Authenticate This COACH - **see first post for format**

IMPORTANT READ-ME

Please post authenticity questions related to COACH in this thread. No PMs please.
For further information, please refer to the first post on page 1 of this thread.

Please follow the following requests:
  • Before you submit a request for authentication, please search this thread to make sure that the item has not previously been authenticated by searching the seller ID and/or item number. This is not a thread to ask general questions about COACH, please refer to our main Coach forum for such information.
  • Note that authenticators have the right to refuse any requests. This is a free service, but it is imperative that you help our authenticators by using the following format:
  • FOR ITEMS LISTED ONLINE:
    Item:
    Listing number:
    Seller and site where listed
    Link:
    Comments:

• FOR ITEMS NOT LISTED ONLINE:
    Item:
    Where purchased or how obtained
    Comments:
BASIC PICTURES REQUIRED (but more may be requested): If necessary pictures are in the listing, it's not necessary to upload and duplicate them.
  • Front of item
  • Back of item
  • Full clear and legible creed text and serial number
  • Made in tags (when available)
  • Measurements
  • For bags with turnlock closures, show pictures of back of female side of turnlock
  • For bags with magnetic snaps, show pictures of the male part of the snap so that the numbers and letters on it can be read
  • If applicable, search interior of bag and/or pockets for small white tag with production information and include a picture of that.
Thank you and be safe!

It may be because you listed it as the wrong color. It is Vachetta leather and the color is natural. Maybe somebody thought it was the wrong color and fake because the leather looks darker. But your listing looked fine to me.

Hmm maybe! I wasn't sure it was vachetta leather so I listed it as whiskey because it looks similar to my Ali. Then I added natural to the listing when I saw a listing of original colors. But the previous seller's listing called it vachetta and the listing dept looked at that listing and was prepared to call it inauthentic.

Interesting, thank you! It's definitely the same style, probably late 1970s? They were still using those little fold-out mini catalogs back then, the earliest file I have of one that's made like a real catalog is from Fall 1981 and that bag's not in it. It's not in the mini 1976 or 1979 foldouts that I have either.

It looks like there's a full-length slip pocket under the flap?

I don't think it was modified, unless of was an option given from Coach. Yours is the 3rd one I've come across. The first one was on eBay and we were all discussing whether the turn lock was after market modification. Now I'm not so sure. I'm leaving towards this style existed somewhere.. maybe the catalog of that time is missing.. hrmmmm..

Ok, I have some pics of the hippie flap Stewardess hybrid! Measures 12"wide x 9.5"high x 4.5"deep. IMG_1498331019.213859.jpgIMG_1498331027.414028.jpgIMG_1498331035.478428.jpgIMG_1498331042.824306.jpgIMG_1498331051.013401.jpgIMG_1498331057.963762.jpgIMG_1498331065.081136.jpg

Hello!

Item: Coach 10650 Leather Legacy Slim Tote
(In my possession)

I posted this bag on eBay yesterday and it was removed for being inauthentic. I didn't check here first because to me it seemed authentic albeit in bad condition. If it is fake, mea culpa! I bought in on eBay months ago as a project bag but it is beyond my skill. Please take a look at these pics and let me know if it's fake. If it is, I'll just harvest it for hardware. If it's not, is there anything I can do about eBay thinking I listed a fake? I really only use eBay to clean out my closet, so I don't have tons of selling history. Thanks in advance!

View attachment 3742309View attachment 3742310
View attachment 3742311
View attachment 3742312
View attachment 3742313

I don't see anything wrong with it. WTF is going on with Ebay? This has been happening a LOT recently, and it's BS !!!

Whew, thanks! I couldn't believe it when I saw that!

lol assuming you were replying to me :smile:

Well...
So I have called eBay and spoken to their Listing Department people. They won't tell me why it was removed but I suspect it is only because I listed it at $10 starting bid. The leather is in terrible condition, which I disclosed, so I do not believe it is worth much more than that. Honestly, I think it's probably only worth its hardware. So I stated that I had only purchased this from eBay on May 13 (feels longer!) and it wasn't flagged then. So I stated that if they aren't going to let me relist, then eBay should refund my previous purchase. They ask if I want to start a refund, and I said yes. So then, they start a refund, and forward me to another department. It's when I'm talking to that department that I realize they want the previous seller to refund me. I said, no, it's not the previous seller's fault that you incorrectly flagged this as inauthentic. I do NOT want the previous seller to pay for this. So they send me back to the listings people and I talk to another person who tells me they have "secret Coach information" (I'm afraid I may have repeated that back to her with clearly audible quotation marks surrounding it) that shows this bag is inauthentic and that they can't reveal it to me because they don't want it to get out to people who create fake bags. So I said I wanted to speak to someone else higher up and she said she'd have them call me back.

