prada with a 'made in China' label.

9. The bottom seems like it has some kind of cheap cardboard, and it has weird indentations and wrinkling.

Pix here:

dbfake-1 by dentonTay, on Flickr

dbfake-2 by dentonTay, on Flickr

dbfake-3 by dentonTay, on Flickr

dbfake-4 by dentonTay, on Flickr

Hi all, thanks in advance for any help you can give me. Have just bought a few vintage d&b off ebay and this one sticks out like a sore thumb:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251056410666?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Here's what I find wrong with it, in addition to overall 'feel'.

1. The stitching around the duck logo is very poor, see photo.

2. The stitching is bright yellow not pale yellow. There are different shades of yellow thread that are used on authentic Dooneys so the color isn't necessarily indicative of fake.

3. The rivets are not stamped 'Dooney and Burke' as they are on all d&b. Not all Dooney rivets are stamped, so stamps/no stamps don't mean authentic/fake.

4. The buckle is chrome, all d&b hardware is brass (?) I do believe that there are some authentic Dooneys that do use nickel/silver-toned hardware.

5. The leather doesn't feel 'right'. The reason is doesn't "feel right" is because it's not leather; it's pleather.

Another comment about AWL concerning the coloring and texture is that the pebbling is NEVER 2-toned. Genuine Dooney all weather leather is uniform in color and doesn't have a lighter colored background with darker raised pebbling.

6. The only tag in the bag says 'made in Korea'. This seems to be Teton style. Were they making bags in Korea at that time? (never seen a Korean AWL bag anyway, but I could be wrong). Correct

7. The duck logo has a weird 'two-tone' quality about it.

8. The seller has an active listing for a Prada with a 'made in China' label.

9. The bottom seems like it has some kind of cheap cardboard, and it has weird indentations and wrinkling.

Pix here:

dbfake-1 by dentonTay, on Flickr

dbfake-2 by dentonTay, on Flickr

dbfake-3 by dentonTay, on Flickr

dbfake-4 by dentonTay, on Flickr
The bag is absolutely fake and if you are the winner, you should tell the seller you want a refund of your full payment, including shipping. And IMO, if she wants the fake back, she should cover return shipping too.

Just so she knows, though, even if she gets it back, she cannot resell it. Fakes are illegal and even selling it as fake, it can't be done.

Further comments and corrections to misconceptions are in red above.

The bag is absolutely fake and if you are the winner, you should tell the seller you want a refund of your full payment, including shipping. And IMO, if she wants the fake back, she should cover return shipping too.

Just so she knows, though, even if she gets it back, she cannot resell it. Fakes are illegal and even selling it as fake, it can't be done.

Further comments and corrections to misconceptions are in red above.

Thanks so much. The seller has agreed to refund my money and have it picked up with a FedEx call tag at her expense. If I see it again in her listings, I will report it.

Thanks so much. The seller has agreed to refund my money and have it picked up with a FedEx call tag at her expense. If I see it again in her listings, I will report it.
I'm glad she's doing the right thing. Please get a receipt and tracking from Fedex so in the event she claims non-receipt, you'll have proof that it went back to her.

I just got another one. I hope you don't mind. This freaked me out so much that I went thru all 34 bags I recently bought. I think I have this, and possibly another. If you fail these three that means 10% are fakes :sad:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251059931733?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

The workmanship and the stitching are much better than the last one I posted above. However it has a 'Made in Korea' label.

The thing that immediately strikes me is that the bag is hard as a rock. It is 'super-structured' meaning it doesn't flop. It feels like leather over stiff cardboard. If you knock on it you expect a voice from inside to invite you in. Plus I felt some of the hardware was a little below-grade:

bag1-1 by dentonTay, on Flickr

bag1-2 by dentonTay, on Flickr

bag1-3 by dentonTay, on Flickr

bag1-4 by dentonTay, on Flickr

This is the inside flap

bag1-5 by dentonTay, on Flickr

Were any D&B made in Korea?