Are Rolexes really worth the money?

could somebody tell me where in the world I can still get a Rolex Daytona...I'm aching for one...I'm willing to buy a used one...I just want one dammit..:nuts:

It's not that difficult to get any Daytona, you just have to order and patiently wait or get lucky to come across one but if you want the 'real deal' (i.e. the vintage ones that Gianni Agnelli wore in the 1980s, I've been told new versions suck :upsidedown:) then you are going to have to bite your lip to get it, some crazy work colleague just got a 1970 stainless one and he paid more than an average US yearly wage for it!

But if you are interested in Daytona or any high-quality vintage Rolex, have a look at this website (they have a brick-and-mortar shop in central London near Bond Street so they are respectable):
Vintage Watch - Home

hi ozzysmom...i love your rolex too...thats what i was asking hubby to get me...i already have a two tone lady datejust but i cant use it everyday..i feel its too formal for malling :smile:

I don't have one, but my husband has one. In his family, when soemone graduates from college, they get a sweet rolex (nice tradition, right?) his mom and dad engraved it with a message.

his mom passed away from a stroke 2 yrs later..and i know the watch is so important for him for sentimental sake as well as being a beautiful, timeless piece.

it holds its value
it is amechanical watch (automatic)
it withstands all situations in daily life with not problems
it is waterproof
it is good looking
:yes: buy it
Are all the Rolexes waterproof? The submariner, etc obviously are, but what about the datejusts? Also, the women's watches are NOT automatic, but the men's are.

I dunno if you've gotten it or not, but the alternative to a Rolex is a Tudor (I"m not sure if they're owned by Rolex or if they just use the same movements). They're good if you want one for practical/style reasons, but they obviously don't hold the same kind of status. The good thing is that you don't have to worry about fakes . . .the people who make them would rather badge it as a rolex than bother marking it tudor. I've heard very good stuff about them from a friend who has 14 high end watches including 3 rolexes, 3 omegas, panerai, tag heuer, breightling, IWC etc.

I think that if you're buying it because you really like it, or if you have a professional job where you need to impress clients, etc, then yes it's worth the money. But if you want accuracy in a watch, NO, it's not worth it. Get a seiko instead...they are much mroe accurate.

Are all the Rolexes waterproof? The submariner, etc obviously are, but what about the datejusts?

Yes the datejusts are waterproof. I got a SS and White Gold Ladies Datejust with Diamond Jubilee dial as a graduation gift from my parents. The Rolex Cellini line of watches are not waterproof though. They told me you can wash your hands with those, but not swim with them.