In the meantime, the poor previous seller contacted me about the return that was started inadvertently so I'm communicating with that person and they are understandably annoyed. I have apologized, but asked if they have any documentation to help me out. I don't really care about the money..." Oh, ebay is calling back! More later...

So they won't tell me what's wrong, they won't let me relist, and they won't admit they are wrong. I'm closing my ebay account.

ps - sorry for melodrama - I just get annoyed with bad customer service and multi-million dollar companies wanting to punish innocent people like the seller. Ugh. I did close my account - it will save me from buying anyway. I'll stick to yard sales and thrift stores for a while. :smile:

It may be because you listed it as the wrong color. It is Vachetta leather and the color is natural. Maybe somebody thought it was the wrong color and fake because the leather looks darker. But your listing looked fine to me.

Hmm maybe! I wasn't sure it was vachetta leather so I listed it as whiskey because it looks similar to my Ali. Then I added natural to the listing when I saw a listing of original colors. But the previous seller's listing called it vachetta and the listing dept looked at that listing and was prepared to call it inauthentic.
And yet again, ebay f-s up and removes another authentic item. Yet, I've been reporting a POS from Goodwill that is still up (and has sold).

While I realize that you've closed your account (and I don't blame you for being pissed), I'm curious about a few things.
1. What exactly did the takedown notice say?
2. How many pictures were in the listing?
3. How detailed was your description?
4. Did you imply in any way that you weren't sure of authenticity? Could that have been interpreted as an authenticity disclaimer?

There is an appeals process and it's very possible you may not even have to invest in a professional authentication. I do get that a $7.50 investment in an authentication isn't cost effective for a bag that might sell for <$20.

Sheesh, Ebay! Get it right for a change!

Hi there
This may be just me being suspicious, but is this bag authentic? This seller has a large number of excellent condition city bags...which seems...dubious. There isn't much in the way of closeups. Thank you in advance!

Item: 132232656381
Listing number:
Seller: habs2525
Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Coa...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Item: 132232656970
Listing number:
Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Coach-City-Bag-/132232656970?hash=item1ec9ae384a:g:2bIAAOSw1~JZSVL-

Hi there
This may be just me being suspicious, but is this bag authentic? This seller has a large number of excellent condition city bags...which seems...dubious. There isn't much in the way of closeups. Thank you in advance!

Listing number:
Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Coach-City-Bag/132232656381?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Listing number:
Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Coach-City-Bag-/132232656970?hash=item1ec9ae384a:g:2bIAAOSw1~JZSVL-
Hi there
Both are authentic.

ETA: It's an interesting seller. She must find styles she likes and buy them in every color! None of her listings are a onesie!

Last edited:
Hi there

Listing number:
Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Coach-City-Bag/132232656381?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Listing number:

They all look genuine. Other than the seller calling a few of them "vintage" that aren't the full 20 years old yet, and not showing enough photos of the bags to give any idea of the bags' condition, I don't see any problems. If there was one I was interested in I'd definitely ask for more photos of the inside and the high-wear areas in the corners.

There's no doubt in my mind that it's genuine, but you should post a few photos at the Vintage Coach Photos and Chat thread. It sounds like they've already discussed similar bags so you might want to check that thread for other questions and photos.
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/vintage-coach-photos-chat.857690/

Reactions: rkiz
Sorry some of the pics double uploaded. While the stains were disclosed and I made an offer based on that, it arrived and it was clear it had been treated with something that made it very shiny. I assume maybe it was some sort of protectant : /
An interesting anonmaly, one of the handles was sewn on backwards. The handle on the right laying on top should have been sewn with the edge of the leather facing in toward the other handle. It results in a handle with a twist.

Last edited: